question for Andrew

Whatever forum news there might be...see here...and suggest any new forums.

Moderator: Andrew

question for Andrew

Postby Monker » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:12 am

When was this interview done:

http://www.melodicrock.com/interviews/nealschon.html

I seem to remember it being done during or after the tour with Foreigner, and long before the release of Arrival...maybe sometime in 1999. Is that accurate?

It conatains this quote:

How about the story that Steve Perry would record the new album, and Augeri tour with it?
No, that was something that was talked about and I couldn't really see the purpose in that.
You know, in the end.

It was always my impression from this quote, combined with other things that were said, that this decision was made by Journey long before the recording of Arrival.

I would like to know because of some of DV's comments about Perry recording Arrival.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Re: question for Andrew

Postby NoMoreTails » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:12 pm

Monker wrote:When was this interview done:

I seem to remember it being done during or after the tour with Foreigner, and long before the release of Arrival...maybe sometime in 1999. Is that accurate?

It conatains this quote:

How about the story that Steve Perry would record the new album, and Augeri tour with it?
No, that was something that was talked about and I couldn't really see the purpose in that.
You know, in the end.

It was always my impression from this quote, combined with other things that were said, that this decision was made by Journey long before the recording of Arrival.

I would like to know because of some of DV's comments about Perry recording Arrival.

Not Andrew, hope its ok for someone else to weigh in...wouldn't this interview have been mid-1998? They planned on recording a new album much earlier than Arrival was done, Sony sent them back on the road in 1999 to prove themselves further before agreeing to have them record a new album...so the who would sing decision was made long before Arrival, but the album was recorded two years later and released three years later. But Neal is wishy washy on some things, the "talk" or "debate" about having Perry sing in the studio and someone else live may just have been a passing thought he and Cain had. Notice how Neal is talking up the chemistry between he and SA here, calling him a chameleon here as he later would JSS, years later acting as if he and SA had little or no chemistry compare with he and JSS. They wanted SA to be a Perry impersonator and now act like that was a problem him as JSS can do his own thing.
NoMoreTails
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:10 am

Wow, that's an old post....four years old.

It conatains this quote:

You know, in the end.

Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby JeremyP » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:04 am

I'd love to hear some more comments on this as well. Thanks for yours, NoMoreTails.
JeremyP
LP

Postby NoMoreTails » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:42 pm

JeremyP wrote:I'd love to hear some more comments on this as well. Thanks for yours, NoMoreTails.

I mentioned it a couple of times before in other threads and find it interesting that Neal has said the same things about JSS that he had said about SA eight years before. No one else seems to agree as there is never much of a response, and probably less here, this not being the Journey forum.
I think they may have learned from the past and JSS will probably be allowed to bring more of his own thing whereas Sony pushed Augeri to do the Perry thing with Arrival and Journey reinforced that with doing only greatest hits tours for the most part. Finally Red 13 and Gens contained some of SA's own style (The Time/Better Together/Out of Harms Way). I think JSS will be more assertive in trying to bring more of his own energy, while still bringing the Perryisms to the old material.
NoMoreTails
Cassette Tape

Postby Andrew » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:56 am

Monker - is this still an open question needing a response, or something old that got tossed back up with my revamp?
Andrew
Administrator

Return to MR Site Updates, Forum News & Requests