Forty Trips Around the Sun DVD

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Forty Trips Around the Sun DVD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Luke has said they will be filming for a new DVD. What songs do you want on it?
Off the top of my head, Manuela Run or Rockmaker. Also, Make Believe...I think Joe can kill that.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Re: Forty Trips Around the Sun DVD

Postby majik » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:24 pm

I can tell you what I don't want on it.
Africa, Rosanna and Hold The Line. I'm over it.
majik
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:36 am

majik wrote:I can tell you what I don't want on it.

No avoiding that sadly. I think the sets for FIB and Poland had a pretty good balance of old, rare, and new. Would love more Tambu or Isolation.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby DracIsBack » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:34 pm

majik wrote:I can tell you what I don't want on it.

LOL - I hear you. But it will never happen.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:35 pm

With Joe back in the band, "Only The Children" and "Could This Be Love" are at the top of my list.

Would love full live versions of "Endless", "Isolation"...really anything off the Isolation album, but I know that's a long shot. Hoping for some archival live recordings at some point in 2018 that cover these tours.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby DracIsBack » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:33 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:With Joe back in the band, "Only The Children" and "Could This Be Love" are at the top of my list.

Would love full live versions of "Endless", "Isolation"...really anything off the Isolation album, but I know that's a long shot. Hoping for some archival live recordings at some point in 2018 that cover these tours.

I feel so fortunate to have seen the band play with Fergie one last time at the Trocaderos Club in Minneapolis in 2007. Angel Don't Cry and Isolation were performed that night - by Fergie!
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:41 am

DracIsBack wrote:
WalrusOct9 wrote:With Joe back in the band, "Only The Children" and "Could This Be Love" are at the top of my list.

I feel so fortunate to have seen the band play with Fergie one last time at the Trocaderos Club in Minneapolis in 2007. Angel Don't Cry and Isolation were performed that night - by Fergie!

Special memory for sure.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:41 am

Till the End would also be great.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:15 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Yeah. Although that and CTBL are really the only two Fahrenheit tracks I come back to regularly, for some reason. I don't know why that album has never clicked with me...too many slow/mellow tunes, I guess, compared with the records immediately before and after it.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Sidenote, in thinking about this.

We have FIVE post-80's, post-Jeff live albums. (I'd love to know the story of why "Absolutely Live" exists...contractual obligation? But that's another topic for another day) Six, assuming another one comes out next year.

And yet zero from the band's "classic" era, and only the recently released Montreaux as a live document of Jeff, albeit a shorter set and without Bobby, Fergie, or Joe. The thing I'd like to see, more than remastered albums or another latter-day live set, is some kind of live release.

Years ago, Yes released a live box set that culled together around 3 1/2 hours of live material from 1970-88, focusing on songs, lineups, and performances that had been overlooked on previous releases. The sources were the best available, but not always pristine or perfect, but it was still really nice to have them. I'd love for Toto to do something like this as part of the anniversary...just find two or three hours of great performances from all the Jeff-era lineups, get them sounding as nice as possible, even if they aren't up to modern standards, and put it out for the fans, as a tribute to Jeff (and Mike!). I feel like there has to be some interest in this somewhere.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:50 pm

WalrusOct9 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Yeah. Although that and CTBL are really the only two Fahrenheit tracks I come back to regularly, for some reason. I don't know why that album has never clicked with me...too many slow/mellow tunes, I guess, compared with the records immediately before and after it.

The album is very West Coast pop. All great songs tho. Isolation before it had shades of dark melodic rock and Fergie just attacks those vocals w/out mercy.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:38 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
The album is very West Coast pop. All great songs tho. Isolation before it had shades of dark melodic rock and Fergie just attacks those vocals w/out mercy.

Less pop, more rock. :lol:
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:29 pm

WalrusOct9 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Less pop, more rock. :lol:

I think The 7th one got the balance a little better. I'm actually a big fan of Mindfields because it's so long it touches upon virtually all types of genres. Obviously Kingdom of Desire is the band rocking at its hardest.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:15 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
I think The 7th one got the balance a little better. I'm actually a big fan of Mindfields because it's so long it touches upon virtually all types of genres. Obviously Kingdom of Desire is the band rocking at its hardest.

Mindfields has some of my favorite ever Toto tracks. But then it also goes on for another 30 extra minutes. :lol: I like that they experimented a bit on it, but there's most definitely some straight-up filler too.

The weirder thing about it, is that basically the last half of the record is the keeper half...the best songs ("Balance," "Mad About You," "Better World," "Cruel," etc) are all on the second half of the US version. But there's a killer 40-minute LP-length album in there.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby leftovertu » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:45 pm

Admittedly, I've always been more of a "deep cut" guy than a "greatest hits" guy, so with that in mind, some of my choices would be
Mama
Make Believe
Isolation
Only the Children
The Road Goes On (the full version, like they did on the last tour)
Goin' Home
Caught in the Balance
Dying On My Feet
Spiritual Man

also, maybe an acoustic medley incorporating parts or all of How Does It Feel, Lea, Out of Love, I Will Remember, and Simple Life

That's not too much to ask, right? lol.....
leftovertu
Radio Waves

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:14 am

leftovertu wrote:Admittedly, I've always been more of a "deep cut" guy than a "greatest hits" guy, so with that in mind, some of my choices would be
Mama
Make Believe
Isolation
Only the Children
The Road Goes On (the full version, like they did on the last tour)
Goin' Home
Caught in the Balance
Dying On My Feet
Spiritual Man

also, maybe an acoustic medley incorporating parts or all of How Does It Feel, Lea, Out of Love, I Will Remember, and Simple Life

That's not too much to ask, right? lol.....

Great picks. Spiritual Man on FIB is almost a classic. Wish it was just Dave and Bobby. When Greg comes on, the song ceases to soar.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby leftovertu » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:11 pm

(Great picks. Spiritual Man on FIB is almost a classic. Wish it was just Dave and Bobby. When Greg comes on, the song ceases to soar.)

Same! I love Greg's work on "Let it Go," but agree with you on your point above.
leftovertu
Radio Waves

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:11 am

I like Greg's verse on "Spiritual Man." No one else in the band could've sung it that way. All three singers are so different, and I think it makes for a really cool recording, for what could've otherwise been a really dull song (it's basically the same two-bar chord progression the entire tune).
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:51 pm

WalrusOct9 wrote:I like Greg's verse on "Spiritual Man." No one else in the band could've sung it that way. All three singers are so different, and I think it makes for a really cool recording, for what could've otherwise been a really dull song (it's basically the same two-bar chord progression the entire tune).

I disagree, but that's cool. Everyone has an opinion. I like Greg alot on Let It Go.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:27 am

Only other option was Luke, and I don't think his voice would've fit the song at all. Maybe they could've switched the 3rd and 4th verses to put Bobby's last?

I still think it's kind of amazing they made a compelling track out of a song with no chorus, no solos, and no bridge...delegating verses was the way to do it. But that's why they're better than most bands.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:04 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:Only other option was Luke, and I don't think his voice would've fit the song at all. Maybe they could've switched the 3rd and 4th verses to put Bobby's last?

I still think it's kind of amazing they made a compelling track out of a song with no chorus, no solos, and no bridge...delegating verses was the way to do it. But that's why they're better than most bands.

More Bobby needed on this particular one.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Anymajordude » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:24 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Luke has said they will be filming for a new DVD. What songs do you want on it?
Off the top of my head, Manuela Run or Rockmaker. Also, Make Believe...I think Joe can kill that.

My votes go to In a word, A thousand years, Rockmaker, We made it, We can make it tonight, I think I could stand you. Perhaps a medley with a few of those.
Anymajordude
Radio Waves

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:00 pm

Anymajordude wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Luke has said they will be filming for a new DVD. What songs do you want on it?

My votes go to In a word, A thousand years, Rockmaker, We made it, We can make it tonight, I think I could stand you. Perhaps a medley with a few of those.

Great picks.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby r@y » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:31 pm

Easy one this.

For me, I'd like to see these songs done live :

In A Word
Isolation
Mad About You
Anna
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby Anymajordude » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:00 pm

Anna is a nice tune. That, A Thousand years and These chains of the TSO album are all great "deep cuts" (well). And they sound AWESOME when blasted to 11 on my stereo!
Anymajordude
Radio Waves

Postby WalrusOct9 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:30 am

"Mad About You" would be great to hear Joe sing, especially since he wrote the damn thing. :lol:

Always wondered what the backstory is on that one.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Return to Toto