Alone

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Alone

Postby tedpruitt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:13 am

TNC -- any idea who's drumming on this track? Shannon?

More importantly - is Joseph drinking the blood of sacrificed virgins, because I'm pretty sure his voice is getting younger with each record. He's like the Benjamin Button of rock vocals!

--T
tedpruitt
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:33 am

Re: Alone

Postby tedpruitt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:55 am

There's a post on Nov. 23rd on Luke's twitter to Vinnie Colaiuta thanking him for playing on the new track -- thought the syncopation on that was off the charts...nice.
tedpruitt
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:33 am

Re: Alone

Postby WalrusOct9 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:27 am

Yeah, it's Vinnie. Shannon is still very much involved with Toto, but he lives in Nashville, so they cut this tune with Vinnie, who I know goes way back with Luke. No idea if Shannon played on other new songs that are coming out.
-Steve C.
User avatar
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:13 pm
Location: Nashville

Re: Alone

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:46 pm

tedpruitt wrote:TNC -- any idea who's drumming on this track? Shannon?

More importantly - is Joseph drinking the blood of sacrificed virgins, because I'm pretty sure his voice is getting younger with each record. He's like the Benjamin Button of rock vocals!

--T


How awesome is it that we will now have 4 Joseph TOTO albums? Always felt that his era was cut short. Great tune and yea, I want to know Joe's vocal routine.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 13517
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: Alone

Postby tedpruitt » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:59 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:How awesome is it that we will now have 4 Joseph TOTO albums? Always felt that his era was cut short. Great tune and yea, I want to know Joe's vocal routine.

Couldn't agree more. The really crazy thing is that when most lead singers cut their career short by abusing their voice (over-touring, substance abuse, whatever...) -- they never get it back. Where I become more and more impressed is how he seems to be recovering nearly his full range, step-by-step - even when age itself should be limiting him.

It first became apparent on the Live In Poland disc and then there were smatterings of it on XIV. But if this tune is any indicator, a new album will truly be a powerhouse - pretty much back to form. I was listening to XIV in the car last night and realized what bugs me (and PLEASE don't read this the wrong way - BIG BIG Luke fan) - it's that the guitars seem to overwhelm the mix on most songs. Whereas older Toto seems to have a much more balanced approach between the guitars and the keyboards (which I think is what makes "Alone" really stand out - much more interplay between instruments - and Vinnie's drumming - forget about it!) Really very excited about this one.

And speaking of older Toto, the re-masters, if they're done right! It would really be good to hear the subtleties of each track in some of the other albums. For instance, the Japanese SACD "IV" re-master is fantastic - both in multi-channel and 2 channel. The Hydra SACD, not so much. I'd really like to hear "Fahrenheit" and "The Seventh One" getting the full re-mastering treatment. I'm encouraged that the band were hands-on - who better knows what they were "supposed" to sound like.

Another banner year for Toto fans.
tedpruitt
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:33 am

Re: Alone

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:19 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
How awesome is it that we will now have 4 Joseph TOTO albums? Always felt that his era was cut short. Great tune and yea, I want to know Joe's vocal routine.


Is there going to be a full album of new stuff? I know they're resurrecting some outtakes, but I'm not counting that. (Unless Joe is adding his vocals to outtakes not from his time in the band, which might be a little odd)
-Steve C.
User avatar
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:13 pm
Location: Nashville

Re: Alone

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:25 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
How awesome is it that we will now have 4 Joseph TOTO albums? Always felt that his era was cut short. Great tune and yea, I want to know Joe's vocal routine.


Is there going to be a full album of new stuff? I know they're resurrecting some outtakes, but I'm not counting that. (Unless Joe is adding his vocals to outtakes not from his time in the band, which might be a little odd)


That is the plan. New album. 9 tracks. 4 totally new. The rest dusted off from the Sony vault and re-worked (some with Jeff and Mike on them.) Joe added his vocals to Chinatown which is an old Bobby-era demo, so it will be great.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 13517
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: Alone

Postby WalrusOct9 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:00 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
WalrusOct9 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
How awesome is it that we will now have 4 Joseph TOTO albums? Always felt that his era was cut short. Great tune and yea, I want to know Joe's vocal routine.


Is there going to be a full album of new stuff? I know they're resurrecting some outtakes, but I'm not counting that. (Unless Joe is adding his vocals to outtakes not from his time in the band, which might be a little odd)


That is the plan. New album. 9 tracks. 4 totally new. The rest dusted off from the Sony vault and re-worked (some with Jeff and Mike on them.) Joe added his vocals to Chinatown which is an old Bobby-era demo, so it will be great.


Awesome. I wasn't sure...they've announced that stuff is coming but details seem vague outside of this random hits compilation with "Alone" on it. Hopefully they'll release the new recordings on their own, I'd like to get it on vinyl.
-Steve C.
User avatar
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:13 pm
Location: Nashville

Re: Alone

Postby r@y » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:52 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
WalrusOct9 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
How awesome is it that we will now have 4 Joseph TOTO albums? Always felt that his era was cut short. Great tune and yea, I want to know Joe's vocal routine.


Is there going to be a full album of new stuff? I know they're resurrecting some outtakes, but I'm not counting that. (Unless Joe is adding his vocals to outtakes not from his time in the band, which might be a little odd)


That is the plan. New album. 9 tracks. 4 totally new. The rest dusted off from the Sony vault and re-worked (some with Jeff and Mike on them.) Joe added his vocals to Chinatown which is an old Bobby-era demo, so it will be great.


I think there's some change in plan, bro....

I may be wrong, but....I think its the greatest hits thingy in Feb 18 with 3 new tracks (including 1 from the vault with Jeff and Mike), and then another one later in 2018 with another 3 tracks from the vault included.

And then the new album of all new tracks.

Something like that, man. Again, I may be wrong. Think that's what Luke was alluding to.
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:10 pm

Re: Alone

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:26 am

r@y wrote:I think there's some change in plan, bro....


Link? Did Luke say something?

r@y wrote:I may be wrong, but....I think its the greatest hits thingy in Feb 18 with 3 new tracks (including 1 from the vault with Jeff and Mike), and then another one later in 2018 with another 3 tracks from the vault included.


"Forty Trips" GH cd is being released and then a box set of the remastered Sony albums will be put out. The remastered albums will also be available separately. They will contain outtakes, reworked songs, and some other yet-to-be-announced extras. The new TOTO album will contain 9 tracks. The five re-worked from the vault and four new ones (including Alone).

It's all in the press release...

"Toto will also be releasing a limited edition box set featuring remastered versions of all the band's albums and more unreleased material, including 1981-84 tracks recorded with the late members Jeff and Mike Porcaro."

"Also on 40 Trips are the new "Struck By Lightning and "Spanish Sea," one of five vintage unreleased tracks Toto found in its vaults as it prepared the box set (the other four will appear on the box and may be released with the four new songs as a standalone album later in the year)."


http://www.stevelukather.com/news-artic ... alone.aspx

r@y wrote:Something like that, man. Again, I may be wrong. Think that's what Luke was alluding to.


So ask him. He is pretty approachable on social media etc.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 13517
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: Alone

Postby r@y » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:12 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
r@y wrote:I think there's some change in plan, bro....


Link? Did Luke say something?

r@y wrote:I may be wrong, but....I think its the greatest hits thingy in Feb 18 with 3 new tracks (including 1 from the vault with Jeff and Mike), and then another one later in 2018 with another 3 tracks from the vault included.


"Forty Trips" GH cd is being released and then a box set of the remastered Sony albums will be put out. The remastered albums will also be available separately. They will contain outtakes, reworked songs, and some other yet-to-be-announced extras. The new TOTO album will contain 9 tracks. The five re-worked from the vault and four new ones (including Alone).

It's all in the press release...

"Toto will also be releasing a limited edition box set featuring remastered versions of all the band's albums and more unreleased material, including 1981-84 tracks recorded with the late members Jeff and Mike Porcaro."

"Also on 40 Trips are the new "Struck By Lightning and "Spanish Sea," one of five vintage unreleased tracks Toto found in its vaults as it prepared the box set (the other four will appear on the box and may be released with the four new songs as a standalone album later in the year)."


http://www.stevelukather.com/news-artic ... alone.aspx

r@y wrote:Something like that, man. Again, I may be wrong. Think that's what Luke was alluding to.


So ask him. He is pretty approachable on social media etc.


Ok, well....maybe I got a little bit confused then. It just seems like what Luke said earlier on this year about this whole record was a little different than what was released officially in the press last month. And you can see some of the comments on the Toto official FB page going...hang on, another GH package ? We were expecting the old songs from the vault coming out with the remastered stuff first. And this is what the reply was (based on the last few lines, I'm assuming Luke replied) :

" No one is ever happy. This is a record company choice. There ARE 10 songs you guys have never heard ! They will be out but when we resigned there were stipulations. It is FAR from Past to present ! Elliot Scheiner re-Mastered it all with us and Gavin Lurssen and his team track as well. The first 3 albums sound remixed they came out so well.. all the top and bottom and Steve Porcaro's parts ythat seemed buried are alll there now... its really cool... ... its not just a cheap money grab and unfortunately ' best of's ' are one of the few things that SELL! Not everyone is a die hard fan. AND once you are with major labels THEY have a say. Sorry you or anyone else is disappointed or upset. Considering whats on the news these days this is hardly life changing... this is a refreshing record overalll with 3 new songs we are proud of and are alll very different from each other with different singers and we ALL sing on this stuff, including a lead Vocal from Steve Porcaro to "

Anyways, just what I recall from memory. Sorry I can't find a link or anything from what was said earlier on. But I guess it doesn't matter. We get to hear at least ONE with Jeff in February and that's less than 6 weeks away or so. I'll take it either way.
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:10 pm

Re: Alone

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:42 pm

Forty Trips is obviously a done deal and out shortly. Then the remastered box set. Whether Sony will go all the way with a new TOTO album seems to be the question. Currently, the new album is comprised of half reworked vault stuff and four totally new tracks. Would love for them to record a few more, but I'll take what I can get.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 13517
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca


Return to Toto

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest