Cant Stop Loving You (Bobby K Band)

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Cant Stop Loving You (Bobby K Band)

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Looks like Bobby got himself a Joe Williams cover singer. Luke won't like this. That said, not a bad cover.
It's a shame that Bobby, like all of TOTO's singers, never really had a solo career outside of the band. As a result, he is forced to sing all of these songs he had little to zero input with. He may pride himself on being some sort of ambassador of all things TOTO-related, but this is a tad silly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOG3Rt4iaOg
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Re: Cant Stop Loving You (Bobby K Band)

Postby lordreo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:17 am

This just seems very strange to me. If this is not just a one time thing, I don't get what he's trying to do.

It was a little bit awkward when Bobby sang the songs he didn't record with Toto but getting someone else to sing those songs... Why should that still be called the Bobby Kimball Band? Next thing he's going to name the band "The TOTO Experience with Bobby Kimball" :D

EDIT: Oh and regarding the video: I don't like it, but Joseph Williams is my hero, so I might be a little biased.
lordreo
Ol' 78

Postby Marzdog » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:37 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Looks like Bobby got himself a Joe Williams cover singer. Luke won't like this. That said, not a bad cover.
It's a shame that Bobby, like all of TOTO's singers, never really had a solo career outside of the band. As a result, he is forced to sing all of these songs he had little to zero input with. He may pride himself on being some sort of ambassador of all things TOTO-related, but this is a tad silly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOG3Rt4iaOg

The guy is not even close to being in the same league as Joseph. Also, this video is from 2011.

lordreo wrote:It was a little bit awkward when Bobby sang the songs he didn't record with Toto but getting someone else to sing those songs...
The reason it felt awkward is that Bobby didn't give it his all on the songs Joe sang. When Joe sings the "Bobby" songs, it is with the heart and soul that they deserve.

This is Journey's problem as well. Arnel can try and sound similar to Perry all that Neal wants, however nobody but Perry could sing those songs with the heart and emotion that he did. JSS might not have had the sound, however, his heart and emotion was there, much like Dean. I never heard it in Augeri and certainly don't hear it in Arnel.
Marzdog
45 RPM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:20 pm

Marzdog wrote:The reason it felt awkward is that Bobby didn't give it his all on the songs Joe sang. When Joe sings the "Bobby" songs, it is with the heart and soul that they deserve.....I never heard it in Augeri and certainly don't hear it in Arnel.

This is all very subjective. Having seen both SA and Bobby live, I would say they both gave it their all, sometimes to the detriment of their own vocal health. Not sure how anyone can deny that. Bobby shouts and wails until he is practically hoarse.

Marzdog wrote:When Joe sings the "Bobby" songs, it is with the heart and soul that they deserve.

Yea, and with two back-up singers helping to do the heavy lifting. What a crap post. Does anyone remember, that only a few years back, Bobby was chosen over Joe, because Joe sounded like shredded ass? My, how quickly we forget. Joe and Bobby are both awesome in my book.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby DracIsBack » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:52 am

Marzdog wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:L
lordreo wrote:It was a little bit awkward when Bobby sang the songs he didn't record with Toto but getting someone else to sing those songs...
The reason it felt awkward is that Bobby didn't give it his all on the songs Joe sang. When Joe sings the "Bobby" songs, it is with the heart and soul that they deserve.

Sorry dude - can't agree there. I saw Bobby with him twice and he definitely gave it his all on Fergie's songs as well as on Joe's songs. He sang he as off and put his energy into all the tunes. You can tell he loves Toto and is hurt that he's not in them.

To me, it's just a more simple issue that Bobby isn't super consistent live whereas Joe generally is. But he always tried, IMO.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby DracIsBack » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:54 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Yea, and with two back-up singers helping to do the heavy lifting. What a crap post. Does anyone remember, that only a few years back, Bobby was chosen over Joe, because Joe sounded like shredded ass? My, how quickly we forget. Joe and Bobby are both awesome in my book.

Gotta disagree here too. I saw Joe this summer and he was absolutely phenomenal. He sounded fantastic. Yeah, he had two backup singers to do the super high stuff, but he nailed stuff. White Sister was just astounding live.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:00 am

DracIsBack wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Yea, and with two back-up singers helping to do the heavy lifting. What a crap post. Does anyone remember, that only a few years back, Bobby was chosen over Joe, because Joe sounded like shredded ass? My, how quickly we forget. Joe and Bobby are both awesome in my book.

Gotta disagree here too. I saw Joe this summer and he was absolutely phenomenal. He sounded fantastic. Yeah, he had two backup singers to do the super high stuff, but he nailed stuff. White Sister was just astounding live.

I think you misread my post. During the TOTO XX tour, Bobby was selected over Joe as the full-time vocalist, because Joe's voice was still not 100%. Yes, Joe has been killing it live lately and sounds phenom. But how quickly everyone forgets.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby DracIsBack » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:54 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I think you misread my post. During the TOTO XX tour, Bobby was selected over Joe as the full-time vocalist, because Joe's voice was still not 100%. Yes, Joe has been killing it live lately and sounds phenom. But how quickly everyone forgets.

That I agree with. Probably hadn't hit bottom yet. But this summer? All I can say is, "Wow, was that guy fantastic!" Honestly, losing a bunch of weight seemed to do him wonders.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby WalrusOct9 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:34 am

Playing the "benefit of the doubt" card:

Also possible this was a one-off. A local/regional singer Bobby or the band knew who wanted to do the song, and so it happened. I think if this was a regular thing, we'd have seen other videos of "Fake Joseph" pop up since 2011 when this gig happened.

No idea, just hypothesizing.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby TotoStu » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:30 am

Deleted
Last edited by TotoStu on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:44 am

Marzdog wrote:The reason it felt awkward is that Bobby didn't give it his all on the songs Joe sang. When Joe sings the "Bobby" songs, it is with the heart and soul that they deserve.

I totally disagree...I think Bobby's version of "Home Of The Brave" on the Amsterdam DVD is great. The only issues are because he's trying to sing songs originally written for someone else's voice and singing style.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby TotoStu » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:59 pm

Love Kimball singing "Pamela" on Falling In Between Live.
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby DracIsBack » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:14 am

ChickenStu wrote:Love Kimball singing "Pamela" on Falling In Between Live.

Yeah - me too!
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:26 am

Agreed. Despite the auto-tune, Bobby has a certain way of chewing his vowels and soulfully connecting with the lyrics. Unique talent.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Return to Toto