All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Simon Phillips has left Toto!!!! :(

Postby JohnH » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:09 pm

JohnH
8 Track

Re: Simon Phillips has left Toto!!!! :(

Postby Sundet » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:14 pm

I have been waiting for this to happen. I don't think he was brought back as a full band member back in 2010, but essentially only as a hired hand. When I saw them in July 2010 Lukather even failed to introduce him, which I thought was strange for a gig that was filmed for DVD (though nothing came of it).

It is a shame Phillips has left. He has come to be an integral part of the Toto sound and his contributions have been immense.

Andrew, how about an interview or news on this that go somewhat beyond the official press release blurb?
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby JohnH » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:30 pm

Yes I just read something this week he was just a hired hand . He said in last years Drumhead cover story he's left the rock world behind .
JohnH
8 Track

Postby DracIsBack » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:22 pm

Boo! This bums me up almost as much as the time Paich decided to stop touring.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby Red » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:55 am

I'm excited to hear what the new guy can bring to the sound. I expect the new record to steer in a smooth/slick direction that will fit Joseph's voice. Can't wait!!
Red
Radio Waves

Postby St.George » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:54 am

In a certain way I'm glad they parted ways with Simon. IMO the new drummer might bring a certain level of freshness to their music, and also could be a way to approach their classic sound, because his playing is much more subtle and classy and not so aggressive as Simon's.
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby RumTumJM » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:06 am

All I know is that Keith Carlock has done a lot of touring with Steely Dan. That MIGHT mean he will really grasp & invigorate the jazzy/complex vibe of Toto.

Really, the ultimate test will be how he handles the signature Porcaro Shuffle.
http://twitter.com/RockNationRadio

"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you...ROCK!"
-Brian May, Queen
RumTumJM
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:13 pm

Well this is quite a shocker. Nobody can really replace Jeff. Simon never held the groove the same way. But I'm sorry to see him go.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Red » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:34 pm

St.George wrote:In a certain way I'm glad they parted ways with Simon. IMO the new drummer might bring a certain level of freshness to their music, and also could be a way to approach their classic sound, because his playing is much more subtle and classy and not so aggressive as Simon's.

My thoughts as well.
Red
Radio Waves

Postby Sundet » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:54 am

My two favourite drummers from my two favourite bands - Simon Phillips of Toto and Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZY8raPkDys

I will certainly miss Simon as Toto's drummer, but I will of course give the new guy a chance. He certainly has his credentials sorted.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby LtVanish » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:20 am

I am really sad to hear that Simon has left the band, I love his style and sound. I am still excited about the new album and what Keith Carlock is going to bring to the band though, he is a great talent and it should be very interesting.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:00 am

From Paich's FB....

"Just to set the record straight, Simon has been an integral part of TOTO for the last 21 years. His influence can be heard all over the albums he did with us and of course our live shows. When Simon joined us in '92 to help us with the KOD tour, he gave the band a fresh new energy. Even in the midst of losing a bandmate, Simon made us want to continue on as a band. 21 years later and the time has ripped by! Simon is truly one of the greatest drummers God has put on this planet PERIOD, as well as an engaging and extremely humorous bandmate. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end as they say. Recently, Simon made the decision to leave the band and focus on solo projects. Myself and all of TOTO fully support him in his decision. We love Si and want him to do whatever makes him happy. Everyone in the band is free to do as they wish. We have always stayed busy with other projects outside of TOTO. There are no hard feelings here. Maybe you'll see Si out on the road with us in a few years. Who knows what the future holds..."
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby edcollante » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:33 am

Keith Carlock is an ace musician, give you that, but I'm not jumping at the idea of him replacing Simon Phillips. He's sort of a jazz drummer and I don't know how good he is at rocking out. Put it this way: I don't think he's fit to playing numbers such as "drag him to the roof", "caught in the balance", "white sister", "falling in between", "till the end", etc. I hope I'm sorely mistaken anyway.
edcollante
Radio Waves

Postby TotoStu » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:07 am

You know, I think there is a possibility I may have seen this new guy live! I saw Steely Dan at the Apollo in London around 2000. Would he have been with them then? Loadsa people on one of the Toto FB pages were talking smack about him... but he can't be all bad if Steely Dan used him!
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby Marzdog » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:16 am

edcollante wrote:Keith Carlock is an ace musician, give you that, but I'm not jumping at the idea of him replacing Simon Phillips. He's sort of a jazz drummer and I don't know how good he is at rocking out. Put it this way: I don't think he's fit to playing numbers such as "drag him to the roof", "caught in the balance", "white sister", "falling in between", "till the end", etc. I hope I'm sorely mistaken anyway.

And Journey said this back in the day with Steve Smith; look what happened... :D
Marzdog
45 RPM

Postby edcollante » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:01 pm

Marzdog wrote:
edcollante wrote:Keith Carlock is an ace musician, give you that, but I'm not jumping at the idea of him replacing Simon Phillips. He's sort of a jazz drummer and I don't know how good he is at rocking out. Put it this way: I don't think he's fit to playing numbers such as "drag him to the roof", "caught in the balance", "white sister", "falling in between", "till the end", etc. I hope I'm sorely mistaken anyway.

And Journey said this back in the day with Steve Smith; look what happened... :D

I honestly hope I'm wrong. I've been watching Keith Carlock's videos on youtube for the last couple of weeks. The bloke's really an amazing drummer, but I still have my doubts. :-)
edcollante
Radio Waves

Postby JohnH » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:22 am

ChickenStu wrote:You know, I think there is a possibility I may have seen this new guy live! I saw Steely Dan at the Apollo in London around 2000. Would he have been with them then? Loadsa people on one of the Toto FB pages were talking smack about him... but he can't be all bad if Steely Dan used him!

I'm sure you did not see Keith then as he joined the band after. I was just reading studio and touring ace Ricky Lawson's memorial in Drumhead magazine , he was the drummer in 2000, and the band actually delayed the tour just so they could get him. The dates are here as well:

http://www.steelydan.com/2kband.html

Keith joined in 03.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:53 am

What I've seen of Keith is very impressive. Great feel.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby WalrusOct9 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:30 pm

Sad news...Simon is the only Toto drummer I've ever known since I didn't really 'discover' the band until around 2002.

haven't checked out the new guy...I have the utmost respect for anyone who played with Steely Dan, but I'm not much of a fan so I haven't seen videos of him yet. I hope he can rock out a bit more than he got to with SD...time will tell. I wouldn't worry too much, Luke is still driving this band, and I know he wants to play the rock stuff live, so I'm not too worried about a live set consisting mostly of "Georgy Porgy"-like tunes.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Return to Toto