Toto should re-record some old songs with Joe, like Journey

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Toto should re-record some old songs with Joe, like Journey

Postby TotoFan77 » Sat May 03, 2014 12:00 am

How cool would that be? Kinda like Journey did in 2008 with Arnel, how awesome would it be if they re-recorded a few of their old songs with Joseph that he wasn't a part of and put them out as bonus tracks as part of the new record coming out. These are the 3 songs I would love to see recorded with Joseph.

1. Hold The Line
2. White Sister
3. It's a Feeling

How cool would it be getting recorded versions of these with Joe singing them? :)
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Re: Toto should re-record some old songs with Joe, like Jour

Postby lordreo » Sat May 03, 2014 12:03 am

I'd love to get a version of "Mad About You" with Joe on vocals. I doubt this is likely though. :D
lordreo
Ol' 78

Postby TotoFan77 » Sat May 03, 2014 12:05 am

That's actually the one song that I'm surprised they haven't performed yet with Joe since it was co-written by him. If there is a demo somewhere, hopefully it get released one day.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby lordreo » Sat May 03, 2014 12:12 am

True, it is the perfect "Bobby-era" song for Joe to perform. I asked Luke on Facebook if it might be possible that we'll hear Joe singing "Mad About You" (I didn't specify if live or recorded), and he answered:

"yeah that could happen"

We'll see. And how awesome is it that he answered! :D
lordreo
Ol' 78

Postby TotoFan77 » Sat May 03, 2014 12:14 am

Well, thank you for bringing it up to Luke!
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby edcollante » Sat May 03, 2014 2:08 am

I'd love them to record "hey little girl".
edcollante
Radio Waves

Postby Sundet » Sat May 03, 2014 9:54 pm

I'm not too sure I would want them to go back and re-record older tunes. I'm not overly enthusiastic about Journey's or Chicago's re-recordings. Though, on the other hand, if SOMEONE can pull such a project off, it's Toto. That being said, the main - if not only - reason why Chicago and Journey went and re-recorded those old songs was commercial interest, in hopes that these new recordings would replace the originals on radio. Suffice to say that didn't happen. I doubt Toto would ever let such blatant commercial interest guide them, no matter how much they resent Sony.

As for Mad about You, I think Lukather went on record a few years back saying that it wasn't excactly his favorite tune. He said the same about Stop Loving You, however, and he has indeed changed his mind every now and then. It would certainly be great to hear Joe Williams have a go at Mad about You. It would also be interesting to hear what he could do with Gypsy Train or Slipped Away, if Lukather were to hand him another song that he originally sang on (such as On the Run).
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby DracIsBack » Sun May 04, 2014 1:37 am

Sundet wrote:I'm not too sure I would want them to go back and re-record older tunes. I'm not overly enthusiastic about Journey's or Chicago's re-recordings.

Me either. The Chicago ones really pissed me right off actually. It was a deliberate excuse for the originals to make royalty money. They cut out any former members that happened to have a hand in hits (Cetera, Serepahine) and they also made absolutely sure that newer members like Jason Scheff also failed to benefit.

Plus I thought the recordings weren't really all that good.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby WalrusOct9 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:29 pm

I'd much rather they go back to the vault and release archival live stuff. There's nothing to benefit from new studio versions of these songs...however, I would love to hear properly cleaned-up stuff from the 80's tours (and hell, some of the 90's gigs too that had song that weren't covered on previous live albums).

I've heard both the Chicago and Journey re-records, and I have no idea why I'd ever want to listen to them over the originals. Factor in that Toto was THE ultimate studio band, and you're really just urging on a fruitless exercise.

Revisiting some unreleased tunes ("Runaway," anyone?) and digging up some great old Jeff-era live stuff would be most welcome, however. Not sure if Sony controls this, or just if the band has no interest in it, but I'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened yet in some form.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby yulog » Mon May 05, 2014 1:51 pm

edcollante wrote:I'd love them to record "hey little girl".

Would love this as well but wasn't it one of Bobby's songs........I think the closest your going to get is the Phil Vincent version
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 06, 2014 10:59 pm

For the new TOTO album, some bonus live cuts (from the unreleased concert dvd/cd filmed in Italy in 2012), would be kickass. I am def. not a fan of them re-recording classic tunes. Those tracks are frozen in time and belong to a special time/era and band lineup and should just be left alone. Remember, Journey only re-recorded hits, in part, so that Walmart would agree to release a cd of new material. I think TOTO has waay more class/integrity than to try to re-create lighting in a bottle and record "Girl Goodbye Studio remix 2014" or whatever. Bring on the new tunes and the new classics!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby TotoStu » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:13 am

I guess in a way you could say they already did with Williams singing some of the old Kimball tunes on the last two live albums.
And also - I think hearing Kimball sing "Pamela" on the FIB Live album is also pretty interesting.

I think that's the closest we'll ever get to be honest. If Toto have got studio time booked, I can't see them using it to redo tunes they've already done. I mean - what purpose would it really serve?
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Return to Toto