Toto XIV

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Toto XIV

Postby Diffworlds » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:27 am

I thought I would collect the information that has been reported on the new album and the forum members could update as more is discovered. I listed only the band members reported to be recording the album. I have not seen anything confirming Carlock, Hungate, etc. are more than touring members at this point. Please feel free to add or correct.

Mike

Title: Toto XIV

Release date: 20 March 2015

Members:
Steve Lukather - Guitar, vocals
David Paich - Keyboards, vocals
Joe Williams - Vocals
Steve Porcaro - Keyboards, vocals

Tracks:
Runnin' Out of Time
The Little Things (Steve P. - lead vocals)
Great Expectations
Last edited by Diffworlds on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diffworlds
Ol' 78

Re: Toto XIV

Postby JohnH » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:55 pm

Yea and Toto recently released a group photo with only the core members you list, no Hungate or Castro in the photo.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:39 am

Another track is called, Great Expectations. And I believe diff bassists play on the cd, including Sklar.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Diffworlds » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:02 pm

Thanks for song title. I have added it at top. Did you mention in another post Steve Lukather plays bass on some tracks on the new album?

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Another track is called, Great Expectations. And I believe diff bassists play on the cd, including Sklar.
Diffworlds
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:57 am

Diffworlds wrote:Thanks for song title. I have added it at top. Did you mention in another post Steve Lukather plays bass on some tracks on the new album?

I wouldn't doubt it. I have not read that tho.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:51 am

Blarghhh. It's 2015, why do records still take so damn long to be released, even though it's supposedly finished? :evil:
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby St.George » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:44 am

ARTWORK:

TRACKLISTING:

Disc: 1
1. Running Out of Time
2. Burn
3. Holy War
4. 21st Century Blues
5. Orphan

Disc: 2
1. Unknown Soldier (for Jeffrey)
2. The Little Things
3. Chinatown
4. All The Tears That Shine
5. Fortune
6. Great Expectations
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby Diffworlds » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:25 am

Sounds interesting! Would love to see a great instrumental in this mix. Thanks for posting!
Diffworlds
Ol' 78

Postby LtVanish » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:13 pm

Looks like it will be available on vinyl, cd and a deluxe cd/dvd with a documentary on the making of the album.

http://www.amazon.com/Toto-XIV/dp/B00RY ... s=toto+xiv

http://www.amazon.com/Toto-XIV/dp/B00RU ... s=toto+xiv

http://www.amazon.com/Toto-XIV/dp/B00RU ... 1420686647
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby r@y » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:47 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsBf9hSkOPQ

LOVE LOVE what I am hearing from the snippets !!

Can't wait for March !

Ray
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby JohnH » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:08 pm

Carlock not doing any shows and Shannon announced as road drummer for 2015 today. Tried to get some more info from a source close to the band today no luck. Let's see if Keith's out permanently or not. I thought Keith's road break was temporary because of previous Steely Dan commitments but I guess not.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:08 am

JohnH wrote:Carlock not doing any shows and Shannon announced as road drummer for 2015 today. Tried to get some more info from a source close to the band today no luck. Let's see if Keith's out permanently or not. I thought Keith's road break was temporary because of previous Steely Dan commitments but I guess not.

Thanks for the update. Maybe Steely had to cancel and re-schedule some tour commitments? I don't know. It seems odd. At this point, just give Shannon the gig. He's earned it.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby JohnH » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:29 pm

It's fact now. . Gig is Shannon's. I agree, he deserves it and was brilliant.
Lukather confirmed on Twitter for " this year . "
JohnH
8 Track

Postby r@y » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:45 pm

They've got a Japanese bonus track called Bend

Ray
r@y
LP

Postby Franky » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:34 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsBf9hSkOPQ#t=214

Samples sound great (Better than I expected).
Love the Cover (Fresh & Mysterious)

Long lives ToTo & All best to Mike!
Greetings from Germany!
Franky
Ol' 78

Postby St.George » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:09 am

Check the new tune "Running out of time" here:

http://www.bigcactus.fr/podcast-mp3.html

Scroll down until the bottom of the page and you'll find a player with a recorded podcast. You can listen to the new TOTO tune at minute 20:50.

BTW, the song is unbelievably ASTOUNDING! It definitely has that classic vibe and big sound. Besides, I'm so glad they brought Joseph back... :')
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby Joe Vana » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:48 pm

Record is 10/10 Gents....pure Magic....have not been this moved by a record since being introduced to Toy Matinee 11 years ago...

Shannon is the guy now....and I could not be happier, prouder or excited...I am off to Nashville Monday for he and I and Hungate to keep pounding to finish Mecca III before they leave into the magical wonderland of the Toto Tour...what a F$)(:;!G band!!!! This tour is going to SMOKE!!!!

As far as Toto V...that's what I am calling it...I will just say this....Luke has NEVER sang this well in his life...I don't care what era, what recording...what song...this album shows all the hard work of a man who fucking stood up and pounded his demos into submission and came out on the other side...I can't say that...I have tried...failed...but HE did it...and his voice sounds fantastic!!!! His playing? Well, he is Luke!!

Paich is more represented and has his footprint or pawprint on this album More than any record I can think of...vocally he's great and I can hear all the arranging and feel his vibe oozing on this...

Joseph is BACK!!!! He sounds as good as he did on Farenheit...and his co-writes are bad ass...

Steve P is well reptesented as well....and amazing of course....Bend is awesome!!!

Hungate is killer, but so are the other Bass players...Ty, Sklar and Luke...Hungates track have that classic Hungate slide stuff that he does....shivers...

Carlock did really well adding the groove to this album....I have heard ALOT of Carlocks discography...this is different...he played to the songs....really cool...

This album TO ME is a BAND album...I can hear so much from EACH guy...it's not a solo album...it's nobodies show...it's TOTO....I am sure there was arguments...heated discussions...passionate pleas....and what came of it is the best Toto album since the Seventh One...and...what could be to some, the best album of their career....

And BTW....the song Great Expectations is MY favorite Toto tune EVER!!! Period!!!! Every guy gets up and Brings it!!!! HARD!!!!

Buy it at ANY cost....and go see them!!!
JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby JohnH » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:07 pm

Thanks Joe. And here's hoping they headline - Michael McDonald should have opened for them .
JohnH
8 Track

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:22 am

Joe Vana wrote:
Buy it at ANY cost....and go see them!!!
JV

Tell their promoter to book them in Nashville so I can actually go see them. :D
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby DK23 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:33 pm

Thanks a lot St. George! However, it may take a couple of listens because it didn't have that strong chorus I was looking for, nor did it have much of a david/steve presence... thoughts? My crappy computer speakers are probably not doing it justice
DK23
Ol' 78

Postby Joe Vana » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:01 pm

DB try headphones!!! Will be better than computer speakers!!!!

I am sure you will dig!!!

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:44 pm

Franky wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsBf9hSkOPQ#t=214

Samples sound great (Better than I expected).
Love the Cover (Fresh & Mysterious)

Long lives ToTo & All best to Mike!
Greetings from Germany!

Paich sounds like Seth Rogen when he's talking in this video. Funny stuff.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby tater1977 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:01 am

Toto - Holy War (Official Audio)

http://youtu.be/-fufU6fyZAo
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Franky » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:50 pm

tater1977 wrote:Toto - Holy War (Official Audio)

Well, that tune isn't as strong as "Orphan" but its technically "ok".
Not a "must have" for me :cry:
Franky
Ol' 78

Postby tater1977 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:38 pm

Listen to Toto’s New Song ‘Holy War’ From ‘Toto XIV’

by Jeff Giles February 17, 2015

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/toto-holy-war/

With just a little more than a month to go before Toto return with their first album of original material in nearly a decade, the band is offering fans another sneak peek at the new LP.

“Holy War,” the second pre-release track from Toto XIV, is now available as an instant download for customers who pre-order the album from iTunes or Amazon. Featuring vocals from singer Joseph Williams and guitarist Steve Lukather, “War” is reflective of the band’s uncompromising approach to penning topical lyrics and complex arrangements for the new LP.

“My mind was focused on this thing that we are fed information to keep us afraid all the time and the lyric addresses that,” muses Williams in an essay accompanying Toto XIV. “It was a way of being sarcastic saying ‘Okay, you’ve got me. I’m terrified.’ That accounts for the first few lines in the song, but as it moves on I was trying to find something that fitted Steve’s melody in the chorus, and ‘Holy War’ literally just came flying out of my mouth. It was the very first idea I had.”

“It’s a comment on the way some of us are using God as an excuse to kill people,” adds Lukather. “They’re missing the whole f—ing point. The first commandment is ‘Thou Shall Not Kill.’ There’s no asterisk by the side saying ‘Except in certain circumstances,’ Y’know, all this ‘My god is better than your god.’ We have moved backwards.”

Available on March 24, Toto XIV is being released in a variety of configurations, including single-disc CD and deluxe edition CD/DVD featuring a making-of documentary and expanded booklet with essays, interviews and photos. It’s also being pressed as a two-LP vinyl set, and for the hardcore fan, there’s a deluxe limited edition which includes the CD/DVD and vinyl packages, an exclusive poster, T-shirt and lithograph. Check out “Holy War” above.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:41 pm

Franky wrote:
tater1977 wrote:Toto - Holy War (Official Audio)

Well, that tune isn't as strong as "Orphan" but its technically "ok".
Not a "must have" for me :cry:

Lovin Orphan... but feet draggin on Holy Wars.
Will have to listen a few more times.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Anymajordude » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:50 am

Running out of time is by far my favourite so far. Btw, did anybody else notice the sudden volume changes in Orphan and Holy war? In HW it's right after the break at 4:12. I played the track very loud on my standalone system, Kef R900 speakers, and that volume raise (or whatever it is) almost toasted my eardrums. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Anymajordude
Radio Waves

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:00 am

Between the two, I dig 'Holy War' more. Both are strong. 'Holy War' has a commercial chorus, but more of the funky, playful TOTO flourishes I've come to expect. "Orphan" borders on being slightly heavy-handed lyrically, and reminds me of the "We Are the World" vibe of the Byron era. Carlock is a standout on both. No knock on Simon, who was technically proficient, but Carlock is a groovemonster! Whenever I listen to older TOTO, I enjoy listening to Jeff as much as Luke's solos or the lead vocals. Can't say that about many bands. With Keith behind the kit, I once again find myself appreciating every cymbal crash, high hat, fill etc. etc.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby r@y » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:04 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:but Carlock is a groovemonster! Whenever I listen to older TOTO, I enjoy listening to Jeff as much as Luke's solos or the lead vocals. Can't say that about many bands. With Keith behind the kit, I once again find myself appreciating every cymbal crash, high hat, fill etc. etc.

VERY Very good point TNC....I thought it was just me....

Yes, I am enjoying the groove on the 3 tracks I've heard so far....and after reading Andrew's review, man...I just CANNOT wait for another month :D

And I can't recall the last time being THIS excited in anticipation for a Toto album....

Ray
r@y
LP

Postby DracIsBack » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:15 am

JohnH wrote:Thanks Joe. And here's hoping they headline - Michael McDonald should have opened for them .

Yeah - they really did kick his ass last year, didn't they? My GF (who is not familiar with either) commented that he looked like he just came from his kitchen, completely out of practice.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Next

Return to Toto