Our reviews of "Toto XIV"

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Our reviews of "Toto XIV"

Postby ChickenStu » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:53 am

I hope Toto XIV reaches a bigger audience than the AOR/Melodic Rock niche' crowd... it really deserves a lot more than that. I'm not going to give into hyperbole and call it Toto's best ever album or anything... but it really is something extremely special.
As for comparing it to old albums by the guys - I never found myself doing that on listening to it. It didn't sound like a follow up to Toto IV, nor did it really resemble Farenheit or The Seventh One. It's very much it's own beast and has it's own engine. It's really well put together and is just a dream to listen to.
It funny, this is a band that's been making music for five decades - they do their first album for nine years - and still produce something that sounds way ahead of it's time. I'm very very happy Toto fan today.
Really love this new album and everything about it.
ChickenStu
Ol' 78

Re: Our reviews of "Toto XIV"

Postby r@y » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:10 pm

I cannot believe I am saying this but....this is most definitely one of Toto's FINEST work in the last 2 decades !

Its so simple. There is NO track in XIV that I'd skip. EVERY Toto album there will be something....for me, You Are The Flower, Mr Friendly, Fahrenheit, You Got Me, The Other Side, Time is the Enemy, Mindfields, Let it Go are some of the tracks I just skip off their records. But NONE on XIV.....well, I am not a huge fan of Bend but since that's a bonus track, I'll discount that :P

I like how their songwriting has evolved, although there are some parts that kinda sometimes sticks out ( Fortune favors unprepared.....huh, what ? :P )

But the musicianship is just masterclass. Steve P's little touches all over the songs, the nuances and the bells and whistles, just shine in each and every track. Whether it's loud in Holy War, or soft in All The Tears, his touch back on a Toto record is much welcomed.

I just can't believe they're considering this their final album....:(

Ray
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby ChickenStu » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:41 am

r@y wrote:I just can't believe they're considering this their final album....:(

That's not necessarily the case my man! :D

I read an interview with Luke where he was asked if this was the last album and he said "ask me again in a couple of years" or something to that effect. Joseph Williams has also said he's game for another somewhere down the line. Not holding my breath or anything but there may be a day when we're here talking about Toto XV!
ChickenStu
Ol' 78

Postby Onestepper » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:11 am

Just finished listening to the whole album for the second time. Can't express how much I enjoyed it accurately. Not from the "best album ever" perspective. Just really respect that these guys put out a solid piece of work that stuck to what they do best, while evolving as a band, and didn't just retread old stuff. You can literally hear them grow as artists with this release.

Can't wait for them to come back to the States on tour.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby ChickenStu » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:00 am

I wish I could properly articulate my feelings for this album. I think one thing that can be said for it is that it is Toto in it's absolutely purest form.
It's like they locked themselves in a room totally free of ANY outside influences and just did what THEY KNOW how to do.
It's just absolutely pure, 100% Toto.

It's like drinking a really good vodka. A good quality vodka has significant kick but still finishes nicely leaving a very faint and pleasant after-taste. It all depends upon the circumstances under which it was made. So many vodkas leave us unsatisfied. We enjoy the kick for a moment but don't enjoy the gas it gives us afterward. If you can find a good one though, you are about to have a very pleasant drinking experience.

XIV is an album that one could write a book about. Seriously. It's not the best album they've ever done but weirdly at the same time it's kind of their finest achievement. On it's own it's a triumph. It's ALL kick. And NO gas.

Hope that made sense. :?
ChickenStu
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:08 am

r@y wrote:Steve P's little touches all over the songs, the nuances and the bells and whistles, just shine in each and every track. Whether it's loud in Holy War, or soft in All The Tears, his touch back on a Toto record is much welcomed.

My understanding was that Steve P never left the recording process. His finger prints are all over FIB (read the liner notes), he simply stopped touring.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Return to Toto