Unreleased Toto/Luke song has leaked onto youtube

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Unreleased Toto/Luke song has leaked onto youtube

Postby TotoFan77 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:17 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XhWRpvVlaY

Interesting track, sounds very old. I'm guessing this was either for Toto or Hydra. May have been for one of Luke's solo records too. No idea how the uploader got this. Andrew, do you know where this is from?
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Re: Unreleased Toto/Luke song has leaked onto youtube

Postby Sundet » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:15 pm

This recording does not sound Toto/Hydra era. This demo must have been recorded at some point in the mid-80s. There are a number of similar-sounding demo recordings floating around, i.e. Twisted (no relation to Twist the Knife) and If You Break My Heart. Might have been demoed for a possible solo album, or for Toto or other artists (there are also demos for With a Second Chance and Anna out there, sounding quite similar to these). This particular song sounds like something that could have been co-written with Randy Goodrum, and I think Lukather started writing with him cirka 1985 (Goodrum moved in next door to Lukather's mother I think). One of their collaborations outside of Toto/Luke solo was "If I Could Hold on to Love" for Kenny Rogers' They Don't Make Them Like They Used To (1986? 87?). Lukather did background vocals on that as well. Not sure if Looking for Somebody Like You is a Lukather/Goodrum tune though, but could well be.

Edit: Had to dig up "If You Break My Heart", which is kind of catchy but shamelessly 80's. Somehow I doubt Lukather would have considered something like this for a solo album, so chances are it was a demo for other artists.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby Anymajordude » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:29 pm

I haven't heard of any demos from 1983-84 but this reminds a bit of How does it feel on the Isolation album.
Anymajordude
Radio Waves

Postby St.George » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:11 pm

This is a song from 1987 penned by Steve Lukather and Randy Goodrum. The song was officially released by Ronnie Milsap. I don't know if it was penned intentionally for this artist or it was a "Fahrenheit" leftover.

You can listen to Ronnie's version here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xKCoDPxs8Jg
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby Sundet » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:39 pm

Well, there you go! I had a sense that this song had been written and demoed with other artists in mind (or was rejected by Toto). Seems as though Lukather and Goodrum penned a handful of ballads arounfd 1985-86 that ended up on various records.

I guess the other mid 80's Lukather demos (Twisted and If You Break My Heart) were also written with Goodrum.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Return to Toto