Toto XIV in Billboard album charts. It ain't pretty.

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Toto XIV in Billboard album charts. It ain't pretty.

Postby MarcelJordan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Entered at 95. Ouch! (expected,)but it would have been nice atleast at 35. Oh well.

MJ
2011 New Album by Survivor - RE-ENTRY!
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Re: Toto XIV in Billboard album charts. It ain't pretty.

Postby DracIsBack » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:31 am

I'm actually happy it got that high. This is the USA, a notoriously bad market for them.

To put it in perspective, the last charting album was Past to Present, which stalled out at 153 - more than 60 notches lower. Kingdom of Desire, Tambu, Mindfields, Through The Looking Glass and Falling In Between all failed to even make the charts.

For them to even be in the upper half of the Billboard 200 album charts after last being there 25 years ago, I'm happy.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:13 am

Chart positions really haven't mattered in many, many years.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby MarcelJordan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:12 pm

DracIsBack wrote:I'm actually happy it got that high. This is the USA, a notoriously bad market for them.

To put it in perspective, the last charting album was Past to Present, which stalled out at 153 - more than 60 notches lower. Kingdom of Desire, Tambu, Mindfields, Through The Looking Glass and Falling In Between all failed to even make the charts.

For them to even be in the upper half of the Billboard 200 album charts after last being there 25 years ago, I'm happy.

Good points. Let's see if it miraculously improves further. :P

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby MarcelJordan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:17 pm

WalrusOct9 wrote:Chart positions really haven't mattered in many, many years.

When Journey came back in '96, entering at 3 that was a dandy. Sales eventually made 2 million. Do you think it didn't help? Just asking.

Anyway Toto have done supremely well on the road elsewhere (Europe) but I think after this entry it goes higher, would please the band in some way.

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby Sundet » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:03 pm

I think charts mattered much more 20 years back, when Journey released Trial by Fire, than they do now. Also, record sales have plummeted since then. Sure, the charts may generate certain exposure, but probably not the kind of exposure that would matter much to Toto's main audience. real or potential. That being said, it is nice to note that the album did chart and all that, but whether at #10 or #95 matters relatively little.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby MarcelJordan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:43 am

Sundet wrote:I think charts mattered much more 20 years back, when Journey released Trial by Fire, than they do now. Also, record sales have plummeted since then. Sure, the charts may generate certain exposure, but probably not the kind of exposure that would matter much to Toto's main audience. real or potential. That being said, it is nice to note that the album did chart and all that, but whether at #10 or #95 matters relatively little.

From the front page of MR, some comments by the band:

“We’re pleasantly stunned at the response,” exclaimed David Paich. “We couldn’t be more pleased with this initial success! And we’re always blown away when a new TOTO album bursts onto the Charts. We owe it all to our friends and Fans!"

“I am happily shocked, thankful and surprised,” echoed Steve Lukather. “ I can’t begin to thank you all for the support of buying real music and the love and kindness you have all showed this band for 38 years. So much thanks to our team and Frontiers records and all the people that work with us and most of all to the fans and our friends. It means so much to us. This one is for Mike and Jeff and all the Porcaro's!”

They're pretty joyous here. Hitting the charts is a big deal it seems.

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby r@y » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:48 pm

MarcelJordan wrote:
Sundet wrote:I think charts mattered much more 20 years back, when Journey released Trial by Fire, than they do now. Also, record sales have plummeted since then. Sure, the charts may generate certain exposure, but probably not the kind of exposure that would matter much to Toto's main audience. real or potential. That being said, it is nice to note that the album did chart and all that, but whether at #10 or #95 matters relatively little.

“We’re pleasantly stunned at the response,” exclaimed David Paich. “We couldn’t be more pleased with this initial success! And we’re always blown away when a new TOTO album bursts onto the Charts. We owe it all to our friends and Fans!"

“I am happily shocked, thankful and surprised,” echoed Steve Lukather. “ I can’t begin to thank you all for the support of buying real music and the love and kindness you have all showed this band for 38 years. So much thanks to our team and Frontiers records and all the people that work with us and most of all to the fans and our friends. It means so much to us. This one is for Mike and Jeff and all the Porcaro's!”

MJ

MJ, check your PM

Ray
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby MarcelJordan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:55 pm

r@y wrote:
MarcelJordan wrote:

MJ

MJ, check your PM

Ray

See your PM. :D

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Re: Toto XIV in Billboard album charts. Now ugly.

Postby MarcelJordan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:27 am

And that was the end of Toto's entry. This week No longer in the top 200. Down with Billboard! :roll: :P

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Return to Toto