Intricate and deft touches you find in Toto XIV.

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Intricate and deft touches you find in Toto XIV.

Postby MarcelJordan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:50 am

Great Expectations: Bell tower sound at 1.40 and repeated at 2.47

Chinatown : 1.56 Kieth brushes the cymbals uniquely as Dave says " a woman pours the absinthe..."

Just to start it off.

Love to hear from others anything else so everyone can bask in the greatness that is Toto XIV. 8)

MJ
2011 New Album by Survivor - RE-ENTRY!
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Re: Intricate and deft touches you find in Toto XIV.

Postby MarcelJordan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:52 am

Don't all reply at once! :roll: :wink:

Fortune: 1.34 : Female electronic voice says "oww!" when Joseph says "cuts you like a rusty knife" (and that too) shows Joseph's smooth vocal inflection when he says "knife". at 1.33. So two in one, so to speak.

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby MarcelJordan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:12 pm

Maybe XIV isn't much of a big deal.

I'll continue..talking to the wall. :oops:

Great Expectations: 6.12 : Steve P. and his wizardry- From right to left there is a cascading sound (similar to the chime in a percussion set up) while the last verse is said. Love that touch.

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby yulog » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:49 pm

Meow!
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby MarcelJordan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:48 am

Running out of Time: BG vocals are tight yet smooth. It's Joe, Luke and Jamie Savko (if you want to know this guys voice see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJkL_H9mY0E ) So at 1.22-25 You can actually pick up each of the guys' voices as the words "you'll be on your way" are sung. Luke is clearly the guy who stresses "be" for instance. Topping it off, the interplay of Keith's drumming in this particular section, is awesome here too. Should be a dandy when they do it live... in the coming months.

BTW, Love the line "....dream of only riches beyond avarice at night" (a touch of Steely Dan lyrical style imo)

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby DracIsBack » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:10 pm

MarcelJordan wrote:Maybe XIV isn't much of a big deal.

Begone! :-)
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby MarcelJordan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:14 pm

Intentionally or not, All the Tears has the same tempo and beat structure of Human Nature.

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby r@y » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:43 pm

MarcelJordan wrote:Intentionally or not, All the Tears has the same tempo and beat structure of Human Nature.

MJ

The chorus part of All The Tears reminds me of verse sections of Borrowed Time (the acoustic guitars).....

Ray
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:50 am

MarcelJordan wrote:Don't all reply at once! :roll: :wink:

I think the lack of participation in this thread is partially due to how Steve Porcaro's wizardry defies words. I really don't know HOW to describe the synth splashes and bells and wizards he usually adds.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby MarcelJordan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:19 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

I think the lack of participation in this thread is partially due to how Steve Porcaro's wizardry defies words. I really don't know HOW to describe the synth splashes and bells and wizards he usually adds.

Thanks for making sense. You are absolutely spot on about the difficulties in describing about Steve Porcaro's prowess. That said, the rest of the guys have all gone up a notch. I have a lot more to say about this album. Each time I listen I catch something new.

Not to forget Keith Carlock's drumming also creates the vibe on this album. He's got serious chops. I just dig all the little beat changes he does, high hatting, moving around the drum kit I can say boatloads about it (but I might fail miserably on stating the exact jargon that should describe it properly :oops: ).

NC, try to pick out something particular you dig. Love to know what else your ears catch. Thank you and Ray for trying.

MJ
Last edited by MarcelJordan on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby MarcelJordan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:22 pm

r@y wrote:
MarcelJordan wrote:Intentionally or not, All the Tears has the same tempo and beat structure of Human Nature.

MJ

The chorus part of All The Tears reminds me of verse sections of Borrowed Time (the acoustic guitars).....

Ray

Im not familiar with stuff beyond Toto as a whole. Thanks for getting my attention to BT. You're right. :mrgreen:

BTW, did you see my PM?

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby r@y » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:32 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

My sentiments exactly, TNC !

SP's touches in XIV is truly amazing, I must say. the whole record has this 'rich' sound and sound textures, you hear something new at every listen.

Furthermore, with CJ also being in most tracks, I really can't tell where SP starts and CJ ends, or vice versa...Haha

Ray
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby MarcelJordan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:10 am

Great Expectations is said to be a tribute to Yes, Pink Floyd, ELP, Genesis and so on. Who agrees and where/which parts respectively?

MJ
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:20 am

Months later, I still give XIV regular rotation. More replay value than FIB, which has great songs, but XIV is a better overall effort imo.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:23 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Months later, I still give XIV regular rotation. More replay value than FIB, which has great songs, but XIV is a better overall effort imo.

I wish I could say the same. But it has nothing to do with the quality of the music, my ears just bleed when I listen to it. I picked up a used copy of the vinyl, but haven't had a chance to make a digital rip of it yet. It's still not very good-sounding, but hurts the ears a little less. Still can't comprehend why this was mastered so loudly, to the point of clipping/distortion.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:07 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Months later, I still give XIV regular rotation. More replay value than FIB, which has great songs, but XIV is a better overall effort imo.

I wish I could say the same. But it has nothing to do with the quality of the music, my ears just bleed when I listen to it. I picked up a used copy of the vinyl, but haven't had a chance to make a digital rip of it yet. It's still not very good-sounding, but hurts the ears a little less. Still can't comprehend why this was mastered so loudly, to the point of clipping/distortion.

I agree, plus it makes the whole record sound muddy as hell. I hope it gets remastered someday.
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:00 am

LtVanish wrote:
I agree, plus it makes the whole record sound muddy as hell. I hope it gets remastered someday.

There's so much texture and Steve Porcaro-ing going on, and it's all just lost in there. I would pay good money for a flat transfer of the studio master, without any mastering or compression applied.

It's too bad bands can't/won't offer two versions, digitally through HDTracks or something, since it costs virtually nothing to produce and distribute. A "consumer" version brickwalled/compressed to death like most albums, and an "audiophile" version for people who care about such things. I know McCartney has done that with his reissue series, and the 'full dynamic range' versions sound very, very good.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:38 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:
LtVanish wrote:

There's so much texture and Steve Porcaro-ing going on, and it's all just lost in there. I would pay good money for a flat transfer of the studio master, without any mastering or compression applied.

It's too bad bands can't/won't offer two versions, digitally through HDTracks or something, since it costs virtually nothing to produce and distribute. A "consumer" version brickwalled/compressed to death like most albums, and an "audiophile" version for people who care about such things. I know McCartney has done that with his reissue series, and the 'full dynamic range' versions sound very, very good.

I'm an amateur guitar player whose dabbled with recording (not to mention chased a lot of guitar tones as a guitar player), so I'm more attuned to this stuff than the average listener. That said, man, I'm glad I'm not as perceptive as you are about all of this. A true piece of audio shit like Vapor Trails (Rush) or Generations (Journey) bothers me, but XIV sounds just fine to me. Glad I don't notice this stuff like you do - would hate to lose my enjoyment of this stellar (IMO) album.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:02 am

I'd rank this almost as bad as Vapor Trails, honestly. The only difference is that Vapor Trails was even more ear-bleeding just because the actual music was heavier. Believe me, I wish I wasn't particularly attuned to this, but it's hard not to be. All the instruments just seem jumbled and squished together, with almost no clarity, which is really unfortunate for something so musician-y (technical term :lol: ) like Toto.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:57 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:I'd rank this almost as bad as Vapor Trails, honestly. The only difference is that Vapor Trails was even more ear-bleeding just because the actual music was heavier. Believe me, I wish I wasn't particularly attuned to this, but it's hard not to be. All the instruments just seem jumbled and squished together, with almost no clarity, which is really unfortunate for something so musician-y (technical term :lol: ) like Toto.

To each his own, man. I'm neurotic about enough things in life (including certain aspects of my music fandom), so I won't try and become attuned to these issues!
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:13 pm

I don't hear it myself. I am no audiophile. Burn sounds a little murky, but I think that's intentional. Songs like Chinatown and Great Expectations sound as sharp as a bell.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Ehwmatt » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:13 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I don't hear it myself. I am no audiophile. Burn sounds a little murky, but I think that's intentional. Songs like Chinatown and Great Expectations sound as sharp as a bell.

I listened to a few XIV tunes last night and I think I hear the loud mastering to a certain extent now that he's highlighted it. Doesn't bother me, though. Compare XIV to Generations - noticeable difference. Generations truly sounds horrible.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby DracIsBack » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:45 am

It's a little muddy,but I find the sound complaints a bit over-melodramatic :-)
DracIsBack
8 Track

Return to Toto