Lukather Co-Writes

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Lukather Co-Writes

Postby Sundet » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:47 pm

I'm trying to compile a list of songs Lukather has written/co-written outside of Toto and his solo/band projects (i.e. Lobotomys, Greg Mathieson Project, etc.). Above all, I am impressed by the sheer extent of his output, even more so given the fact that his session work back in the day probably warranted even more co-writes. Anyway, this is pretty much what I have been able to gather thus far. Anyone know of any other songs that should be in here?

Nurse Rozetta + Serious - Alice Cooper / From the Inside (1978)
You Got Some Imagination - Boz Scaggs / Middle Man (1980)
Runaway - Bill Champlin / Runaway (1981)
Turn Your Love Around - George Benson / Greatest Hits (1981)
Talk to Ya Later - The Tubes / The Completion Backward Principle (1981)
Give Me Some Time + You Can't Have Me - Char / USJ (1981)
Waiting for You to Decide - Chicago / 16 (1982)
I've Been Crying - I-Ten / Taking a Cold Look (1983)
Take a Chance - Olivia Newton-John & John Travolta / Two of a Kind (Movie Soundtrack) (1983)
She's a Beauty - The Tubes / Outside Inside (1983)
You're Still Laughing + I Don't Even Know Your Name + Saved My Life + Caribbean Sunsets + Thrill of the Kill + Star of the Show - Fee Waybill / Read My Lips (1984)
Over and Over - Chicago / 18 (1986)
If I Could Hold on to Love - Kenny Rogers / They Don't Make Them Like They Used To (1986)
Somebody Like You - Ronny Milsap / Heart & Soul (1987)
Read Between the Lines - Tim Feehan / Tim Feehan (1987)
My Bulbous Meathead - Michael Landau / Tales from the Bulge (1989)
Marie - Brandon Fields / Other Places (1989)
Playing with Fire - Richard Marx / Rush Street (1991)
Imagine It's Me - Sherwood Ball 'n Chain / White Light (1994)
Big Brother's Still Watching - The Tubes / Genius of America (1996)
I Know You + Surprise Yourself - Fee Waybill / Don't Be Scared by These Hands (1996)
Loveline - The Tubes / Tubes World Tour (2001)
New York Time - Bernard Fowler / Friends with Privileges (2007)
This Fall - Joseph Williams / This Fall (2008)
Show Me the Love - George Benson / Songs and Stories (2009)
In Your Dreams - Lee Ritenour / 6-String Theory (2010)
You Bring the Party Down + Island in the Sun - Ringo Starr / Postcards from Paradise (2015)
Sundet
Ol' 78

Re: Lukather Co-Writes

Postby r@y » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:57 pm

Well, just off the top of my head....

Livin' in the limelight )w/Peter Cetera (Peter Cetera)

68 (Six String Theory - Lee Ritenour)

Others many you've already covered pretty well I think

Ray
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby Sundet » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:11 pm

Thanks - I had somehow overlooked 68. I don't think he co-write Cetera's Livin' in the Limelight, however. If he did, he was not credited for it.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby r@y » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:00 pm

Sundet wrote:Thanks - I had somehow overlooked 68. I don't think he co-write Cetera's Livin' in the Limelight, however. If he did, he was not credited for it.

Oh well.....guess the top off my head is a little rusty...haha. I could have sworn I saw Luke's name as co writer on the credits on the CD back in the day (yes, I actually had it with me back in 1997/98 that I scoured from Japan)

Anyway....

I've asked Luke before on whether there were songs (that are radio hits) which he played on that he wasn't credited with, and he said TOO MANY....that it was part of the gig and it is what it is.

But I digress....

I'll keep thinking of anything Luke may have co written on.....

Cheers

Ray
r@y
LP

Postby Sundet » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:41 pm

I guess it's a more or less known fact that producers like David Foster were eager to snatch co-writer credits even if they had little to do with writing the songs (Rick Hahn and George Thatcher, for example, are still confused as to exactly what parts of 'River of Love' Foster wrote), while session players and singers who came up with parts, bridges, choruses, vocal melodies were rarely credited. I'm not saying that Foster is the worst of the lot as far as producers go, but it must have been slightly frustrating as a session player to see a song turn into a huge hit, knowing that you are the uncredited writer of that particular chorus.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby r@y » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:16 pm

Sundet wrote:I guess it's a more or less known fact that producers like David Foster were eager to snatch co-writer credits even if they had little to do with writing the songs (Rick Hahn and George Thatcher, for example, are still confused as to exactly what parts of 'River of Love' Foster wrote), while session players and singers who came up with parts, bridges, choruses, vocal melodies were rarely credited. I'm not saying that Foster is the worst of the lot as far as producers go, but it must have been slightly frustrating as a session player to see a song turn into a huge hit, knowing that you are the uncredited writer of that particular chorus.

Haha !

Interesting tidbit there about River of Love.....I have the album. Luke plays on a track in it, and I like many of the tracks in there too.

Speaking of Luke....look up Bill Champlin and Derek Sherinian....think Luke may have done something with them in some of their more recent records. Again, this is off the top of my old head again...haha

Ray
r@y
LP

Postby St.George » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:26 am

Great thread Sundet,

I thought I was the only one who worried about these type of things :D

I'll contribute to your list with three songs, for the time being, since I can't remember any more:

"Lady in the dark" - Valerie Carter (1978)
"Living in America" - Donna Summer (1982)
"All by myself" - Sheena Easton (1984)
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby Sundet » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:43 am

Brilliant, St. George! Thanks for adding to this somewhat nerdy list. Of course, a few of all these songs aren't exactly Jimmy Webb-ish as far as the quality of the songwriting goes, but there are some real gems in there as well and the list is above all a testament to the fact that Lukather is one of the most creative guys in the music business.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:45 am

r@y wrote:
Sundet wrote:Speaking of Luke....look up Bill Champlin and Derek Sherinian....think Luke may have done something with them in some of their more recent records. Again, this is off the top of my old head again...haha

Ray

Luke appears (and absolutely shreds) on a few of Derek Sherinian's solo LP's, but doesn't have any writing credits. (However, from a guitar standpoint, it definitely sounds like he got to play whatever he wanted over Derek's compositions. Well worth a listen)
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby MarcelJordan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:30 am

Awesome thread. Thanks Sundet. From this I discovered several other songs that are performed by the Toto boys. Example : Protection by Donna Summer. Paich, Steve P. Steve Lukather and Jeff perform.

Now back to our regular programming. :P

MJ
2011 New Album by Survivor - RE-ENTRY!
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Return to Toto