Any chance of performing Isolation songs as a tribute?

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Any chance of performing Isolation songs as a tribute?

Postby TotoFan77 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:52 pm

Anyone think there's a chance that Toto will perform some songs off of Isolation on the upcoming tour as a tribute? Now that Mike has sadly passed away, half of the Isolation line-up is now gone (Mike, Jeff and Fergie) I think it would be great if they performed a few deep cuts or even some of the singles. I'd love to hear Joe perform Angel Don't Cry or Endless.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Re: Any chance of performing Isolation songs as a tribute?

Postby r@y » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:55 am

Personally, I'd LOVE it. But....I highly doubt they would.

Let's see...

Ray
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby DracIsBack » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:41 am

I proposed this on their website as well. I'm a little skeptical though. Of all Toto's lead singers, Fergie could really get "up there" and Joe previously commented how challengingly high his songs were to do.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby r@y » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:50 pm

DracIsBack wrote:I proposed this on their website as well. I'm a little skeptical though. Of all Toto's lead singers, Fergie could really get "up there" and Joe previously commented how challengingly high his songs were to do.

Yeah....I mean, go back to their setlists over the years. Which album has least songs played live ? Yup, bingo. Isolation.

For whatever reason.

I could ask Luke....but he will either give a cryptic answer or not commit...haha. I suggested to him the other day that they MUST do Never Enough, now that Lenny is touring with them, to which he replied "haha maybe....hahaha"

Ray
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby Sundet » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:36 pm

In fact, a while back - when somebody came to mention the passing of Fergie - Lukather commented on his Facebook that he would persuade the band to play a thing or two off of Isolation as way of a tribute. I can't be bothered to plough through his Facebook to find it, but it's there somewhere. My immediate thought was that he will have a hard time convincing Joe to do any of those songs, but you never know. I guess a song like Change of Heart would be a cool, deep album cut for the Yes tour, especially with the middle section, which has Yes written all over it.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby TotoFan77 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:23 am

Well they could do Lion which was originally for Bobby and his vocal range (so it would be easier for Joe to do) That would be a GREAT song but since Bobby has a writing credit on it, I doubt they will.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby brandonx76 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:47 am

They opened the 7th one tour with 'Carmen' - with a killer guitar solo intro...saw them (when Joe sounded good) in Ventura, CA back in the day. Here's a boot I found on you tube...I have a better recording tho on the hard drive somewhere...
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:23 am

Love Isolation. No disrespect to XIV, which I like and some in the band are hailing as a natural follow-up to IV, but imo, Isolation is an underrated masterpiece.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:04 am

Isolation is one of their best records. But I don't think Joe could sing many of the Fergie songs, and those are generally the strongest ones on the LP (or at least the ones that would be best in a live rock show)

They could always get whoever the current female backup singer is to sing one of the tracks? I'm sure no one would complain if it meant "Angel Don't Cry" or "Isolation" was pulled out.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby MarcelJordan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:05 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Love Isolation. No disrespect to XIV, which I like and some in the band are hailing as a natural follow-up to IV, but imo, Isolation is an underrated masterpiece.

Once you have to follow up a 6 time grammy winning album, the following can NOT get as much credit. That said, I agree it's an awesome album. But I wonder how it would have sounded with Richard Page. :shock: Then again there would likely have been not "Welcome to the Real World" album (but that's for another thread!).

Here in Singapore, I recall the local papers hailed it saying the band were top notch in the craft and it shows it in the album. Yep, believe it.

MJ
2011 New Album by Survivor - RE-ENTRY!
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Return to Toto