Anyone here heard Bobby's album Classic Toto Hits with FRO?

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Anyone here heard Bobby's album Classic Toto Hits with FRO?

Postby TotoFan77 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:51 am

In 1990, Bobby did a live album with the Frankfurt Rock Orchestra and covered a bunch of Toto songs. It's been re-released several times over the years, I've seen about 4 or 5 different covers for this record online. Has anyone here heard it? It's a great record and it's worth it alone for his great versions of Isolation and Out Of Love.

I think this is so much better than the Bryon version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x97T9slGPzY
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Re: Anyone here heard Bobby's album Classic Toto Hits with F

Postby WalrusOct9 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:11 am

Worth it to hear Bobby sing a couple songs he didn't sing originally, but the band are pretty poor imitations of the original, and whenever an anonymous henchman sings Dave or Luke's lead vocal parts, it's kind of jarringly bad.

Always kind of wondered how this project happened. But I imagine around 1990, Bobby needed to make a few bucks. It makes me wish for a real Toto/orchestra collaboration though. It's been done to death by others, for sure, but if they brought out stuff like "Change Of Heart," it'd be a pretty cool event.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby Sundet » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:07 pm

I must admit I found this album to be absolutely horrible, though I seem to remember a number of non-Toto bonus tracks were not all that bad. This release did not go down well in the Toto camp and, alongside Kimball's touring as 'Toto', it certainly soured relations between the two parties in the first half of the 90s.

Change of Heart is a song that I can see Toto perform live on the joint tour with Yes. I have a hunch they'll be playing that one this time around.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby DracIsBack » Tue May 12, 2015 9:33 pm

Sundet wrote:I must admit I found this album to be absolutely horrible, though I seem to remember a number of non-Toto bonus tracks were not all that bad.

Is that the one where he covers "Cool Change" by the Little River Band?
DracIsBack
8 Track

Return to Toto