Running Out of Time
I'll Supply the Love
Burn
Stranger in Town
Never Enough
I Won't Hold You Back
Holy War
Hold the Line
Takin’ It Back (Steve Porcaro on vocals)
Pamela
Bottom of Your Soul
Caught in the Balance
Without Your Love
Orphan
The Road Goes On
Great Expectations
Rosanna
On the Run
White Sister
Africa

Truly amazing!
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Re: Toto's incredible new setlist.

Postby LtVanish » Fri May 22, 2015 12:03 pm

WOW, that is fantastic, I wonder what songs will be cut for the Yes tour in the states. I hope Stanger in Town stays on the set, Ive always wanted to hear that live.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby DracIsBack » Fri May 22, 2015 1:15 pm

Yeah - I wanna hear Stranger and Road Goes On (One of my favorites) too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3bTq0s0TM8

I get why they do co-headliners, but it's a bummer too when that's what you get in your market. In the 35th tour, I really wanted to see Goin' Home and It's A Feeling live, but no dice. Cut.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri May 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Killer setlist. Damn. Sooo many good tunes.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Sundet » Fri May 22, 2015 4:49 pm

That's at least one song from every Toto studio album save for Turn Back (unless they still incorporate a part of Goodbye Elenore into On the Run). Quite a feat after about 12 full studio albums plus about two albums worth of b-sides and extras (i.e. XX, Past to Present, though the latter is not represented here). Nice selection from the new album as well - very very happy that they do Burn, Running Out of Time and Great Expectations. I had sort of hoped (?) them to squeeze the bass/percussion break of Can You Hear What I'm Saying into the middle of Great Expectations (there is a quite similar part in there) as a tip of the hat to Mike Porcaro.

There will always be personal preferences etc. but I am happy they gave Home of the Brave this time around, and also glad to see Hold the Line tucked into the middle of the set. I had hoped for a Steve Porcaro lead vocal double of Takin' it Back (we all saw that one coming didn't we?) and The Little Things as well. By the way, the performance of Takin' it Back means that Toto has now been performed live in its entirety, which I believe is a Toto second (live performances of It's a Feeling completed Toto IV, with We Made It being performed a few times on the Tambu tour). Isolation and Fahrenheit comes close to having been performed live in their entirety as well, but Can't Stand it Any Longer has never been played live, while Holyanna off of Isolation has only been performed once, in 1996 as a very short improvised version.

There are a few songs here that haven't been performed live for quite some time. Without Your Love was last performed live in 1990 I believe, while Stranger in Town haven't had an airing since the October/November 1986 tour of Japan and Hawaii. Never Enough has been rested since at least 1993, though I seem to remember Lukather doing it live on a solo tour at some point (2008?).

All in all a very good setlist - but you wouldn't expect anything less from Toto would you?
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby DracIsBack » Fri May 22, 2015 9:00 pm

DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri May 22, 2015 9:11 pm

Awesome set. Nearly all of my favorites from XIV and a whole bunch of great old songs. Wish they would play near me... still haven't caught 'em live. Saw Luke solo on the ECT tour in 08, but that's it.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby DracIsBack » Sat May 23, 2015 9:44 am

Sundet wrote:That's at least one song from every Toto studio album save for Turn Back (unless they still incorporate a part of Goodbye Elenore into On the Run).

Sounds like they do - along with Can You Hear What I'm Saying into Great Expectations.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby TotoFan77 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:32 am

Sundet wrote:That's at least one song from every Toto studio album save for Turn Back (unless they still incorporate a part of Goodbye Elenore into On the Run). Quite a feat after about 12 full studio albums plus about two albums worth of b-sides and extras (i.e. XX, Past to Present, though the latter is not represented here). Nice selection from the new album as well - very very happy that they do Burn, Running Out of Time and Great Expectations. I had sort of hoped (?) them to squeeze the bass/percussion break of Can You Hear What I'm Saying into the middle of Great Expectations (there is a quite similar part in there) as a tip of the hat to Mike Porcaro.

There will always be personal preferences etc. but I am happy they gave Home of the Brave this time around, and also glad to see Hold the Line tucked into the middle of the set. I had hoped for a Steve Porcaro lead vocal double of Takin' it Back (we all saw that one coming didn't we?) and The Little Things as well. By the way, the performance of Takin' it Back means that Toto has now been performed live in its entirety, which I believe is a Toto second (live performances of It's a Feeling completed Toto IV, with We Made It being performed a few times on the Tambu tour). Isolation and Fahrenheit comes close to having been performed live in their entirety as well, but Can't Stand it Any Longer has never been played live, while Holyanna off of Isolation has only been performed once, in 1996 as a very short improvised version.

There are a few songs here that haven't been performed live for quite some time. Without Your Love was last performed live in 1990 I believe, while Stranger in Town haven't had an airing since the October/November 1986 tour of Japan and Hawaii. Never Enough has been rested since at least 1993, though I seem to remember Lukather doing it live on a solo tour at some point (2008?).

All in all a very good setlist - but you wouldn't expect anything less from Toto would you?

We Made it from Toto IV has never been performed live. I remember seeing that error on Toto's website years ago when they used to have a setlist section and it accidentally said it was performed in 1995. According to Benno's old Toto website (which has a VERY extensive setlist section plus tons of informations on alot of live bootlegs) it was never performed on the Tambu tour.

It's a shame, I have no idea why it's never been performed. It was MADE for live performances, such an epic song.

PLEASE prove me wrong though. If you have a live performance of this song, I would love to hear it. I've wanted this track performed live for years.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby r@y » Sat May 23, 2015 1:44 pm

Ohhhh mannn.....Luke's guitar outtro on Orphan live is just mind blowing. Dayyyum !

Ray
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby r@y » Sat May 23, 2015 4:31 pm

r@y
LP

Postby Sundet » Sat May 23, 2015 7:49 pm

DracIsBack wrote:
Sundet wrote:That's at least one song from every Toto studio album save for Turn Back (unless they still incorporate a part of Goodbye Elenore into On the Run).

Sounds like they do - along with Can You Hear What I'm Saying into Great Expectations.

So they actually DO that Can You Hear... breakdown as part of Great Expectations? That's great - Can You Hear... was the first thing that sprung to mind when I first heard that.

Edit: F-k yeah, just saw a clip of that on Youtube. What a great tip of the hat to Mike!
Last edited by Sundet on Sat May 23, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby Sundet » Sat May 23, 2015 7:54 pm

TotoFan77 wrote:We Made it from Toto IV has never been performed live. I remember seeing that error on Toto's website years ago when they used to have a setlist section and it accidentally said it was performed in 1995. According to Benno's old Toto website (which has a VERY extensive setlist section plus tons of informations on alot of live bootlegs) it was never performed on the Tambu tour.

It's a shame, I have no idea why it's never been performed. It was MADE for live performances, such an epic song.

PLEASE prove me wrong though. If you have a live performance of this song, I would love to hear it. I've wanted this track performed live for years.

We Made It was performed on the first couple of shows of the Tambu tour (in the UK I believe), but then dropped from the set never to resurface. So it might only have been played once or twice. Unfortunately I have never stumbled across recordings from the UK leg of the Tambu tour.

Same with Melanie - only performed once or twice on the French leg of the Mindfields tour. Fahrenheit was only played live a few times on the Japan leg of the 1986 tour (along with We Can Make It and Lea, which were then played again after Joseph rejoined).
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby DracIsBack » Sat May 23, 2015 10:44 pm

Haven't seen vids of "the Road Goes On" or "Stranger In Town" or a full "I'll Supply the Love" yet (just a snippet). Maybe future shows
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby TotoFan77 » Sun May 24, 2015 12:05 am

Sundet, I need to start looking for those UK bootlegs. Do you know how it was performed? Like who sang in place of Bobby?

I knew about Melanie. There's a bootleg of one of those performances luckily and they also performed it on a tv show, but it was playback.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby Sundet » Mon May 25, 2015 12:31 am

TotoFan77 wrote:Sundet, I need to start looking for those UK bootlegs. Do you know how it was performed? Like who sang in place of Bobby?

I have never stumbled across any recordings from the UK leg of the Tambu tour, but that's not to say that none exist. Apparently 'We Made It' was sung by Jenny Douglas from what I can vaguely remember from a review back in October 1995. Can't believe it's been 20 years. Oh dear.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby Dublinproud » Mon May 25, 2015 2:28 am

Got to see Toto (finally) last night in Dublin. Incredible gig. The guys seems to be having alot of fun! There was alot of material squeezed into them 2 hours!
Dublinproud
Fresh Air

Postby DracIsBack » Mon May 25, 2015 3:13 am

Dublinproud wrote:Got to see Toto (finally) last night in Dublin. Incredible gig. The guys seems to be having alot of fun! There was alot of material squeezed into them 2 hours!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV4pCjljYOU
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby Dublinproud » Mon May 25, 2015 7:22 am

DracIsBack wrote:
Dublinproud wrote:Got to see Toto (finally) last night in Dublin. Incredible gig. The guys seems to be having alot of fun! There was alot of material squeezed into them 2 hours!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV4pCjljYOU

Cheers for that! :D Amazing night!
Dublinproud
Fresh Air

Postby Ehwmatt » Mon May 25, 2015 10:18 am

Did part of my honeymoon in your beautiful city in August 2013. Really wish Toto would've played there then!
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby DracIsBack » Mon May 25, 2015 11:12 am

DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby r@y » Mon May 25, 2015 11:51 am

Never Enough....so great to hear this live again after a long time.....Luke's vocals still pretty solid. Awesome live one !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0-mQhaWqrA
r@y
LP

Postby Dublinproud » Tue May 26, 2015 12:28 am

Ehwmatt wrote:

Did part of my honeymoon in your beautiful city in August 2013. Really wish Toto would've played there then!

Thanks for the compliment! Glad you had a good time and hope the weather wasn't too bad :D
Dublinproud
Fresh Air

Postby TotoFan77 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:41 am

Caught In The Balance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z-tB1-n3Uw

Joseph is actually singing it EXACTLY like on the record, something Bobby was never able to do live. This is the first time it's being performed properly, amazing!

EDIT: And it's so fucking great to finally hear this song without Greg's ridiculous and annoying ad-libbing!
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 26, 2015 2:21 am

DracIsBack wrote:Stranger In Town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtFj2BfOWrM

This is great. Thanks.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 26, 2015 2:28 am

TotoFan77 wrote:EDIT: And it's so fucking great to finally hear this song without Greg's ridiculous and annoying ad-libbing!

Never noticed this...you mean on BG vocals? Keys?
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby lordreo » Tue May 26, 2015 8:47 am

I just have to say, I can't believe how Joseph gets better and better every tour. What I saw in all these videos here was just outstanding and the reason why Toto is my all-time favourite band! Incredible!
lordreo
Ol' 78

Postby DracIsBack » Tue May 26, 2015 10:30 am

The Road Goes On ... if they drop this for North America, I may go crazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuQmkPCzlnc
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby DracIsBack » Tue May 26, 2015 10:41 am

lordreo wrote:I just have to say, I can't believe how Joseph gets better and better every tour. What I saw in all these videos here was just outstanding and the reason why Toto is my all-time favourite band! Incredible!

He blew me away on "I'll Supply The Love" and I was convinced that was too high to do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuHM1iFZQW0
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby Dublinproud » Tue May 26, 2015 2:17 pm

I know i'm being picky after the setlist we got in Dublin but i'd have loved to see Joseph take on Dying On My Feet.
I get goosebumps just imagining it. To al the Toto experts here has he ever performed that song live with the band?
Dublinproud
Fresh Air

Next

Return to Toto