My experience seeing Toto live.

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

My experience seeing Toto live.

Postby ChickenStu » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:38 pm

I saw them on 26th May at the Eventim Apollo in Hammersmith. I took my nine year old kid. I've seen quite a few concerts in my time on this Earth - and I tell you what... there really is something seriously special about Toto.
They ain't like a bunch of 50-60 somethings performing... it's like watching a young, hungry new band! Luke was all over the stage like a madman, Williams fucking nailed EVERYTHING, Paich stole the show a few times and Hungate was reliable as ever.
I don't play - so I don't know how to really talk knowledgeably about sound quality and stuff or how good a band member plays or something - but it all sounded damn fucking good to me! :D

The best part for me though was my daughter's face when the curtain dropped and the band launched into "Running Out Of Time". I really should have filmed that moment or took a picture of it.

The real sweetest thing, and why it was such a great night? Luke turned something negative into something really positive. At one point early in the show he complained about having a cold and it affecting his voice and stuff. So what he did was genius - he said to the audience "You guys have to help me on a few of the songs". Whenever he felt his voice go, he gestured to the audience like "Over to you guys" and literally the WHOLE Apollo was singing along. Now if that's not making lemonade when life gives you lemons, I don't know what is! :D It REALLY made the gig feel special.

It's been a week. I saw Fleetwood Mac the night after - but Toto is the one that's sticking in my mind. FM were great and all but it was a different vibe if you know what I mean.

It really was a beautiful, special night.

On a personal note if you'll indulge me... all these X-Factor shows and these acts you get like Justin Bieber or One Direction... it's cool that today's kids have something to call their own or whatever - but I am very, VERY pleased that the first concert my young daughter ever went to was that of a classic American rock band like Toto. I'm really pleased she's had that experience!

If Toto are playing near you, I BEG you - go see them, and go completely WILD for them. I'm hearing rumours that they're treating this as the final curtain call and the end is imminent. If we all go to the concerts and show the guys what a great time we're having and what they really mean to us... I think we can get another ten years and one more album out of them.
Whereas a lot of bands this age are resting on laurels and doing greatest hits gigs - Toto are still out there busting their balls - still going at it like hammer & tongs with the attitude of a new band, young hungry and with something to prove. It's unique in this day and age.

Toto forever. The guys just ROCK!
ChickenStu
Ol' 78

Re: My experience seeing Toto live.

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:37 am

ChickenStu wrote:I'm hearing rumours that they're treating this as the final curtain call and the end is imminent. If we all go to the concerts and show the guys what a great time we're having and what they really mean to us... I think we can get another ten years and one more album out of them.

As much as I selfishly want the band to go on forever, this lineup would be a great and classy way to bow out. A bunch of reunited high school buds walking stage left into the AOR sunset....
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby DracIsBack » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:50 am

Would be great if Bobby came back for that final tour too. Before they disbanded, I remember Luke was talking about going out with Bobby, Joe and Fergie after the Falling In Between tour to celebrate their 30th but it never came to be.

Would be so awesome if the final lineup had

- Paich (Keyboards)
- Porcaro (Keyboards)
- Lukather (Guitar)
- Hungate (Bass)
- Phillips (Drums)
- Williams (Vocals)
- Kimball (Vocals)

That would be amazing ...
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby WalrusOct9 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:31 am

I hope they at least tour this thing long enough so I can actually catch a date before they hang it up. If I never get to see them with Joe, I'll be really, really bummed.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby Sundet » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:50 pm

DracIsBack wrote:Would be great if Bobby came back for that final tour too. Before they disbanded, I remember Luke was talking about going out with Bobby, Joe and Fergie after the Falling In Between tour to celebrate their 30th but it never came to be.

I think Toto with Bobby Kimball ran its course. Personal relations between him and some of the band notwithstanding, I don't see what he could bring to the table these days. Vocally he would be overshadowed and overpowered by Williams, and it seems quite clear that the band benefit from what Williams brings in while the last few years with Kimball was almost a matter of deteoration and, eventually, disintegration. So, in a word, I much prefer the band as it is. I would very much like Simon to come back, but would also be interested to see Carlock in a live situation. I do wonder what transpired there. Suddenly Carlock was gone, ostensibly because of a Steely Dan tour that must have been booked after he initially committed to the band and the recording of Toto XIV. There might not be any drama there, but it seems a bit strange.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby DracIsBack » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:11 am

Sundet wrote:I do wonder what transpired there. Suddenly Carlock was gone, ostensibly because of a Steely Dan tour that must have been booked after he initially committed to the band and the recording of Toto XIV. There might not be any drama there, but it seems a bit strange.

Maybe Carlock didn't read his contract closely with Steely Dan? Shame because it seemed like he only ever played a few concerts with the band. I wanted to see him live too.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby Sundet » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:46 pm

DracIsBack wrote:
Maybe Carlock didn't read his contract closely with Steely Dan? Shame because it seemed like he only ever played a few concerts with the band. I wanted to see him live too.

I have this peculiar feeling that he might have read his contract closely with Toto... Lukather said something to the effect that Carlock had been with Steely for 15 years or whatnot and that as such he found it difficult to just walk away from that gig, but that statement was a bit vague, especially after the announcement of Carlock's joining Toto was something to the effect that he had one more tour to do with Steely and then would commit to Toto XIV and subsequent tour. I have this strange feeling that he might have been faced with the prospect of being an unincorporated member, as it were, and may have decided that he might as well be an unincorporated member of Steely. This is, of course, pure guesswork.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby Onestepper » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:22 am

I'm going to see them in St Louis later this month and cannot wait to hear the new material live. Saw them a bit over a year ago at a smaller venue, so I'm anxious to hear how they sound in a much larger auditorium. Will report back.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Return to Toto