Is Keith a member of Toto or not?

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Is Keith a member of Toto or not?

Postby DracIsBack » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:03 am

He played one brief set of shows, performed on XIV, but otherwise has not played live with them.

Wikipedia lists him as a "former member" but has that ever actually been confirmed? Anyone can change Wikipedia, and it does often get changed by people who pass off their personal speculations as facts.

Anyone know what the deal is?
DracIsBack
8 Track

Re: Is Keith a member of Toto or not?

Postby JohnH » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:05 pm

I think you can put him in the list of paid sidemen. No more a member than David Hungate or Lenny Castro. That's why the band photo shoots are just four members , as is the tour shirt I have. Lukather said on Twitter Keith is out for this year but that was said last year too .
JohnH
8 Track

Postby Sundet » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:16 pm

I think Lukather and Paich at one point sort of did a Glenn Frey/Don Henley thing and basically ran away with it. They changed management without consulting the other band members, which in part contributed to Simon calling it a day, as stated by both Simon and Lukather. I think Simon took a very graceful approach by leaving rather than causing some big argument, which has allowed them to remain on very friendly terms. Joe Williams and Steve Porcaro are obviously corporate members of the band, but take a back seat to Paich and Lukather in terms of band decisions and business.

As for Carlock, I can't help but suspect that he sort of stepped down upon discovering that he was not to be a corporate member of the band, and, as long as he was only going to be a side man, as it were, opted to be a side man for Steely rather than Toto. I think it's all friendly though, and I don't think Paich and Lukather are anywhere near as vicious as Frey/Henley have obviously tended to be. But there can be no doubt who runs the band these days and who are corporate members and who are not.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:49 am

Sundet wrote: They changed management without consulting the other band members, which in part contributed to Simon calling it a day, as stated by both Simon and Lukather.

First I've heard of this. Is Sy still represented by TOTO's old management, Fitzgerald/Hartley?

Regarding the thread topic, I think Shannon right now is THE guy. I don't see that changing.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby DracIsBack » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:10 am

Sundet wrote:I think Lukather and Paich at one point sort of did a Glenn Frey/Don Henley thing

Yeah - Not sure I'd go *that* far. Henley and Frey (as much as I love their music) come across as complete assholes a lot of the time.

Luke and Paich do not, IMO.

and basically ran away with it. They changed management without consulting the other band members, which in part contributed to Simon calling it a day, as stated by both Simon and Lukather.

I have read the Lukather quote, not the Philips one. Can you share?

Most articles I've read have said there isn't any feud whatsoever. In fact, one interview I heard of Luke right before Mike passed had Simon texting him while he was on the call and Luke talking about attending Simon's first few gigs.

As for the corporate structure, I can see why Lukather and Paich would hold more power. Look at longevity with the band. Look at songwriting. Look at who sings what.

But there can be no doubt who runs the band these days and who are corporate members and who are not.

Dunno. I'm not part of the band.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby Sundet » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:27 pm

DracIsBack wrote:

Indeed, from about the 10:50 mark, and put in a very diplomatic way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au83CcZhP0M

Most articles I've read have said there isn't any feud whatsoever. In fact, one interview I heard of Luke right before Mike passed had Simon texting him while he was on the call and Luke talking about attending Simon's first few gigs.

That is the whole point. Simon left before there was a feud. Pretty much like Steve Porcaro in 1987, who told the Toto Legend in a 1994 interview that he basically left before there was a big argument or feud. It is quite apparant that Simon did pretty much the same thing. I guess having been in the band for 20 years and wanting to do something new as well made the decision to leave easier for him. I suppose he might even have considered leaving before the management issues came up, and when they did he quite simply called it a day and remained on very good terms with the band.

As for Paich and Lukather now pretty much running the show, I do think they have every reason to do so. Indeed, as Henley did state in the History of the Eagles documentary: A band is no hippie commune. Absolutely fantastic quote.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:47 pm

Sundet wrote:
DracIsBack wrote:

Indeed, from about the 10:50 mark, and put in a very diplomatic way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au83CcZhP0M

Sy doesn't really answer the question. Maybe the switch in Management lead to a more demanding touring schedule? No idea.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby JohnH » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:22 am

Yes and in a recent podcast Simon was clear that he didn't want to do long constant touring and that he'd been hospitalized because of it before.

That video definitely seems to allude to the business side of the band and things changing. From drum magazines and podcasts I've read and heard he was already wanting to leave to pursue jazz fusion and protocol, the business part was probably the final nail in the coffin.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby Sundet » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:38 am

JohnH wrote:Yes and in a recent podcast Simon was clear that he didn't want to do long constant touring and that he'd been hospitalized because of it before.

I'm not sure touring is an issue with Toto, unless they want to go down that 2000s path again. If they did, I think Paich would jump off the wagon. Right from the point where they did the 9 month Tambu tour, Paich was pretty clear that he was no fan of prolonged touring (see the 1995 Tambu Press Kit video) and touring, combined with his sister's situation, was the reason he sort of semi-retired in 2002. I think this summer's run is the longest they have done since reforming in 2010. Previous tours have been pretty much three weeks in Europe and then a couple of weeks in Japan or USA.

JohnH wrote:That video definitely seems to allude to the business side of the band and things changing. From drum magazines and podcasts I've read and heard he was already wanting to leave to pursue jazz fusion and protocol, the business part was probably the final nail in the coffin.

I think this pretty much sums it up. He is deliberately vague in the podcast video, but definitely alludes to management/business side of things. Lukather pretty spelled it out when he said that he and Paich pretty much made the management decision themselves.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby TotoFan77 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:53 am

Toto's facebook page lists Shannon as an official member.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby Sundet » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:47 pm

TotoFan77 wrote:Toto's facebook page lists Shannon as an official member.

Indeed. But still, if he is a full member, it's strange that he's not posing with the band for photos with fans on this tour. Only Paich, Lukarher, Williams, Porcaro and Hungate do that.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Return to Toto