All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Pro Footage from this year's tour!

Postby DracIsBack » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:30 am

DracIsBack
8 Track

Re: Pro Footage from this year's tour!

Postby artinis1 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:00 pm

Is there a DVD and live cd in the works?
artinis1
45 RPM

Postby WalrusOct9 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:25 am

I think Shannon plays closer to Jeff's style and feel than Simon did. I don't know whether that was intentional or not, but I really enjoyed his playing at the show I saw this summer.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:44 am

A lot of it is the mix. He's more a hired gun than a full member, so I think he's laying back a bit and just playing the songs the way they're supposed to be played. But he was nice and loud in the mix when I actually saw him live. Simon definitely had more personality and imparted his own style, so I see where you're coming from, but Shannon is truer to the old Toto sound and feel, IMO. That video is probably just a live TV feed, and not something subjected to a post-production mix, which usually doesn't help the rhythm section.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:09 pm

Joe seems tired, but still sounds really good. As for Forrest vs. Sy...with Lenny there, TOTO's percussion has never sounded better.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby DracIsBack » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:51 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Joe seems tired, but still sounds really good.

If I'm being honest with myself, I thought the band sounded a bit tired this tour. I saw them near the tail end of the Yes co-bill.

I'm not saying they put on a bad show. Every Toto show I've ever seen has been excellent. But I've seen them perform better than this tour. The band seem a bit tired (especially Joe) and his voice was giving him a little more trouble than it has in the past. He's also got a fair bit of weight back and it seems to affect his stamina and energy.

I was also disappointed that almost all the great songs I wanted to see them do got dropped for North America, but I understand. Europe had a kick ass set, but North America lost a lot of songs out of necessity of having to co-headline with YES.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby WalrusOct9 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:07 am

DracIsBack wrote:

If I'm being honest with myself, I thought the band sounded a bit tired this tour. I saw them near the tail end of the Yes co-bill.

I'm not saying they put on a bad show. Every Toto show I've ever seen has been excellent. But I've seen them perform better than this tour. The band seem a bit tired (especially Joe) and his voice was giving him a little more trouble than it has in the past. He's also got a fair bit of weight back and it seems to affect his stamina and energy.

I was also disappointed that almost all the great songs I wanted to see them do got dropped for North America, but I understand. Europe had a kick ass set, but North America lost a lot of songs out of necessity of having to co-headline with YES.

Compared to Squire-less Yes, though, they practically sounded like Slayer. :lol:

I thought they started out a bit sluggish, but got better as the set wore on. I attributed it to the audience, honestly. A lot of people hadn't gotten there by the 7:30 PM start time, and the ones that were, of course, were just sitting down. Listening, but sitting down. They won the crowd over (playing their two biggest hits at the end helped), but it took a little while. The weird pacing of the set ("Without Your Love" was kind of a vibe-killer, and "Never Enough" is one of the more average tracks on KoD, IMO) maybe didn't help either. Getting out of the meandering "Without Your Love" and into "Little Wing" led to a really energized rest of the set, both crowd and band. The On The Run > Orphan > Rosanna sequence really worked. Too bad they had to stop after one more song.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:27 am

DracIsBack wrote:

Boy, I must've seen a totally different band. Everybody--including Joe--was firing on all cylinders when I saw them in early August. Granted, it was my first time seeing them, but I'm overly critical if anything and I thought the show and performance kicked ass. Sure, a lot of my favorite songs were left out, but that woulda been the case even if they had 3 hours to play.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby DracIsBack » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:48 am

Ehwmatt wrote:Boy, I must've seen a totally different band. Everybody--including Joe--was firing on all cylinders when I saw them in early August. Granted, it was my first time seeing them

That's the difference.

This was my fifth time seeing them (2005, 2007, 2013, 2014, 2015) so I had that to compare to. :-) Also, you saw them at the start of North America and I saw them at nearly the end.

Again, I'm not saying Toto put on a bad show. every show I've ever seen them do has been great. But this show played against other shows I've seen from them, the performance wasn't as good as it has been. 2013 was the best concert I've ever seen - from anyone. 2007 had Fergie join them on stage. Joe is a fantastic live singer, but he was "more fantastic" in the other two.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby Anymajordude » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:14 am

Could it be that Joe had a cold that night? Sounds like it.
Anymajordude
Radio Waves

Postby Sundet » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:07 pm

Anymajordude wrote:Could it be that Joe had a cold that night? Sounds like it.

Definitely a cold. Weather was for the most part awful in Europe while they were touring this summer, so a cold was almost inevitable. But he still sounds fine I think. Imagine singing some of these songs two nights out of three for two months, then getting a cold on top of it and still sound as good as this.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby artinis1 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:01 pm

Did they film this for an eventual live release
in 2016?
artinis1
45 RPM

Postby WalrusOct9 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:31 am

artinis1 wrote:Did they film this for an eventual live release
in 2016?

No. Most (all?) of the Montreux sets are filmed and/or televised. No idea what they're filmed for or where they're aired, but there's tons of them out there (including from Toto's 1991 show). There's a whole series of archival "Live At Montreux" releases, but those are sort of a separate thing from the artists' own catalog.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Return to Toto