Toto Setlist 2016

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Toto Setlist 2016

Postby Sundet » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:23 pm

Well, based on the first gig of the tour in Belgium, the set seems pretty much unaltered from last year (that is, after some of the tunes performed in May and June had been dropped). There is particularly one very, very welcome addition though... see if you can spot it.

Running
Supply Love
Burn
Stranger
Won't Hold You Back
Hold the Line
Georgy P
Afraid
Bend
Pamela
Great Expectations
Without Your Love / Guitar Wanking
Holy War
Road
Orphan
Rosanna
Run
Africa

Very nice to see Bend in there, quite possibly my favourite off of XIV (and I am looking very much forward to Steve Porcaro's solo album now, which should be forthcoming).

I'd rather have Chinatown than Georgy P in there, but I guess I may need a loo break anyway.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Re: Toto Setlist 2016

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:27 am

Sundet wrote:Very nice to see Bend in there, quite possibly my favourite off of XIV (and I am looking very much forward to Steve Porcaro's solo album now, which should be forthcoming).

Paich recently said that he may put out a solo album in the future also.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby artinis1 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:38 am

Will there be a live cd/DVD from these shows?
Really hope so, they have done this for the past
4 or 5 tours
artinis1
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:30 pm

Footage online shows Joe killing it. If they do a XIV DVD, I would love to have some of the Fahrenheit and Isolation tunes in the mix. (ex. Could This Be Love, Til The End, Lion, Stranger in Town etc.)
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:39 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Footage online shows Joe killing it. If they do a XIV DVD, I would love to have some of the Fahrenheit and Isolation tunes in the mix. (ex. Could This Be Love, Til The End, Lion, Stranger in Town etc.)

Me too. Lots of songs on those records that I'd love to hear 'beefed up' in a live version. They're products of their time, and I love them, but wouldn't mind hearing them updated. I loved how "Endless" and "Isolation" sounded on the 2007 tour, just wish they'd have played the full songs instead of doing a medley.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby TotoFan77 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:02 am

It doesn't make sense why Steve Porcaro is not performing The Little Things when the song is clearly a tribute to Mike and Jeff. It would be a great song to perform live. Unless Steve is afraid that he would break down live while performing it, which is the only reason I can think of for as to why he's not playing it.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:33 am

TotoFan77 wrote:It doesn't make sense why Steve Porcaro is not performing The Little Things when the song is clearly a tribute to Mike and Jeff. It would be a great song to perform live. Unless Steve is afraid that he would break down live while performing it, which is the only reason I can think of for as to why he's not playing it.

I don't think Toto has played more than 4-5 songs (in full..."Taint Your World" doesn't count) from a then-new album since early in the Kingdom Of Desire tour. It's a bummer, but that's just how most classic rock bands are. I personally feel like (in Europe, at least), they'd have the kind of fan base that would allow them to take chances and play more new stuff, but for whatever reason, they rarely have. "Running Out Of Time," "Burn" and "Orphan" are kind of obvious picks, "Great Expectations" is probably the most fun one to play given their sometimes-obscured prog-rock leanings, so you've already almost filled the 'new song' limit.

"The Little Things" is a gorgeous song, but probably a bit too mellow for an arena show...it sounds a bit like "Melanie," which even though was a single, was only attempted live two or three times before the band decided it didn't work.

I am a bit surprised they haven't played "Unknown Soldier" though, but again...even though it rocks at times, it's still a pretty downtempo tune.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:43 am

TotoFan77 wrote:It doesn't make sense why Steve Porcaro is not performing The Little Things when the song is clearly a tribute to Mike and Jeff. It would be a great song to perform live. Unless Steve is afraid that he would break down live while performing it, which is the only reason I can think of for as to why he's not playing it.

Steve P's songs are always unique and have their place on the albums. "Little Things" is heartfelt and poppy. Nice song, but too much for me. As much as I appreciate Steve P's contributions, at a live concert, I would much rather hear something that rocks or grooves.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Sundet » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:10 pm

Saw the band in Denmark last night and did the 'VIP' thing, which I found pretty pointless. The soundcheck was interesting enough, but it felt very awkward doing the photo shoot thing and I've never been one to collect autographs. I asked Joseph about the project he did with his brother in the early 90s that was never released (though songs have been cropping up on their respective solo records), but he didn't seem very interested and merely said it was never finished.

The gig was great, as usual with this band. Burn and Bend were my highlights. Very excited to see them put the latter in the set and would rather have that than Little Things in the set, even if it is a brilliant song. Speaking of which, I think Bend is more of a tribute to his deceased brothers than is Little Things, although he didn't introduce it with some kind of dedication to either of them last night. Luke dedicated Road Goes On to Mike and Jeff though, but not sure why he didn't make any mention of Fergie (which he used to do last year).

Strangely, I felt like leaving the gig after The Road Goes On, as it somehow felt appropriate. I actually wish they'd close the show with that particular song.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:16 pm

Sundet wrote:I asked Joseph about the project he did with his brother in the early 90s that was never released (though songs have been cropping up on their respective solo records), but he didn't seem very interested and merely said it was never finished.

You get to talk to any other members of the band? I give Joe alot of credit for mingling with the fans. Some lead singers won't do it simply from fear of getting sick. I know MeatLoaf just announced that he is done with Meet and Greets for that exact reason (not like he has much of a voice left to save).
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Sundet » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:30 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:You get to talk to any other members of the band? I give Joe alot of credit for mingling with the fans. Some lead singers won't do it simply from fear of getting sick. I know MeatLoaf just announced that he is done with Meet and Greets for that exact reason (not like he has much of a voice left to save).

Yeah, the four members are there for the photo thing and then a signing session, and you get plenty of opportunities to ask them questions during that as well as during the soundcheck. Joe Williams wandered around the venue and picked up a few things from their merch stall as well (I guess he must be a fan). They are all easy going and professional about the meet and greet thing - heck, if I myself had to do a meet and greet like that with 10-15-20 strangers every night, I would have quit the band after about a week. But then again I guess they are raking in some extra revenue on these VIP experience things (not sure what they cost though; I got mine as a 'bonus' courtesy of my frequent flyer programme after having called their concierge service asking only for a ticket to the sold-out gig).

Credit to Joe for doing the meet and greet thing indeed; some of the best singers out there, such as Geddy Lee of Rush and Steve Hogarth of Marillion, are so protective of their voices that they often won't even speak for hours before the gig.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:05 am

Sundet wrote:
Credit to Joe for doing the meet and greet thing indeed; some of the best singers out there, such as Geddy Lee of Rush and Steve Hogarth of Marillion, are so protective of their voices that they often won't even speak for hours before the gig.

I get that though. Joe only has to sing lead on a third of the set. Geddy and H have to sing for 2 1/2 hours straight. The Toto guys are in an unusual position in this regard, as they can always swap out a couple songs to compensate for one of the vocalists being a bit under the weather (or pass off duties to one of the background singers). I can't think of many other bands besides Chicago who can do this so easily, and I think it's one of the reasons Joe sounds so good at this stage.

Both my experiences meeting members of the band (in '05 and '06) were also very positive, all really nice and appreciative guys, especially Mike P. It's nice when an encounter with one of your favorite musicians makes you proud to be a fan...we all know this isn't always the case. :lol:
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby DracIsBack » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:07 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Footage online shows Joe killing it. If they do a XIV DVD, I would love to have some of the Fahrenheit and Isolation tunes in the mix. (ex. Could This Be Love, Til The End, Lion, Stranger in Town etc.)

I'd dig the full set. They turfed songs when they hit North America last summer that I really wanted to see.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby Ehwmatt » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:35 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Sundet wrote:I asked Joseph about the project he did with his brother in the early 90s that was never released (though songs have been cropping up on their respective solo records), but he didn't seem very interested and merely said it was never finished.

You get to talk to any other members of the band? I give Joe alot of credit for mingling with the fans. Some lead singers won't do it simply from fear of getting sick. I know MeatLoaf just announced that he is done with Meet and Greets for that exact reason (not like he has much of a voice left to save).

I did the M&G last summer. It was interesting, mostly for the soundcheck and the picture (would much rather get a pic than a silly autograph). I'm always self-conscious about coming off as a weirdo overzealous fan the few times I've met some of these guys, and I'm equally worried about finding out someone I like is a dickhead, so I usually play it safe and just say "hey" and "Great show" or "looking forward to it tonight" and move on even though there's a lot of shit I'd like to ask them. That said, the guys were all reasonably warm and friendly in my brief interaction with them.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby artinis1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:56 pm

So, any word we will get a live release from this tour?
artinis1
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:08 am

artinis1 wrote:So, any word we will get a live release from this tour?

I hope so. Although I'd love if they did something a bit different with it, maybe a special show with more new songs and deep cuts...we don't really need another live album with the 'hits,' more casual fans already have the Amsterdam or Poland releases...but I think maybe doing a smaller, fans-only show playing lots of new & deep stuff would produce a compelling product that the superfans would eat up. (And isn't that really the audience for a live album?)
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Return to Toto