Luke singing Africa and Hold The Line

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Luke singing Africa and Hold The Line

Postby TotoFan77 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:39 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90C9RLczkdQ

Surprised this was never posted before. He does a great job with Hold The Line, makes you wonder why they hired background singers to do it during the KOD and Tambu era. Luke was more than capable of singing it himself.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Re: Luke singing Africa and Hold The Line

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:02 pm

Luke is a good soulful singer, but I think he would pretty much admit that he can't pull off the Bobby or Joe high tenor stuff. Especially not on a regular touring basis.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Sundet » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:46 pm

He did sing Million Miles Away on the Tambu tour, though in a more bluesy manner (not sure if they lowered the key). Also, he did Angel Don't Cry on the Kingdom tour, though one of the backing singers covered the real high parts. In any case, he can do some of the tenor stuff for a full tour. Tellingly, he has never ever sung a Joe Williams tune though.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:27 am

Sundet wrote:Tellingly, he has never ever sung a Joe Williams tune though.

From the Joe records, I could easily hear Luke doing "Stay Away." As mentioned, Luke covered "Angel Don't Cry" which was sung by Fergie - who was higher pitched than Bubba AND Joe. Musicians like TOTO could easily re-arrange any song to suit a lower range.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:40 am

Luke did this songs because he kind of had to at the Ringo gig. I suppose he could've done "I Won't Hold You Back," but the whole vibe of the Ringo tours is to keep everything pretty upbeat, which kind of eliminates his two biggest lead vocal tracks. It feels weird, but he did a good job, and wisely pawned off the high notes to Mark Rivera, and honestly, I doubt many in the audience at those shows even realized that 'the Toto guy' wasn't actually the lead vocalist on those songs. He's a good enough singer to pull it off.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Return to Toto