Luke talks 40th anniversary and future...

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Luke talks 40th anniversary and future...

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:50 am

Anyone catch this?

Q: What can we expect from Toto in the future?

SL: I think we’re going to make it to the 40th anniversary in 2018. We’ve renewed our relationship with Sony Records, so we’re going to go back and re-master and retool some of our very early records. And we’re going to make some new music for our reboot, 40th anniversary version of past and present...

Full link below

http://whatson.ae/dubai/2016/02/steve-l ... from-toto/
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Re: Luke talks 40th anniversary and future...

Postby WalrusOct9 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:44 am

I know it's a long shot, but man, their records would sound good in 5.1 if done by the right person. That'd probably be the only thing that'd make me re-buy them (especially since I have the first 7 on minty vinyl).

Anything that involves new songs though is a good, good thing.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:00 pm

In retail stores, I see IV alot - and misc. greatest hits compilations. The rest of the catalog is very hard to come by. TOTO, as everyone knows, has been totally overlooked and mismanaged in the USA. I would pick up these remasters in a heartbeat.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:41 pm

Am I crazy? Shouldn't this be major news? Luke says TOTO will make new tunes and nobody gives a shit? Whaaaat?
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby St.George » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:53 am

You're daaaaaaaamn right! Weird to say the least... :?
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby Andrew » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:52 pm

I was told to keep a lid on it until I saw this...so now I'll ask Luke for the ok to expand on this news :)
Andrew
Administrator

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:54 am

Andrew wrote:I was told to keep a lid on it until I saw this...so now I'll ask Luke for the ok to expand on this news :)

Awesome!
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:14 am

This would be a really nice opportunity to rectify the lack of official live material featuring Jeff.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat May 07, 2016 11:37 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Anyone catch this?

Q: What can we expect from Toto in the future?

SL: I think we’re going to make it to the 40th anniversary in 2018. We’ve renewed our relationship with Sony Records, so we’re going to go back and re-master and retool some of our very early records. And we’re going to make some new music for our reboot, 40th anniversary version of past and present...

Full link below

http://whatson.ae/dubai/2016/02/steve-l ... from-toto/

I don't usually give threads a bump, but this is huge fucking TOTO news and I think it's important.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby brandonx76 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:24 pm

Pretty cool about the new music potential - on 40th absolutely -

I'm looking forward to the Montreux show as well - but would love to hear a good recording from other live eras. (Isolation, Farenheit, etc). Past to present sounds like 4 or 5 new tunes eventually. I'll take it.
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon May 09, 2016 11:29 pm

brandonx76 wrote:Pretty cool about the new music potential - on 40th absolutely -

I'm looking forward to the Montreux show as well - but would love to hear a good recording from other live eras. (Isolation, Farenheit, etc). Past to present sounds like 4 or 5 new tunes eventually. I'll take it.

Most of the bootlegs on YouTube of Fahrenheit and Isolation feature Fergie and Joe singing their ass off.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:27 am

It's been a couple months...is there any more concrete news on this?
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby brandonx76 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:31 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:It's been a couple months...is there any more concrete news on this?

Umm...the 40th anniversary is 2018 (I think) , think they have some time? :)

Band is doing shows in US in August around East Coast I think, (unfortunately not in my area), probably hear something in beginning of next year I would imagine
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:29 am

I meant in regards to releases/new songs/Sony stuff/etc. They just announced a date in Nashville, which has to be their first in decades. I get to see them without having to get on a f'ing plane first!
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby TotoFan77 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:34 am

I'm not interested in new songs.

I'm interested in the SHITLOAD of unreleased stuff that they have. Seriously, I just want a record full of unreleased Toto songs such as "I'm Mad" "Come Back To Me" etc As well the unreleased versions of songs that have been released such as the original version "All Us Boys" which Luke said was better than the Hydra version, the Bobby version of "Lion", the Steve Porcaro version of "Lea" etc
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:53 am

I'm interested in both. Horrendous sound quality aside, some of the stuff on XIV was great. No reason they can't raid the vault and continue making new music concurrently.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 10, 2016 10:10 am

TotoFan77 wrote:I'm not interested in new songs.

That's a weird thing to say.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby TotoFan77 » Tue May 10, 2016 12:18 pm

When there's a wealth of unreleased material in Toto's vault, THAT is the stuff that I want to hear which I guess in a sense would be considered new material since we haven't heard it.

I want a follow up to Toto XX, not a follow up to PTP.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 10, 2016 1:02 pm

TotoFan77 wrote:When there's a wealth of unreleased material in Toto's vault, THAT is the stuff that I want to hear which I guess in a sense would be considered new material since we haven't heard it.

I want a follow up to Toto XX, not a follow up to PTP.

As you already know, new songs like Chinatown, were re-tooled old tunes. I am thankful for whatever TOTO wants to give us. Paich was so prolific in the day and that seems to have slowed down to some extent.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby TotoFan77 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:29 pm

I wish they included the old demo with the original lyrics as a bonus track though as well.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:31 am

I'd rather hear new stuff. Most of XX after the first two tracks seemed like it was previously unreleased for a reason. I'd gladly listen to some tunes from the vault, but aside from a studio verison of "Runaway," my expectations would be fairly tempered. Paich was prolific for a time, but still wasn't exactly Springsteen or Prince as far as the quality of their unreleased tracks.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby St.George » Sat May 14, 2016 3:43 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:I'd rather hear new stuff. Most of XX after the first two tracks seemed like it was previously unreleased for a reason. I'd gladly listen to some tunes from the vault, but aside from a studio verison of "Runaway," my expectations would be fairly tempered. Paich was prolific for a time, but still wasn't exactly Springsteen or Prince as far as the quality of their unreleased tracks.

Well, obviously that's your opinion. But to me, any oldie from Paich is a f*cking gem, regardless of who sings it. For instance, to my ears "Joker's Back" or "Runaway" sound a million times better than the uninspired "Spiritual Man".
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:30 am

St.George wrote:Well, obviously that's your opinion. But to me, any oldie from Paich is a f*cking gem, regardless of who sings it. For instance, to my ears "Joker's Back" or "Runaway" sound a million times better than the uninspired "Spiritual Man".

That's one of my favorite tunes on that album. Bobby and Greg really nailed their verses and made the song. Different strokes, I guess.

I would really like a good-sounding version of "Runaway" though, for sure.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun May 15, 2016 7:40 am

I like Spiritual Man. My only issue is that Bobby has more soul and sounds better than Greg - even if Bubba is over the hill and relying on studio magic. So you go from Dave to BK to Greg and to me the energy just dips. Greg is fine, but Bobby just nails those few verses with power and precision.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby brandonx76 » Sun May 15, 2016 1:01 pm

WalrusOct9 wrote:Horrendous sound quality aside

Horrendous sound quality? XIV? I'm not understanding. Did you get the official album, or an MP3 rip? :shock:
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:09 am

brandonx76 wrote:
WalrusOct9 wrote:Horrendous sound quality aside

Horrendous sound quality? XIV? I'm not understanding. Did you get the official album, or an MP3 rip? :shock:

Here's what "Running Out Of Time" looks like. Every time the waveform hits the top and bottom, you get digital clipping/distortion. The loud parts are loud, and the quiet parts are also equally loud, so basically you sap all the dynamics out of what should be a recording with a lot of contrasts and shifts. Listening to 56 straight minutes of stuff mastered like this on headphones causes some serious ear fatigue, sometimes even actual slight pain.

By contrast, here is the original studio version of "White Sister." When the drums kick in after that piano intro, you can feel it...when the piano is made to be the same volume as the entire band, it loses it's impact.

On earbuds or generic car systems or tiny computer speakers, it doesn't matter. But on high-end gear, it's almost unlistenable. This is an industry-wide thing, but XIV really set a new bar for it, sadly. I'm still hoping one day they release a flat, pre-mastered version online somewhere for the audio nerds who care about such things. (The tracks playing on the bonus DVD documentary sound great...the audio clipping clearly was just done at the very last step)
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby ChickenStu » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:16 pm

A new greatest hits with 2 or more brand new songs is what I'm expecting we'll get for the 40th. That's fine with me! :D
ChickenStu
Ol' 78

Postby DracIsBack » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:30 am

ChickenStu wrote:A new greatest hits with 2 or more brand new songs is what I'm expecting we'll get for the 40th. That's fine with me! :D

This isn't Chicago, ChickenStu. ;-) It's Toto
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby WalrusOct9 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:09 am

So glad we live in the age where you don't have to buy an entire album of stuff you already have just to hear the 'collector bait.'
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:43 am

ChickenStu wrote:A new greatest hits with 2 or more brand new songs is what I'm expecting we'll get for the 40th. That's fine with me! :D

Maybe something like the Eagle's Hell Freezes Over. Old hits reworked (loved the Hotel California version) and a few new songs.
tj
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Toto