Steve Porcaro: "Someday/Somehow" - our reviews...

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Steve Porcaro: "Someday/Somehow" - our reviews...

Postby ChickenStu » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:17 am

So how is everyone digging Steve Porcaro's CD? I'm loving it personally. Very chilled out stuff and I'm loving that he put some unheard stuff from his late brothers on it. Really cool to hear.
That one, "Back To You" is my favourite track on it actually. One of those sorts of tunes that lifts you up whenever you hear it.
Great stuff.
ChickenStu
Ol' 78

Re: Steve Porcaro: "Someday/Somehow" - our reviews...

Postby St.George » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:58 am

The new album is just superb. From melodies to production values, arrangements, sound... everything here is full of great talent and excellence. There's NOT a single bad song in the album. But I'd like to remark a couple "not so perfect" things:

The first one is related to that new favourite song of yours, "Back to you". IMHO this song had the potential to be a KILLER... but it turned out to be like a missed opportunity. Don't misunderstood me, I really like the song. But what could have been a perfect 10, turned out to be an 8. The verse is absolutely KILLER and that hi-tech sound totally reminisces the "Isolation" period. But the way the chorus has been done is what makes me think of what could have been. IMO, the chorus needed to be more "explosive", with loads of layers of harmony vocals 'a la TOTO', in order to sound BIG, you know. But leaving it with just Steve's voice with barely no harmonies is what makes me think of it as a bit weak. To put it simple: Can you imagine a rainbow with just one colour? Well, that's what happened here.

The second thing has to deal with the song "Painting by Numbers". Again, it's not that I don't like Mabvuto's version (sung more with an R'N'B feel), but I think that Jamie's voice (more dreamy and ethereal) suits the song better. I have to admit that it could be because I was totally used (and in love) with the version presented a few years ago in the InsideMusicast program. But after having listened to both versions, I'd chose Kimmet's one anytime.

Despite all this, the album is magnificent. I hope he has left a few outtakes or unreleased leftovers for delighting us with another round.

Highlights for me: "Face of a girl", "Ready or not", "She's the one", "Makeup" and "Back to you" (thanks to the verse part ;) )
St.George
Ol' 78

Re: Steve Porcaro: "Someday/Somehow" - our reviews...

Postby ChickenStu » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:27 pm

St.George wrote:The first one is related to that new favourite song of yours, "Back to you". IMHO this song had the potential to be a KILLER... but it turned out to be like a missed opportunity. Don't misunderstood me, I really like the song. But what could have been a perfect 10, turned out to be an 8. The verse is absolutely KILLER and that hi-tech sound totally reminisces the "Isolation" period. But the way the chorus has been done is what makes me think of what could have been. IMO, the chorus needed to be more "explosive", with loads of layers of harmony vocals 'a la TOTO', in order to sound BIG, you know. But leaving it with just Steve's voice with barely no harmonies is what makes me think of it as a bit weak. To put it simple: Can you imagine a rainbow with just one colour? Well, that's what happened here.

I like it the way it is. IMO it has a kind of "understated" quality that works well for it.
ChickenStu
Ol' 78

Return to Toto