Spanish Sea

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Spanish Sea

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:12 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... erilfJQvfk

From Luke's twitter -

"Hi guys, Here is the new/old song ( re -written) called 'Spanish Sea'.
That's Paich channeling his inner Brian Wilson. Original track ( sans chorus) was recorded in 1984. New SP solo, Mine is melody as per Paich! Its all there, Lenny w/ Jeff and Mike's undeniable groove and us."

Another new classic.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Re: Spanish Sea

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:43 am

The start of the song sounds like Without your Love. I think it's Dave who starts on vocals in the first verse but then Joe takes over. Interesting blend of the voices.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby r@y » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:51 pm

Love this track. Just love the groove and vibe. I hear Lenny more than anyone in the rhythm section. Very addictive tune, this one.

I don't know, TNC....I listen closely I think it's Joe throughout the track, doing his best Paich...haha.

But I'm just wondering how did they put this track together ? How did they put in the chorus with Jeff and Mike parts ?
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby LtVanish » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:54 pm

I love this tune, great groove, so awesome to bring Jeff and Mike back, makes this ever such a classic Toto song. I can't stop listening to it, feel good track for sure!
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:15 pm

r@y wrote:Love this track. Just love the groove and vibe. I hear Lenny more than anyone in the rhythm section. Very addictive tune, this one.

I don't know, TNC....I listen closely I think it's Joe throughout the track, doing his best Paich...haha.

But I'm just wondering how did they put this track together ? How did they put in the chorus with Jeff and Mike parts ?

You are correct. That first verse (and the rest) is Joe even though it sounds a lot like Paich. Joe can be a chameleon. It took me forever to figure out he sang Lea when I first got Fahrenheit.

This song is more musically interesting than Alone. But both are gems.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby tedpruitt » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:00 am

You are correct. That first verse (and the rest) is Joe even though it sounds a lot like Paich. Joe can be a chameleon. It took me forever to figure out he sang Lea when I first got Fahrenheit.

This song is more musically interesting than Alone. But both are gems.

That's funny - I struggled with this too - and honestly came to the conclusion that Paich and Joe are doubled on the first track, simply because you can hear the doubling and it sounds so much more like Paich on the first verse, but the rest is pretty distinctively Joe.

Lea I always figured was Steve Porcaro, interesting - but you're right, Joe can manipulate his voice - which is why Porcaro let him sing It's a Feeling live.

Maybe we should Tweet Luke for clarification on Spanish Sea - would be interesting to know since so many of us fans are even having trouble distinguishing.
tedpruitt
Radio Waves

Postby Anymajordude » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:26 pm

That's Dave on the verses. Posted by Toto on Facebook:

"Dave sings lead on verses and Brian Wilson B sections, Joe lead on chorus with all of us on BG vocals."
Anymajordude
Radio Waves

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:52 am

Anymajordude wrote:That's Dave on the verses. Posted by Toto on Facebook:

"Dave sings lead on verses and Brian Wilson B sections, Joe lead on chorus with all of us on BG vocals."

Thanks. Yea, I read it. Must be archived young Paich. Other fans also comment that it sounds over-dubbed with Joe. I hear Paich most strongly in the first verse.
More Luke comments below:

Regarding Bobby having recording several Isolation tracks prior to Fergie...

"Not even a little true. He sang ONE song and it took a week to get. Lion. Thats it. If he can play you more please do. I bet you a million dollars to a penny nothing exists. WHY would we RE-record it?? It makes NO sense does it. Lies lies lies and more lies... he already fucked up releasing old jams songs he didn't write but suing him is a tired exercise. and no one wins. Stop spreading LIES!! Fuck I tire of this shit..."

On the topic of other unreleased leftover tracks...

"There are NO Treasures!! Its all used up. We fixed what was fixable. The rest was a good piece or section but the rest didn't work.. there IS a reason it was never used in the first place! The best stuff is coming in the box set. More stuff anyway... We can never please everyone.. no matter what. It is just great to hear Jeff and Mike again."

Comments on "Spanish Sea" production and box set below...

"Its Dave Verses and his inner Brian Wilson B section vocals-Joe and Me on Harmonies and Joe on lead in chorus."

"Thanks but we re-wrote the entire chorus and inserted it.. some trickery,. Just changing the bass notes but Mike and Jeff are original and my basic guitar stuff and percussion by Lenny and melody solo as per Paich were ALL from 1984. SP solo is new as are Joes vocals and the entire chorus was written this last year. Old meets new. Recorded my Al Schmitt and mixed my Bob Clearmountian."

"There are 10 new / new -old tracks in the box set , set for summer release, some from Toto IV sessions. A f=great mellow Steve P song , some surprises."
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby r@y » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:59 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Anymajordude wrote:That's Dave on the verses. Posted by Toto on Facebook:

More Luke comments below:

"There are 10 new / new -old tracks in the box set , set for summer release, some from Toto IV sessions. A f=great mellow Steve P song , some surprises."[/b]

Thanks, TNC....

THAT.....is what I'm waiting for.....
r@y
LP

Postby WalrusOct9 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:21 pm

I'm digging it, but I can see why it wasn't developed more at the time. Rhythmically has a similar feel to "Africa," and thinking about the rest of the Isolation record, they definitely were trying not to make Toto V, so I can see this being put aside in favor of more rocking tunes.

(I may be totally wrong, just my speculation from listening)

But man, it feels good to hear Jeff and Mike again, even in this strange way.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby MarcelJordan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:11 pm

There's a bit of the Desert Theme from Dune in this track. Cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDAreivSjIY

MJ
2011 New Album by Survivor - RE-ENTRY!
MarcelJordan
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:24 am

So we've heard Alone and Spanish Sea. Both are fucking great! This leaves "Struck By Lighting" on Forty Trips. From what I've read, this a Steve P. vocal. I'm expecting a cool mellow tune.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby tedpruitt » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:21 am

Wonder if they'll release it ahead of time or hold on to it until release?
tedpruitt
Radio Waves

Postby r@y » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:49 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:So we've heard Alone and Spanish Sea. Both are fucking great! This leaves "Struck By Lighting" on Forty Trips. From what I've read, this a Steve P. vocal. I'm expecting a cool mellow tune.

Apparently, not. It's harder edged Joe W track.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2018/02 ... lightning/
r@y
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:44 pm

r@y wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:So we've heard Alone and Spanish Sea. Both are fucking great! This leaves "Struck By Lighting" on Forty Trips. From what I've read, this a Steve P. vocal. I'm expecting a cool mellow tune.

Apparently, not. It's harder edged Joe W track.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2018/02 ... lightning/

I swear I read somewhere that it's a Steve P track. Glad it's a Joe-led rocker.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Return to Toto