Forty Trips - What Would You Add?

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Forty Trips - What Would You Add?

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:41 am

With a catalog as vast as TOTOs', you can never please everyone. That being said, what track(s) from the Sony years do you feel should be included on the new collection?
My picks -

I Will Remember
Drag Him to the Roof
Gift of Faith
Caught in the Balance
Cruel

EDIT: Throw Melanie on there too. Fuck it. I love that song. Underrated.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Re: Forty Trips - What Would You Add?

Postby tedpruitt » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:35 am

Those plus:
Without Your Love
Straight For The Heart
Better World

It's 40 trips around the sun - why not make it a 40 song, double-CD. Don't see that affecting sales of the box set later - that's pretty much for diehards, let's face it, but maybe that's not a thing now in the age of downloads and streaming.

But I agree, can't please everyone and I think they did the best they could to make it a single CD and still hit most of the high points for the casual listener/fan.

Actually pretty curious to see what the Wombat does with the liner notes...
tedpruitt
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:15 pm

tedpruitt wrote:Those plus:
Without Your Love
Straight For The Heart
Better World

It's 40 trips around the sun - why not make it a 40 song, double-CD. Don't see that affecting sales of the box set later - that's pretty much for diehards, let's face it, but maybe that's not a thing now in the age of downloads and streaming.

The more I think about it..."Till The End" should be on there as well.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:24 am

I don't really think you can make a good Toto compilation while confining to the outdated limits of CD running times, to be honest. If you try to do all the hits, you present the band as a sort of lite-rock, ballad heavy 80's band. If you include more rockers like "English Eyes" or "Caught In The Balance," you leave out a bunch of hits. The beauty of the band is how much ground they cover musically, the downside is you can't possibly represent it all in a compilation like that.

I'm just happy I can add some new Toto tunes to my media library though. 8)
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Return to Toto