Devil's Tower is about Close Encounters Of The Third Kind!!!

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Devil's Tower is about Close Encounters Of The Third Kind!!!

Postby TotoStu » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:49 pm

MIND BLOWN.

Just googled the lyrics. I guarantee you guys that this song is about the classic Spielberg film detailing Roy Neary's desperate mission to rendezvous with aliens at the Devils Tower national park in Wyoming!

Let's break it down...

Who tell the tale when words collide?
Where is intelligent design?

World's colliding? Well that's about the aliens visiting for a start. Truly is "world's colliding"
The question about intelligent design? Just one of many philosophical questions that an impending visit by extra terrestrials would inspire.

I live in fear and destitution
There's someone else in my reflection I don't recognize

Lives in fear and destitution? Well, Roy Neary's obsession scares his family and causes him to lose his job.
Someone in his reflection he doesn't recognise? Well, one minute he was a normal family man and now he's creating mountains out of mashed potatoes!

I followed my dream but I was blind
Now I'm looking for a second chance before I lose my mind
Find the devil's tower one more time

Following his dream but blind? Well, he was obsessed with that mountain shape - but didn't understand what it meant until he broke the top off the living room sculpture and then saw the TV news report...
Looking for a second chance? At one point he tries to save his marriage and his sanity - but by this stage Ronnie is done with him anyway.
So he's now completely committed to his quest.

And like the shaft time washes by
How many summers till I die?

This I think is just him worrying he won't have enough time.

Now I'm a man of resolution
No longer making all the same mistakes anymore

This is the point where he finally commits to find the place so he can meet the aliens.
I think the second part about him not making the same mistakes is just him referring to his former life in general. Nothing is important anymore but his quest to get to that mothership.

Come on everyone - this song has to be about that movie!

And I haven't forgotten that Joseph Williams' old man did the music for it too! :lol:

What do you reckon?
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Re: Devil's Tower is about Close Encounters Of The Third Kin

Postby Morten » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:11 pm

I think some of the lyrics as quoted here are misheard. "Like the shaft time washes by" -- that doesn't sound right. Nor does it make any sense, at least not that I can see. It's hard to make out what Luke sings here, but to my ears it sounds more like "And like a shot (or shock?) time rushes by". Also, in the chorus, it sounds to me like Joe sings "I found the dream" rather than "I followed my dream". And in the very first line, "who tell the tale" -- that's ungrammatical. It should be "who tells" -- but I can't hear any "s", so I think what Luke actually sings there is "who'll tell the tale".
Morten
Radio Waves

Postby TotoStu » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:40 am

Morten wrote:I think some of the lyrics as quoted here are misheard.

Not misheard. "Miscopiedandpastedoffalyricswebsite" is probably the best word to describe it.
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby St.George » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:13 am

Morten wrote:I think some of the lyrics as quoted here are misheard. "Like the shaft time washes by" -- that doesn't sound right. Nor does it make any sense, at least not that I can see. It's hard to make out what Luke sings here, but to my ears it sounds more like "And like a shot (or shock?) time rushes by". Also, in the chorus, it sounds to me like Joe sings "I found the dream" rather than "I followed my dream". And in the very first line, "who tell the tale" -- that's ungrammatical. It should be "who tells" -- but I can't hear any "s", so I think what Luke actually sings there is "who'll tell the tale".

Agreed completely!

These are the lyrics:

Who'd tell the tale when words can lie?
Where is intelligent design?
I live in fear and destitution
There's someone else in my reflection I don't recognize

I found the dream but I was blind
Now I'm looking for a second chance before I lose my mind
Find the devil's tower one more time

And like a shot time rushes by
How many summers till I die?
Now I'm a man of resolution
No longer making all the same mistakes anymore
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby brandonx76 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:37 am

Yeah, I totally caught the Close Encounters subject....thought that was obvious, lol. Pretty damn cool
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:19 am

I've listened to the song numerous times. My takeaway was the band being in reflective lyrical mode again and covering themes of aging and the passing of time - similar to Alone, Running Out of Time etc. "Taint Your World" from FIB is about aliens tho.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Return to Toto