I've finally got my copy of All In!

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

I've finally got my copy of All In!

Postby TotoStu » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:08 am

Yep, came earlier this week. I've listened to the live EP and the Old Is New disc. I'm particularly taken with the song "In A Little While". Be interested to hear some background on that. I've got a hunch it probably came from around the "Thriller" era. Really sounds like it could have been an MJ song. Dig that track.

As for the rest of it - I've spent the last few days listening to the whole set on a shuffle setting. I haven't listened to Toto properly for a while now so it's lovely to revisit it.

It's a real nice set to have. I'm no audiophile - but the remaster sounds damn good to me! Great time to be a Toto fan! With the 40 tours CD and Blu Ray and now this set... 2019 is a bit of a banner Toto year for me!

Although I'm not seeing them in London this month. I've already seen them twice and I don't want to get greedy. Give someone who hasn't had a chance to see them live get the ticket I would have got. Only fair.

How are the rest of you finding the set? You enjoying it?
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Re: I've finally got my copy of All In!

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:15 pm

I didn't get All In yet. I bought TOTO and Journey tickets instead.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby hgwy407 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:08 am

It's an excellent box set. I think they have done an amazing job with the remastering. I have been listening almost non-stop since it arrived. If I had to find one criticism it's that the liner notes leave a little to be desired. I would have liked to have seen more information about the material on the "Old Is New" disc, such as years or albums of origins, etc. Beyond that, I am thrilled with this set.
hgwy407
Ol' 78

Postby TotoStu » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:46 pm

Yeah, it's a nice set to have.
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby Andrew » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:37 am

hgwy407 wrote:It's an excellent box set. I think they have done an amazing job with the remastering. I have been listening almost non-stop since it arrived. If I had to find one criticism it's that the liner notes leave a little to be desired. I would have liked to have seen more information about the material on the "Old Is New" disc, such as years or albums of origins, etc. Beyond that, I am thrilled with this set.

You have the new just CD version?
Andrew
Administrator

Postby hgwy407 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:41 am

Yes I do. Picked it up day one from Amazon. There is similar feedback about the packaging on Amazon. Nothing by the way of new essays but there are thanks from Steve Lukather, Steve Porcaro, David Paich and Jospeh Williams. Still listening to this daily by the way.
hgwy407
Ol' 78

Postby hgwy407 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:53 am

Andrew, many thanks for the work you did on the liner notes and for making them available here. Outstanding.
hgwy407
Ol' 78

Postby Andrew » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:50 am

Thank you!!! Glad you enjoyed.

Free download on the front page for those not aware.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:19 pm

I was surprised to read that they re-arranged the track list on Mindfields.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby hgwy407 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:49 am

"I was surprised to read that they re-arranged the track list on Mindfields."

Also interesting KOD received the same treatment. I love the little details. I love this set and perhaps what surprises me most is how much I love Old Is New. This now sits towards the top of my favorite Toto albums. Front to back, it's now a Toto classic for me.
hgwy407
Ol' 78

Postby RonaldDupris » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:43 am

Mindfields tracklist was already changed back in 1999 for the US release.

The European tracklist has the shitty tracklist that the band didn't like but it was fixed for the North American version with Cruel being changed to the opener. This is the American 1999 tracklist.

1. Cruel
2. Caught In The Balance
3. After You've Gone
4. Mysterious Ways
5. Last Love
6. Mindfields
7. Selfish
8. No Love
9. High Price Of Hate
10. Mad About You
11. Melanie
12. One Road
13. Better World (Parts I, II & III)
14. Spanish Steps (Of Rome)

And here's the March 1999 interview where they complain about it.
http://www.toto99.com/totospeaks/interv ... 1999.shtml

But by simply moving After You're Gone and Cruel like Andrew mentioned, it makes the first half of Mindfields way too Bobby dominant and the second half is too Luke dominated. It doesn't flow right. The North American 1999 tracklist I posted is the best of all the tracklists IMO.
RonaldDupris
Radio Waves

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:23 am

RonaldDupris wrote:Mindfields tracklist was already changed back in 1999 for the US release.

The European tracklist has the shitty tracklist that the band didn't like but it was fixed for the North American version with Cruel being changed to the opener. This is the American 1999 tracklist.

1. Cruel
2. Caught In The Balance
3. After You've Gone
4. Mysterious Ways
5. Last Love
6. Mindfields
7. Selfish
8. No Love
9. High Price Of Hate
10. Mad About You
11. Melanie
12. One Road
13. Better World (Parts I, II & III)
14. Spanish Steps (Of Rome)

And here's the March 1999 interview where they complain about it.
http://www.toto99.com/totospeaks/interv ... 1999.shtml

But by simply moving After You're Gone and Cruel like Andrew mentioned, it makes the first half of Mindfields way too Bobby dominant and the second half is too Luke dominated. It doesn't flow right. The North American 1999 tracklist I posted is the best of all the tracklists IMO.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Mindfields is too long, but I love it overall.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:56 pm

Ordered the cd box set today. Looking forward to all of it - but especially Live in Tokyo and Old is New.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:00 am

Box set has arrived. Not sure where to start. Prolly Tambu and TOTO XX. Wish it had Andrew's notes, but this is still a nice set.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby LtVanish » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:34 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Box set has arrived. Not sure where to start. Prolly Tambu and TOTO XX. Wish it had Andrew's notes, but this is still a nice set.

I didn't notice to big of a difference on Tambu, I always thought that album was already one of their best mastered albums. I thought KOD sounded much better, really like the new version, along with all the earlier albums as well.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:01 pm

LtVanish wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Box set has arrived. Not sure where to start. Prolly Tambu and TOTO XX. Wish it had Andrew's notes, but this is still a nice set.

I didn't notice to big of a difference on Tambu, I always thought that album was already one of their best mastered albums. I thought KOD sounded much better, really like the new version, along with all the earlier albums as well.

Listened to Old is New, Mindfields, Tambu, XX, and Turn Back so far. Really enjoying re-discovering these albums. Turn Back is underrated.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby TotoStu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:05 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
LtVanish wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Turn Back is underrated.

Agree. That has some GREAT tunes on it. A real rocker of an album.
TotoStu
Ol' 78

Postby r@y » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:13 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
LtVanish wrote:

Listened to Old is New, Mindfields, Tambu, XX, and Turn Back so far. Really enjoying re-discovering these albums. Turn Back is underrated.

Sonically, are they as good as some say they are ? The remasters, I mean....
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby hgwy407 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:26 am

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have purchased the Toto catalogue, to include the Japanese remasters, but to my ears, these are the best masters to date. There is a depth to these I haven't heard before. There are details to many songs I have never heard before, some of those details are subtle and some were more pronounced. All said, to me it was worth the price of admission for this set.
hgwy407
Ol' 78

Return to Toto