What about US?!

This Boy Needs To Rock

Moderator: Andrew

What about US?!

Postby Ladelock » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:15 am

Thank you, Andrew, for an update on what Night Ranger is doing for their Japanese fans.

If they didn't put out any new material for THEM, we wouldn't be able to get our hands on anything new.

I would be interested in knowing how many copies of Hole have already been sold in the US when it hasn't
even been released here.

I don't feel like we count anymore.

What about US??!! :cry:
Ladelock
Radio Waves

Postby tapsmiled » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:24 am

We don't count anymore. This is the sad truth that I have accepted in the last few months. No amount of yelling, screaming, ranting, or raving is gonna make one damn bit of difference to them. They can say otherwise, but their actions, or lack thereof, have spoken volumes about them this last year. I hate to sound like the naysayer, but I believe this to be truth. Its like a bad breakup where you just sit back and ask yourself "Why??". Why has this band, so long past its commercial prime and wide acceptance, chosen to shun its few remaining fans? Yes, I know that this sounds overly dramatic, but were it not for Andrew and his updates, none of us would have known a single piece of news on this band since they "lost a friend..." way back when on their "Official" site. My daily ritual of checking this site and NR.com has become an every so often thing now becuase I have such a bad taste in my mouth from them.

All I can say is thank god for Tell Your Vision....at least this was a parting gift from them.
tapsmiled
Radio Waves

I am with you guys

Postby RockInDetroit » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:37 am

I used to be the biggest Night Ranger fan out there. All this stuff you mention is true.

It doesn't help that Night Ranger hasn't played the city of Detroit since I do not remember when. I have heard them say the money is in the fairs and rib fests. I looked at Night Ranger tour schedule for this year and Night Ranger is playing 'County' fairs not even 'State' fairs. You mean to tell me that Counties have the money. I am disappointed when I see the schedule of the bands coming to Detroit....one concert was The Alarm, Psy Furs and Naked Eyes. You mean to tell me Naked Eyes can play Detroit but Night Ranger can not. I just think the guys are really not into this any more.

I mean it will be real hard for me to even see the guys now. You got Jack, Kelly and Brad.......some guy from Winger....then some guy who is replacing the guy from Great White. To me Night Ranger was 5 guys. They are becoming kinda like KISS. I heard Gene Simmons say that his goal is to continue KISS long after he is dead. He has already replaced Ace and Peter with two guys who wear their clothes and makeup. To me it would be a sad experience seeing a partial Night Rang3r. A part of me doesn't care as long as it is Night Ranger music, but the other part of me says why do I care these three guys and two imposters don't care about Detroit or even updating their website why do I care.....maybe these guys do this now because they make music and have to make a living somewhere.

I did enjoy the new cd, so that was a positive but from here on out.....I am not sure Night Ranger exists to me. I hear a possible live 'something' from their most recent Japanese Tour...call me old fashioned but I prefer the Night Ranger I grew up with...guess I am kinda down on this guys now. I mean I see Jack and Kelly playing a show in Indiana.....about three hours from Detroit and thought....well maybe if it were Night Ranger.....but then think...why do I need to travel three hours to see them. It is also hard to sell the wife on in a day in age when we can not justify spending $100 a ticket on headliners who come to Detroit. Hey if I were 25 I would travel all over...but the music was easy to get to. Nowadays that money goes to fixing our broken garbage disposal or fixing the lawn mower....maybe buying a BBQ grill....the wives been wanting one of those. SO can you see me saying "Hi Honey, Jack and Kelly from Night Ranger are playing some show 3 hours away can I go?". It aint happening......still trying to swing a Cedar Point Trip or trip to Canada to see the farewell tour for Saga.......guess While I am not high on Night Rang3r's priorities they aren't that high on mine either. Too me it is really sad.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby tapsmiled » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:41 am

Perhaps they are just a non-factor these days. How much "new blood" has there been on any of the incarnations of a NR site? Its the same group of us that post our dissatisfaction. When was the last time when one of us said, "Wow, look...a new person contributing to one of these boards." While I might have not said much on NR.com until the last few months, I have been going there since its inception....as well as NR.net. Maybe there just aren't enough fans to justify any acknowledgement from the band.

As far as travelling to see them, I can see the lack of justification there. Truthfully, there is nothing unique about any of their shows. They are completely scripted...even the dialogue between the songs is basically the same. My old 7 Wishes video tape has most of the same dialogue as the Live in Japan releases. The last time I saw them it was just more of the same old stuff. And I know that I usually catch flack for this, but I get tired of hearing the exact same songs. Yes, I love Sister Christian and DTMYLM as much as the next fan, but it sure would be nice to hear some of their lesser played tunes occasionally. I have become so cynical towards them that I am truly disheartened. It is a long time since I ran out of a Ticketmaster ready to explode out of my skin because I got 3rd row tix to see the Big Life tour (sponsored by Prell I think). I wish I still had that same enthusiasm for them...and I wish they still cared about their fans. I mean, with this new fangled thing called the internet, its not exactly difficult to connect with one's fans, is it?
tapsmiled
Radio Waves

Postby NealIsGod » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:57 am

I love the NR lineup of JB, BG, JW, KK and AF as much as anybody, but it couldn't last forever. Nothing does.

I am looking forward to meeting Jack and Kelly at the MR Show in October and thanking them for all the great music they have given us, and are continuing to.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Ladelock » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:42 pm

I am still undecided about seeing them in Knoxville, TN Sept. 10. I won't have to travel far to see them, but given the lack of enthusiasm for their American fans, I'm just not sure I want to go.

I finally found a video of the New NR at RibFest on Youtube. They are playing Sentimental Street. Have any of you heard/seen this? I'll try to post a link or at least the addy. Watch it and tell me where the excitement, harmonies, and showmanship are that we, or at least I, expect from NR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BIUig2Cs9I

Rock, I don't blame you for not being able to justify the money for the long trip. When you have kids and a house payment, and all the expenses that go along with those you gotta prioritize. 3/5 of Night Ranger doesn't excite me enough to rearrange my priorities.

Tap, "disheartened" is just how I would describe my feelings, too. I didn't mean to come across as a whiner the other day. I just felt, and still do, that we don't count anymore.

July 4th hubby and I were at a cookout with family and friends. Hubby had on his vintage 1984 Midnight Madness concert T shirt (which he still wears on special occasions). Someone (who will probably not be dating my sister-in-law much longer) asked WHO is NR!? He wanted to know what songs they were famous for. I was flabberghasted!!!! At this point in my life I could not think of any ONE song they were famous for. I have heard ALL thier songs and with the exception of 1 (Sister Christian - I know, I know. It was their biggest hit) EACH and EVERY one of them are what they are most famous for. I feel like they are all equal. The band has always had such chemistry that they couldn't write a bad song!

It's just still hard to accept that NR as we knew it has ceased to exist.
Ladelock
Radio Waves

Postby RockInDetroit » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:22 pm

I am you ladeluck. I just watched that and I just can not get excited about seeing Night Ranger anymore. That aint Night Ranger. I see 3 guys who look like guys from Night Ranger and the other half of the stage looks like some other band. I don't see any excitement or showmanship in that video at all. Kelly looks like he is floating around the stage. Brad is going thru the motions and Jack just seems happy trying on a baseball hat different ways. Funny thing is this isn't even the Night Ranger you will see live this summer the guy from Great White is being replaced by some guy who played with Kelly on some other project. Honestly I would go see that show and I would just be thinking how great the guys were and how excited I would get when the 5 guys would come out......it is very said because not too long ago I think Night Ranger was at their best.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby tapsmiled » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:26 am

After watching that video, I am bummed for a number of reasons. First off, the harmonies are not there...at all. Second, Brad sounded sloppy as hell on that solo. The rest of my complaints might be not taken too well by the NR faithful--and believe me, I am one of you.....
Reb Beach should be singing damnit. He is an amazing singer and would probably be an immense help to the harmonies. And last, and possibly most controversial, Reb is not a rhythm guitarist. He is one of the best studio guitarists around..which is why he has appeared on innumerable projects. The guy is a virtuoso, and I hate seeing him as a guy playing only power chords. I love Jeff and Brad, but Reb could probably outplay them any day of the week and twice on Sunday. That is almost undeniable if you have ever seen him live or on video or heard him on record. Jeff, at the height of his playing, was sloppy...even on his own instructional vids. He became known for his tapping ability. Brad plays with great legato but, if it weren't for the whammy bar, he would not be considered a top guitarist. Even now, I don't know that, individually, Brad and Jeff were ever viewed by the rock community as elite players....they are probably more akin to niche players---great in tandem, excellent at gimmickery, but only better than average when compared to their counterparts. And this is coming from a died in the wool "Jeff Watson is the greatest guitar player ever" fan. Seeing this video finally made me realize that having Reb on stage is a mistake...not because of him, but because of them. God, its awfully hard to say that.

For those that question Reb----this is from his OLD instructional video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGjEaganMLk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5viKEp4n ... ed&search=

Reb live with Dokken (doing what Jeff and Brad both do...and doing it almost flawlessly):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl1pGyZagJo

and here is Jeff from 1982. I'm sure that his playing improved over time as he matured. If I could find video of his instructional vid, I would show you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjnaC1tWCUA

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to take away from Jeff or Brad in any way. As a team, they are incredible and so complimentary. But as separate entities.......eh. The video posted of the recent show only adds to my frustration and sadness. Lade---I know you weren't whining....its hard to lose a friend. I feel the same way.
tapsmiled
Radio Waves

Postby Ehwmatt » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:22 am

What was wrong with those harmonies? Sound pretty damn good to me.

Edit: The chorus before the solo sounds off, ones before that sounded good to me... I dunno.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Return to Night Ranger / Damn Yankees