Kelly Keagy Interview from CRR

This Boy Needs To Rock

Moderator: Andrew

Kelly Keagy Interview from CRR

Postby dabstudio » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:15 am

Classic Rock Revisited has a great interview with Kelly. He talks about his new solo album, the future of Night Ranger and about former guitarist Jeff Watson.

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/Int ... ykeagy.htm
dabstudio
Ol' 78

Postby RockInDetroit » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:44 pm

Nice interview thanks for the post. Yet another who thinks that what happened with Jeff sucks.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby tapsmiled » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:34 am

The obvious thing to me from that interview...the part about Jeff...was that Jeff wanted the album to have solos and Kelly and Jack didn't---hence the "Brad even recognizes that". I guess they haven't heard of bands out there that are bringing solos back into popularity, like Avenged Sevenfold for example. Anyone that listened to them and knew that there was more to NR than Sister Christian knows that they were always prominent for their dual guitars----not a drummer and bass player who split vocal duties. Yes, times have changed, but I don't believe that the band should change its identity.
tapsmiled
Radio Waves

Postby RockInDetroit » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:26 am

I liked the new cd. Yes, the sound was quite different and i could see why jeff would have problems with the drastic change. If you listen to Jeff's tracks (the last two on the cd) they sound a little more in the style of old NR. I do disagree with you in that the sound is just dual guitars...I feel it was a balanced mix of dual guitars and dual vocals.

From kelly's interview he just glossed over things. Jeff gave his explanation in a statement also. I am sure it was a mixture of reasons....read jeff's explanation too. Myself, while I like to hear what caused the problem I also just wish these guys would make up. I myself being a big Night Ranger fan, am saddened to see Night Ranger become like Styx...internal bickering and breakups. I really haven't gotten to the point where i will go see them live again. I don't want to see Jack, kelly, Brad, Mr X and Mr Y. That aint Night Ranger. Because for each member you lose you lose a piece of the band. And oddly I was ok with it when Brad, kelly and Gary were Night Ranger....I was ok with it only because I knew Jack and Jeff wanted no part of Night Ranger at the time.

I also find it ironic that Jack, Kelly, and Brad formed Night Ranger...from Rubicon and now the other two guys are out....there was a pecking order. I guess this was destined to happen. Again I don't care who is right or wrong......the band and fans suffer. You can replace Jeff and Fitz with two guys from Winger and Great White....or you can replace them from guys from the Beatles or Rolling Stones.....I don't care....it aint Night Ranger. Too me more than any other band this was a BAND. All five guys made up Night Ranger....I think sometimes people in bands crown someone king.
RockInDetroit
LP

Return to Night Ranger / Damn Yankees