Man In Motion

This Boy Needs To Rock

Moderator: Andrew

Man In Motion

Postby Deuce » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:18 am

Is this anyone's favorite Night Ranger album? I didn't think that it was mine until about a week ago when my cousin asked me if it was. My response was, "Oh, no, I just really love it." But then I got to thinking about it, and maybe it is my favorite Night Ranger album. Image

I love all of the songs on it (as I do with most of their albums). "Don't Start Thinking (I'm Alone Tonight)" is one of my very favorite Night Ranger songs. There's smokin' guitar all over the album. Something about "Woman In Love" absolutely floors me. I really love the two ballads, "Restless Kind" and "I Did It For Love."

It has contenders, that's for sure, but Man In Motion could very well be my favorite Night Ranger release.
Deuce
Ol' 78

Postby weatherman90 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:52 am

Seven Wishes is my favorite so far, although I really haven't listened to Man in Motion that much.
weatherman90
Cassette Tape

Postby sniper16 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:48 am

if i need a fix, dawn patrol is still the masterpiece
sniper16
8 Track

Postby RockInDetroit » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:50 am

Man In Motion is good. Not my favorite. I think of all their albums before the breakup Man In Motion had the most throw away songs (Right On You is horrible and I did not like Half Way to the Sun) and did not have the stand out tracks the others had. Still very pleased with it. I just remember seeing Night Ranger on the MIM tour. They were opening for kansas at a small theater of all things. I met kelly before the show. And he did seemed a little down. The band seemed to be going thru the motions. It was really sad, I sensed the end and I was right. I think some of this flowed over to that album. Again, I did like the cd.....I like those two ballads and Kiss Me Where It Hurts is a nice rocker. This album was much stronger than Neverland or Seven for sure.
Last edited by RockInDetroit on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby jrnyman28 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:29 am

I know a lot more about Fitz's situation now, but I remember the PR I heard around his departure at the time. It was reported that the band wanted to move away from the piano/keys and thought it was time to move on from Fitz. Then, the first single released of Man In Motion had a piano lead in. I think that soured me on the CD as I have never really given it a good listen...
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Deuce » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:15 am

sniper16 wrote:if i need a fix, dawn patrol is still the masterpiece

For a couple of years (I've only been a true Night Ranger fan since the summer of 2005) I thought that Midnight Madness was my favorite. Then just a couple of months ago I started thinking that it might be Dawn Patrol. Now of course I'm wondering if it's Man In Motion. I think that most of the band's albums are phenomenal. Feeding Off The Mojo and Seven are good, but they don't blow me away. Hole In The Sun grew on me, but it's still in my bottom three.
Deuce
Ol' 78

Postby Deuce » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:19 am

jrnyman28 wrote:I know a lot more about Fitz's situation now, but I remember the PR I heard around his departure at the time. It was reported that the band wanted to move away from the piano/keys and thought it was time to move on from Fitz. Then, the first single released of Man In Motion had a piano lead in. I think that soured me on the CD as I have never really given it a good listen...

Interesting, I've never heard that (then again, I was only four at the time). That seems pretty dumb, considering that keyboards were integral to Night Ranger's sound, even though they were also a hard rocking band. Also, like you touched on, keys are still quite present on Man In Motion. I wonder if it was more of an image decision.
Deuce
Ol' 78

Postby RockInDetroit » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:10 am

jrnyman28 wrote:I know a lot more about Fitz's situation now, but I remember the PR I heard around his departure at the time. It was reported that the band wanted to move away from the piano/keys and thought it was time to move on from Fitz. Then, the first single released of Man In Motion had a piano lead in. I think that soured me on the CD as I have never really given it a good listen...

You know more about the Fitz situation now, please enlighten me. I also found it strange that the reason given was Fitz did not like to tour then shortly after he was touring with Van Halen and Bruce Springsteen.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:28 am

RockInDetroit wrote:

You know more about the Fitz situation now, please enlighten me. I also found it strange that the reason given was Fitz did not like to tour then shortly after he was touring with Van Halen and Bruce Springsteen.

Actually, that is what I was referring to...that has replaced what I heard as the "official" reason why Fitz got out. But back in the day, where I lived, all I heard was that NR wanted to shed the keys.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:00 pm

Funny thing, I just put on Man In Motion and then came on to the Night Ranger forum here, and then the first thread I see is about Man In Motion.

Yes, Man In Motion is my favorite Night Ranger album.

I have all of their stuff except the CD that they just put out recently. They did actually put out a new one recently, right?
I've gotten to have several different conversations with those guys over the years. Jeff and Kelly are always really great with the fans. Brad's usually pretty cool too.

Jack Blades pissed me off once though.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Deuce » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:33 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:I have all of their stuff except the CD that they just put out recently. They did actually put out a new one recently, right?

Yeah, Hole In The Sun, you should check it out. It may take some time to grow on you, but it's a really good album. It contains some of their best guitar work ever. It's been available internationally for the past year. It's supposed to come out in the U.S. this month.

Journey/Survivor wrote:I've gotten to have several different conversations with those guys over the years. Jeff and Kelly are always really great with the fans. Brad's usually pretty cool too.

That's cool. I've never had the chance to talk to any of them. I emailed each of them a couple of times back in 2005 but never heard back from any of them. I'm sure that they were busy with their tour.

Journey/Survivor wrote:Jack Blades pissed me off once though.

What happened?
Deuce
Ol' 78

Postby RockInDetroit » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:22 am

Deuce wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:I have all of their stuff except the CD that they just put out recently. They did actually put out a new one recently, right?

Yeah, Hole In The Sun, you should check it out. It may take some time to grow on you, but it's a really good album. It contains some of their best guitar work ever. It's been available internationally for the past year. It's supposed to come out in the U.S. this month.

Journey/Survivor wrote:I've gotten to have several different conversations with those guys over the years. Jeff and Kelly are always really great with the fans. Brad's usually pretty cool too.

That's cool. I've never had the chance to talk to any of them. I emailed each of them a couple of times back in 2005 but never heard back from any of them. I'm sure that they were busy with their tour.

What happened?

All guys have been great with me...talking about the five originals. I recommend Hole in the Sun also....some like it some don't but I think it was a very strong album.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:33 am

Deuce wrote:

What happened?

Thanks for the info!

What happened with Blades was this.

I had had several conversations over the years with all of the members of the band except Jack Blades. I'm not a real big autograph hound, but I had a few things with me that I had had autographed in the past by the rest of the band, and I wanted to have Blades sign them too. All of the other members were hanging out after the show and signing autographs for people and answering questions etc, etc. But Blades seemed to be hiding from the fans. Two other guys and myself were then wating by the bus to have Blades sign a couple of things for each of us. He knew that there were 3 of us there by the buss, and he must have not wanted to sign any autographs because he told one of the security guards to tell us to go to a particular room in the back of the venue and he'd be back there to sign our autographs. So the second we started walking back to that room Blades then ran out and got on the bus and stayed in there from then on without ever signing any autographs or saying hello to any of the fans.

If he didn't want to sign any autographs then he should have had the guts to just say it without lying and sneaking on to the bus. The security guard apologized for lying to us about going back to that room, but he said that Blades told him to get us out of there before he walked out to the bus.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Deuce » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:49 am

That's too bad. I usually hear good things about him.
Deuce
Ol' 78

Postby Real rock fan » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:21 am

I always liked Man In Motion but it had a different sound.

Some great songs on there but the first 3 albums are my favourite with 7 wishes still the standout, some 20 years on.
Real rock fan
Ol' 78

Postby Ehwmatt » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:32 am

Hole in the Sun was probably the biggest disappointment of the new millennium for melodic rock for me.

Man in Motion was a great album... Restless Kind is a great uplifting song with a killer harmony guitar break and I Did it For Love is a great ballad with some tasty leads sprinkled throughout.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby domino65 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Definetely MIM it's my fave NR cd. Love all the track, my fave is Halfway to the sun. Amazing cd
The bitch bends over and i forget my name!
domino65
Radio Waves

Postby Abitaman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:59 am

Man In Motion is my least favorite Night Ranger cd. There are only 3 or 4 songs I think are ok, the rest is pretty piss poor writing from the band. Production doesn't seem that good either.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby SF-Dano » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:55 am

In order of preference:

Dawn Patrol
Seven Wishes
Midnight Madness

Then the rest. I haven't heard the new one as of yet, so it may find its way into the top three. :wink:
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby Fernando Ramirez » Sun May 24, 2009 7:33 am

I was a big RANGER fan during their heyday. I bought DAWN PATROL when it came out originally, after hearing DON'T TELL ME YOU LOVE ME on the radio I don't know how many times here in San Antonio, TX. I saw them in concert for the MIDNIGHT MADNESS tour. I saw them in concert for the SEVEN WISHES tour. I stopped being a fan when they broke up after MAN IN MOTION, and never got any of the albums afterwards when they reformed.

I remember being disappointed with MAN IN MOTION back when it first came out. A big part of what I liked about RANGER was the guitar work of both Gillis and Watson. At the time, I didn't think their playing on that album was as good as it was on the previous albums. The songs on MIM didn't grab me like the older material. I desperately WANTED to like the album, but eventually I put it away somewhere and forgot about it. I remember wanting the album to be HARDER, but instead it came out like lite-FOREIGNER, probably because it was produced by Keith Olsen. The vocals sounded good, but ... the album was missing something. I haven't heard the album since the year it was released.

Hardly anybody talks about BIG LIFE... but I thought that was a great album, with great songs. I really liked the production on it, and Gillis/Watson were still playing some awesome guitar leads. I'd like to hear this one again sometime.... haven't heard it for a LONG time... since the early 90s probably.

Their masterpiece has got to be MIDNIGHT MADNESS. Great songs all the way through. I remember my favorite song was LET HIM RUN. I used to hear that one all the time.

I bought their latest album... even after SPECIAL ORDERING it (it was only a foreign release at the time), and sold it off within two weeks. Hated it. I disliked the production, the songwriting, and the guitar playing. Compared to hearing some songs Kelly Keagy off one of his recent solo albums.... or maybe off one of the MR cds... I really liked them. I should have bought a Kelly Keagy solo-album instead of HOLE IN THE SUN!
Fernando Ramirez
45 RPM

Postby Pelata » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:10 am

Man In Motion is an absolutely cracking album!! I remember seeing it in a used bin back in 1998 or so and thinking that I'd never even heard of it...I plopped down my $3 and was blown away...not a bad song to be found.
Pelata
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:32 am

Fernando, I am with you on Big Life. Absolutely LOVE that album! Updated sound (for the time), huge energy, great songs.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Return to Night Ranger / Damn Yankees