new cd review questions

This Boy Needs To Rock

Moderator: Andrew

new cd review questions

Postby sniper16 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:01 am

i have not picked up the new cd yet
can anyone tell me if the guitars a down tuned throughout the cd
ive read andrews review, but i did not like much of the last cd because of the guitar tone.
so help me out.
sniper16
8 Track

Postby Ladelock » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:26 am

"Hole" is a little edgier than Seven was. Seven was out in 98 and I think it was the last NEW material they put out
until now.

Tell Your Vision begins with an ear piercing guitar wail and is probably the hardest rockin track on the disc.

Wrap It Up is FULL of Jeff's amazing guitar work. I bet he had that thing smokin"!

Drama Queen and White Knuckle Ride both have a lot of guitar work.

Hey, it's Night Ranger. You'll love it!
Ladelock
Radio Waves

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:37 am

Ladelock wrote:Hey, it's Night Ranger. You'll love it!

Not sure that is accurate...

but you should definately check it out. I think there is enough good to make this worthwhile as a fan. Sadly my largest complaint is Kelly's vocals...
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby RockInDetroit » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:10 am

Guitars are definitely not turned down. I loved the new cd. Like one said definitely a more edgy Night Ranger. Much more modern also. But while I normally do not like it when bands totally change sound this one worked for me. I think this cd is much better than their last two cds. I wasn't a fan of Seven at all. Although I liked some tracks off Neverland a lot, I felt overall there was a lot of weak tracks. The poster before me mentions Kelly's voice. To me, I was glad they used Kelly more on this cd....he was under utilized on the last two cds. Actaully I was a little shocked by how many Kelly vs Jack tunes on the cd.

As you can see there are a lot of different opinions about this cd.......polar opposite opinions. You'll either love it or hate it.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:05 am

RockInDetroit wrote:Guitars are definitely not turned down.

He said TUNED down not TURNED down. ;) I don't know enough about the instrument but I do know that down-tuning has been the norm for modern rock of the past decade.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Ladelock » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:05 am

Okay, sniper16, please explain what you mean by "down tuned". Cause I think I misunderstood the question also.

You kids have to explain this stuff to us older folks. :? I grew up in the 70's and 80's when we had to have a big equalizer hooked up to our stereo amp to tune the treble and bass (and everything in between) just the way we liked it.

"Down tuned" is a new one to me.
Ladelock
Radio Waves

Postby MCM » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:09 am

I would say buy it! I purchased it solely on Andrew's review and the fact I loved Night Ranger in the past and a fan of Jack Blades. It took a few listens but it's now on heavy rotation in my MP3. I would recommend.
MCM
45 RPM

Postby sniper16 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:36 pm

they call it drop tuning, where it basically sounds like a bass, very grungie, neverland and seven had similar guitar, or listen to the new scorpions cd. very good but i cant stand the guitar sound.
sniper16
8 Track

Postby RockInDetroit » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:50 am

sniper16 wrote:they call it drop tuning, where it basically sounds like a bass, very grungie, neverland and seven had similar guitar, or listen to the new scorpions cd. very good but i cant stand the guitar sound.

Might be down tuned than. I recommend listening to some samples. Night Ranger last I saw had two cuts on their Myspace page.....not necessary the best two songs so keep that in mind. Also I think you can find 30 second samples to all the songs on sites like Amazon.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Ehwmatt » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:28 am

It's pretty bad imo... I was really disappointed. There's evolving your sound, and then there's totally trying to be something you aren't. Unfortunately, NR took the latter on this effort for me.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Return to Night Ranger / Damn Yankees