Going to see the boys TONIGHT!

This Boy Needs To Rock

Moderator: Andrew

Going to see the boys TONIGHT!

Postby BBKlima » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:29 pm

First time since summer or 2010. Thought about springing for the VIP passes, but we have another couple going with us and they aren't huge Night Ranger fans like we are.

Can't wait!
BBKlima
Ol' 78

Re: Going to see the boys TONIGHT!

Postby BBKlima » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:58 pm

BBKlima wrote:First time since summer or 2010. Thought about springing for the VIP passes, but we have another couple going with us and they aren't huge Night Ranger fans like we are.

Can't wait!

Pretty disappointing show. The guys were great as always but they only played an hour and 10 minutes. It was free concert provided by GM so I think that is why. So many great songs they didn't do:

Night Ranger
Call My Name
Touch of Madness
Rumors In The Air
Sentimental Street
This Boy Needs To Rock
7 Wishes

Nothing off of Big Life, Man in Motion, Neverland, Seven or Hole In The Sun.

They opened with Lay It On Me off of Somewhere In California which was awesome.

I would rather have had Call My Name instead of Secret of My Success, Sentinmental Street instead of High Enough, Night Ranger instead of Coming of Age.

Oh and I wish they would have not done the couple of covers they did and just did a couple more songs from the list above.

And I still dream of hearing Rain Comes Crashing Down or Don't Start Thinking I'm Alone Tonight live. sigh

The crowd was terrible. Since it was a free show, on the riverwalk in downtown Detroit, there were a lot of casual or non-Night Ranger fans in general there. Most sat on their hands the entire time. They did their usual closing order with When You Close Your Eyes, Don't Tell Me You Love Me before the encore of Sister Christian and You Can Still Rock In America.

It wasn't until DTMYLM that the crowd finally stood up and got into it.

All in all I am always glad to see the best, most underrated band in history! But I was disappointed that as the headliner they only performed a super-opening set. I will be glad to pay for a full show next time.
BBKlima
Ol' 78

Postby RedWingFan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:37 am

I was there too. They played almost 90 minutes. I was on the rail right in front of Joel Hoekstra. Even caught a pick. Glad I wasn't back in the folding chairs with all the lame people. Had fun...ears are still ringing though.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby BBKlima » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:29 pm

RedWingFan wrote:I was there too. They played almost 90 minutes. I was on the rail right in front of Joel Hoekstra. Even caught a pick. Glad I wasn't back in the folding chairs with all the lame people. Had fun...ears are still ringing though.

Not sure you timed it right. They didn't go on until 9:10pm. and were done well before 10:30pm. I think it was closer to 70 minutes than 90 minutes.
BBKlima
Ol' 78

Postby RockInDetroit » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:40 am

It was a 70 minute set. I was thinking they would play longer also. They were the headliner. And it was the same set that they always play (past three years) with the exception of Good-Bye instead of Sentimental Street. As a hardcore fan they really need to spice the show up a little. I do think the Greatest Hits need to be played, but thrown in some nuggets for the hardcore fans. They know they get a big reaction from the newbies on the Damn Yankee songs and the Ozzy song. One thing that really annoys me is when frontmen like Jack say - "We are going to play all night long for you". An hour and ten minutes???? If you say that you have to at least play close to 2 hours.

As for the crowd. You should of sprang for the VIP seats. They were only $30 and you get an all you can eat buffet with that. Up front everyone was into it the entire show. If the crowd was dead, I did not see it from where I was at. We stood the entire show. You gotta keep in mind these people that bring lawn chairs will usually do that at these shows.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby RockInDetroit » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:39 pm

[/quote]

Nothing off of Big Life, Man in Motion, Neverland, Seven or Hole In The Sun.

I would rather have had Call My Name instead of Secret of My Success, Sentinmental Street instead of High Enough, Night Ranger instead of Coming of Age.

[/quote]

One thing though, Secret of My Success is off Big Life. You say you wanted to hear Big Life but then say you wish they played Call My Name instead of Secret of My Success. heh?!?!? Not me. Call My Name is one of those songs that can not figure out if it wants to be a ballad or rocker. A very long song too. It used to drag down the shows when they did it and with all the ballads they have released it makes no sense to leave one out that was a hit for this song.

Personally I think they need to play Secret of My Success....they needed to play all the hits. What they also needed to do is cut out all the covers........or play longer shows. Sentimental Street should be in the setlist over High Enough. But what happened on this show is Night Ranger played Goodbye instead of Sentimental Street. They have not played Goodbye in any show I have been to in years. I was happy to hear Goodbye again.

They cut out about two rockers from this set. Usually Rumors In THe Air and Touch of Madness are played.

I agree with you 1 hour and 10 minutes is just not enough. Free show or not. I can not remember the last time Night Ranger played a show where they charged money anyways. Actually I take that back, the last two times I saw Night Ranger I paid to sit in the VIP section, so the shows were not really free shows.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby BBKlima » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:05 pm

You're right of course, SOMS is off of Big Life. But I hate that song. I really think that song did in their career. And admittedly I love Call My Name so I would have them play it every time I see them! I didn't realize they cut Goodbye. This was the first time I saw them since 2010, and they played Goodbye that night. That was a free show but I did spring for VIP (in Waterford, MI).

WOuld have got VIP seats for this show if it was just me and the wife, but another couple was going with us. To classify them as casual Night Ranger fans wouldn't even capture how little they even knew about the band. LOL So I couldn't really ask them to pay $60. Next time I will be VIP.
BBKlima
Ol' 78

Postby RockInDetroit » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:06 am

BBKlima wrote:You're right of course, SOMS is off of Big Life. But I hate that song. I really think that song did in their career. And admittedly I love Call My Name so I would have them play it every time I see them! I didn't realize they cut Goodbye. This was the first time I saw them since 2010, and they played Goodbye that night. That was a free show but I did spring for VIP (in Waterford, MI).

WOuld have got VIP seats for this show if it was just me and the wife, but another couple was going with us. To classify them as casual Night Ranger fans wouldn't even capture how little they even knew about the band. LOL So I couldn't really ask them to pay $60. Next time I will be VIP.

I work at the Ren Cen and knew when the Sound Check was going on so I stopped by and chatted with Brad, Jack and Eric. They play so many shows and have easy access. I really have met them all (except Joel) a few times no need for VIP. VIP is tough because unless you go by yourself how do you get everyone you are with to also go along with the VIP.

I like SOMS. Catchy and goes over well in concert. Good-bye replaced Sentimental Street for this show. Can only have so many ballads in a setlist. THat is why I don't think they will ever play Call My Name again. I did see them perform it a few times in the 80's. It is on a couple of the VHS tapes made, which you can find on EBAY converted to DVD. It looks like greatest hits shows from here on out as they either headline festivals or open up for bands like Journey these days and play shorter sets at those shows.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby BBKlima » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:07 am

Nah, when I've made my millions I am going to hire them to play private shows for me and my friends. Then pay extra to pick the setlist. I might even spring to have them bring the all original lineup back for the shows. LOL
BBKlima
Ol' 78

Return to Night Ranger / Damn Yankees