Saw Night Ranger last night...

This Boy Needs To Rock

Moderator: Andrew

Saw Night Ranger last night...

Postby TageRyche » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:05 pm

I saw Night Ranger at the Zeiterion Theater in New Bedford, MA last night. They had a local artist opening up for them. She was okay but I wasn't familiar with her so I really couldn't get totally into the performance.

As for Night Ranger, they were outstanding. I had 2nd row seats so at times I was about 5 feet away from some of the band members. It was a highly energetic performance. While the crowd was highly appreciative, they didn't get off their asses until the encore so that was a bit disappointing.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Re: Saw Night Ranger last night...

Postby TageRyche » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:02 am

My official review of the show can now be seen via this KNAC.com link.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby BBKlima » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:34 am

Mostly agree with your review, except I think they should replace Secret of My Success with a different song. Maybe Interstate Love Affair since that was also on a movie soundtrack!

Never cared that much for SOMS. Has David Foster's fingerprints all over it.
BBKlima
Ol' 78

Postby TageRyche » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback BBKlima.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby RockInDetroit » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:50 pm

Secret of My Success is good. Saw them in Traverse City and they did not play it. Played same set list minus SOMS.

I do think they need to spice it up some. I would like to see the Crazy Train thing gone. Although I see the crowd seems to like it....probably not the strong Night Ranger fans in the audience. I'd also like to see High Enough gone. Leave the ballads to Night Ranger ballads. In addition I think Touch of Madness or Eddie's Coming Out Tonight can be replaced. Both have been played for years. So right there they can have 3 different songs in the set...two rockers and one ballad.

When I say spice it up I mean add something in there for their bigger fans. Night Ranger is playing in Detroit tonight and I saw them a couple weeks ago in Northern Michigan and even though the show is free.....I will probably skip it. I know exactly when they will play....I know exactly what Jack will say. There shows have been good for the casual fan, but for the diehards they need to make a few adjustments. I understand, have to play the hits. I myself want to hear the hits, but also need something different too. Nice to hear High Road, but one song is not enough cuz everything is exactly the same....for years.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby TageRyche » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:00 am

I would LOVE for them to add "The Mountain Song" to the set list.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby BBKlima » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:39 am

RockInDetroit wrote:Secret of My Success is good. Saw them in Traverse City and they did not play it. Played same set list minus SOMS.

I do think they need to spice it up some. I would like to see the Crazy Train thing gone. Although I see the crowd seems to like it....probably not the strong Night Ranger fans in the audience. I'd also like to see High Enough gone. Leave the ballads to Night Ranger ballads. In addition I think Touch of Madness or Eddie's Coming Out Tonight can be replaced. Both have been played for years. So right there they can have 3 different songs in the set...two rockers and one ballad.

When I say spice it up I mean add something in there for their bigger fans. Night Ranger is playing in Detroit tonight and I saw them a couple weeks ago in Northern Michigan and even though the show is free.....I will probably skip it. I know exactly when they will play....I know exactly what Jack will say. There shows have been good for the casual fan, but for the diehards they need to make a few adjustments. I understand, have to play the hits. I myself want to hear the hits, but also need something different too. Nice to hear High Road, but one song is not enough cuz everything is exactly the same....for years.

I didn't see them at Arts, Beats, and Eats either Rock. For one, I was at the MSU game in East Lansing. But bigger than that, I hate seeing them as an opening act. I would love to see them headline again at smaller venues. Some of the best shows were when I saw them at Clio Ampitheater and Royal Oak Theatre in the late 90s, early 2000s. Last time I saw them do a full 2 hour set was in Waterford in 2010.

I wouldn't want ot lose TOM or ECOT from the set, but if it meant other songs like Night Ranger and Don't Start Thinking I'm ALone Tonight or even the newer stuff then I would be for it. Lose SOMS though. Please!
BBKlima
Ol' 78

Postby RockInDetroit » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:49 am

I was at Arts, Beats and Eats. They played the exact same show as Traverse City minus Good-bye. Then I hear they played Toledo and played the exact same show as ABE but skipped Sentimental Street and Crazy Train. Glad I did not go to that one.

As a long time fan of NR (Seen them since Midnight Madness and so many times I lost count) they need to change something up for the diehards. The shows are great for the casual fans, but honestly I am done for a while - songs are the same and dialog is the same. Yes, they should play the hits, but how many times do we have to hear Touch of Madness, Eddie is Comin Out, and High Enough? There has got to be other songs that they can rotate in and out.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Abitaman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:16 am

TageRyche wrote: While the crowd was highly appreciative, they didn't get off their asses until the encore so that was a bit disappointing.

I have seen this at a lot of concerts lately. People go to a rock show and sit there, what the crap. I have seen this more at a concert with an older crowd, but come on. I have seen this Styx, NR, Journey, Dennis DeYoung, Heck the list could keep going. You want to rock at a rock concert, so get up off your lazy butts and rock.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby TageRyche » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:12 am

Abitaman wrote:I have seen this at a lot of concerts lately. People go to a rock show and sit there, what the crap. I have seen this more at a concert with an older crowd, but come on. I have seen this Styx, NR, Journey, Dennis DeYoung, Heck the list could keep going. You want to rock at a rock concert, so get up off your lazy butts and rock.

I agree, that's why I wrote about it in the review.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:41 am

Night Ranger are bad ass. They are the best band in America currently. Their material from their last two records are the best of the career. I'm happy to travel to see them (and have) because they are bad ass and the best band rolling through the states. They are killer, have great energy, have their original vocalists, and have the best guitarist in the game in Brad Gillis.

With all that said, here are a few tidbits for improvement:
1. drop cover songs and go back to your original material that is way better
2. hit more of the new material, you last two records are better than the best of the hits timing, GD play some of the new stuff that is way better than the old stuff
3. Quit opening for bands that should be holding your ball sack - GD guys, look at your relative performance, grow a ball sack, and tell the queers singing Styx songs that your stuff carries the day, BECAUSE IT DOES!

Quit being pussies, drop the faggo "head liners" and make your own way. We're waiting on it!

Night Ranger ROCKS!
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby RockInDetroit » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:01 am

I have taken a break from Night Ranger shows. Other than the fact that they switch out the Watson and Fitz positions every 5 years the shows are the exact same show over and over again. I am tired of it. Jack even says the same stories. The shows are good for the newbies, but any diehard fan would get tired of this. Why do we still get Crazy Train and Schools Out? Neither Gillis or Kelli even played on the originals and I am tired of it. That would be one easy way to change the set up some. Throw in some other lesser know songs, new songs or even different covers. I personally could do with out High Enough also. I am ok with Coming of Age. One Damn Yankee song is good and I always felt that song seemed very Night Ranger. The band songs great live though, just repetitive.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Aaron » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Man you are right on. This is what I was trying to get at as well. Play more new stuff and hit the better old stuff. Penny would be a good addition to the set list. I would drop all of the covers and plug in more new and old gems not in the set list.

RockInDetroit wrote:I have taken a break from Night Ranger shows. Other than the fact that they switch out the Watson and Fitz positions every 5 years the shows are the exact same show over and over again. I am tired of it. Jack even says the same stories. The shows are good for the newbies, but any diehard fan would get tired of this. Why do we still get Crazy Train and Schools Out? Neither Gillis or Kelli even played on the originals and I am tired of it. That would be one easy way to change the set up some. Throw in some other lesser know songs, new songs or even different covers. I personally could do with out High Enough also. I am ok with Coming of Age. One Damn Yankee song is good and I always felt that song seemed very Night Ranger. The band songs great live though, just repetitive.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Return to Night Ranger / Damn Yankees