Bruce Springsteen-Seattle, WA-Saturday, March 29, 2008

Your chance to add a review for any live show you have just seen - stadium, festival show, club gig or special event.

Moderator: Andrew

Bruce Springsteen-Seattle, WA-Saturday, March 29, 2008

Postby M. J. Perry » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:05 pm

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Key Arena – Seattle, WA
Saturday, March 29, 2008

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band performed Saturday night a very powerful, fast-paced, fun-fill two and one-half hour set to a packed ready to have fun, rock, and let loose crowd.

The Boss walked on stage and began playing “Trapped” and from there went right into “Radio Nowhere”, “No Surrender” which was the only song from his Born in the U.S.A. album, and dueling guitar leads between Bruce and Stevie Van Zandt on “Lonesome Day.”

Songs which dotted the set were “Point Blank” from The River, “Reason to Believe” from Nebraska, “She’s the One” from Born to Run, and “The Rising.”

About a third of set he played songs from his newest album Magic. “Gypsy Biker which was performed as an acoustic and violin version, “Magic”, Livin’ In the Future”, “Devil’s Arcade”, and the controversial anti-war song “Last to Die” performed with strong passion by Bruce.

Clarence Clemons performed a soulful sax solo on “Because the Night” with Nils Lofgren strong lead guitar performance during the song.

The show ended with “Long Walk Home” from Magic and “Badlands” from The Darkness on the Edge of Town with the band taking their bows before exiting the stage.

The band came out for an encore and Bruce asked for a sign that a fan had with 10th Ave. please!! Bruce delivered by performing “Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out” and as the song was ending he was able to get another sign from another fan which Bruce showed the band first before placing the sign at the bottom of the microphone stand which had ROSALITA and wouldn’t you know, the band went right into “Rosalita” and the crowd just erupted.

Everybody knew The Boss was going to perform “Born to Run” and he did not disappoint. During the song all the house lights came on and it was amazing watching all the fans just dancing and singing along with the song. Yes I was dancing and singing along with everybody else.

The show ended with a song called “The American Dream” which to me had an Irish-folk-bluegrass-rock feel. One could say this song was one of those beer drinking, sitting around the campfire, feel good, fun songs.

Some highlights for me on for this show were with the opening song “Trapped.” This song was first released in 1985 when it was on the We Are the World album which I didn’t buy. I do remember hearing it on the radio for awhile and I thought it was a great song and I couldn’t find it on any of Bruce’s releases at that time. When Bruce Springsteen Essentials was release a few years ago and I noticed this song was on it, I was one happy music fan. I was hoping this song would be played during the set but I didn’t expect for it to be the first song to be played. This was biggest highlight of the show for me which still brings chills down my spine.

Another song was “Because the Night” which was originally on his live album set release back in the mid-80’s. This song was co-written with Patty Smith back in the 70’s. In fact Patty Smith recorded this song which can be found on her Easter album. I loved the saxophone and guitar solos on this song along with the emotion Bruce put into the song.

The anti-war song “Last to Die” which Clear Channel head honchos refuse to have this song played on their radio stations much less any other song off of Magic, was performed phenomenal. Strong passion from the vocals to the music had me mesmerized.

And of course the crowd favorite “Born to Run” with the entire house lights on during the whole song. That was just amazing. Everybody was just having a grand ole time rocking to this song. This is one of those feel good songs that after all these years it still brings a good feeling for me.

The song selection was very good and Bruce pretty much touched on various parts of his musical career. All in all, it was a great show that had me wanting more but feeling very satisfied and my voice pretty much shot when leaving Key Arena.

For someone who’s 58 years old, Bruce can put quite a few of the younger bands to shame with the type of performance he gives every night.
"Smile and have a nice day!!"
M. J. Perry
Ol' 78

Postby Moon Beam » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:14 am

Thanks for the review M.J Perry enjoyable reading it was.
Trapped is one of my fave Bruce Springsteen songs.
http://moonbeamsmindgrounds.blogspot.com/
Good, Bad Or Ugly, Live It, Love It Or Leave It.
Moon Beam
Digital Audio Tape

Return to Gig Reviews