Foreigner Ashburn, VA 6/1/08

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Foreigner Ashburn, VA 6/1/08

Postby journeyman8484 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:19 am

Saw Foreigner last night at the Loudoun Summer Music Fest in Ashburn,VA (in the Washington DC area). I have been trying to go to a Foreigner show for years but every time something always came up. But last night I finally got to see them and it was well worth the wait. One of the best shows I have ever been to.

Got there at around 6. Show was supposed to start at 6:15 but after they were introduced, for some reason the opening act continued to setup and soundcheck. But at around 6:30, they finally started.Opening act was a local band from Northern Virginia called The Blackjacks, and they play bluesy roots rock a la the Stones, Tom Petty. They did 7 or 8 originals plus a cover of Petty's "American Girl". Good musicians and high energy but the songs weren't all that memorable. The mix was also off for the 1st couple songs, this was the only band I've seen where I was wishing to hear less of the singer. But they got it together after that and still managed to put on a decent opening set.

At around 7:45 Foreigner took the stage. Since their recent live DVD "Alive & Rockin" starts with "Double Vision" I expected them to open with that but instead they opened with "Night Life" from the 4 album and surprisingly didn't even play "Double Vision" at all. But aside from that they played most of their big hits along with a new song from their upcoming album. If you have never seen Foreigner with this lineup, make it one of your must see shows next time they come around. The new lineup is every bit as good as the original. Lou Gramm can barely sing at all anymore, whereas Kelly Hansen hits all the notes and sounds just like Lou in his prime. Mick Jones hasn't lost a bit of his touch and took the lead on "Starrider". Longtime keyboardist Jeff Jacobs quit the band recently but newcomer Michael Bluestien does a damn good job filling the role. Longtime sax player/rhythm guitarist Thom Gimbel played his trademark killer sax solos on "Urgent" and "Long Long Way From Home". Dokken cofounder Jeff Pilson and Jason Bonham of course make up the rhythm section, Jeff has a very high energy stage presence and Jason is a monster on the kit. One of the only drummers I can imagine filling the shoes of his dad. His solo before "Jukebox Hero" was one of the best I've ever heard. The mix was also one of the best I've ever heard, it was the perfect volume and every note was perfectly clear.

Setlist:
Night Life
Head Games
Cold As Ice
Blue Morning,Blue Day
Waiting For A Girl Like You
Too Late (new song)
Dirty White Boy
Say You Will (acoustic version, better then the original album version)
Starrider
Feels Like The First Time
Urgent
Jukebox Hero/Whole Lotta Love
Encore:
Long, Long Way From Home
I Want To Know What Love Is
Hot Blooded

One of the best shows I've ever been to. I definitely would see Foreigner again.
journeyman8484
Radio Waves

Postby Moon Beam » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:57 pm

Thanks for posting your review journeyman8484, glad you were finally able to see them.
I'm hoping to catch em around here in Aug.
http://moonbeamsmindgrounds.blogspot.com/
Good, Bad Or Ugly, Live It, Love It Or Leave It.
Moon Beam
Digital Audio Tape

Postby journeyman8484 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:57 pm

Definitely go if you can, one of the best shows you could spend your money on.
journeyman8484
Radio Waves

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara