Steely Dan - Clarkston, MI 8-15-08

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Steely Dan - Clarkston, MI 8-15-08

Postby Squidward24 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:13 pm

Steely Dan wsg Joey Defrancesco Trio
DTE Energy Music Theatre
August 15, 2008

My first time seeing "The Dan" in concert. Actually it was the first time for me, my friend and her two kids. IT was only the kids' second concert, the first was T.S.O. last year and the third coming up in October will be The Who.

We arrived about one hour before the show was to begin and found a good place to sit on the hill. As is custom during any concert we search for the "badly dancing white man" and boy did we find a few. There was a lady with "very good hip control" as my friend put it dancing along as well.

The show started with the Joey Defrancesco Trio, a drummer and two keyboard players, one of which was Joey. They played about 30 minutes, all instrumental music. The crowd was very much into what they were playing. Joey is pretty darn good on the organ, which at time sounded like a B3 (but it was not). When Joey walked out on stage I yelled "Holy crap it's Tony Soprano!!" a few people around me that could hear me laughed. He is not a skinny man, and not HUGE, but he is a large man. He had on a shirt that Tony might wear and when he spoke (which wasn't often) he had a Jersey-esqe accent.

Being a first time Dan concert goer, I didn't really know what to expect. I've read reviews and seen setlists from past concerts and they have a tendency to change the set around and sometimes ignore their "hits". A few sets I saw from this tour looked like I might get to hear some of those hits, well as I found out later that was not to be. The songs they did play were very good and good enough to make me forget what I didn't hear. Others around me were not so forgiving.

The band was in top form and while Donald's voice has lost some of it's power (at least when compared to bootlegs I have) he was still very entertaining to listen to. They seemed to spotlight every member of the band once during each song with a little extended jam/bit. It was Joey Defrancesco's last date on the tour they brought him on stage to play on "Black Friday". When the song was over and after he was introduced to the crowd (again) both Donald and Walter walked over to him, shook his hand and said a few words to him. Very classy and not something that seems to be done much now.

We had about a 2 hour drive to get home so we left in the middle of "Kid Charlemange". Even though I didn't get to hear some of the "hits" (Do It Again, Dirty Work, Reelin' In the Years, Rikki Don't Lose That Number and Deacon Blues) I had a good time, enough of a good time that if and when they tour again I will go and enjoy it just as much, if not more.

Everyone's Gone To The Movies
The Fez
Royal Scam
I Got The News
Show Biz Kids
Bodhistavva
Two Against Nature
Hey Nineteen
Godwhacker
Babylon Sisters
New Frontier
Guacho