Foghat/Marshall Tucker Band; Cooper River Park 7/4/09

Your chance to add a review for any live show you have just seen - stadium, festival show, club gig or special event.

Moderator: Andrew

Foghat/Marshall Tucker Band; Cooper River Park 7/4/09

Postby jimmy19029 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:42 am

Foghat/Marshall Tucker Band; Cooper River Park Pennsauken, NJ 7/4/09

The 9th Annual Let Freedom Rock Fest sponsored by 102.9 WMGK in Philly. I've been to a few of these and was glad this year brought great weather rather than sweltering temps or storms(like we got here two years ago for Kansas).

Marshall Tucker Band was out first at 7 for an hour show. It's a sad time for them as lead singer Doug Gray tragically lost his wife a few weeks ago. And Doug has been having voice troubles now for several years at least. He struggled through "This Ol' Cowboy" and attempted to sing "Can't You See" before giving up and holding the microphone out to the audience saying, "This is your song". New flute/sax player Marcus James Henderson did an awesome job on "Take the Highway" and new guitarist Rick Willis is not only a fine guitarist but a great singer himself. He took the lead on "Midnight Promises" and "Can't You See" along with fellow guitar man Stuart Swanlund.

Doug seemed a bit out of it and worse for wear(Totally understandable!). Some of his between songs patter were a bit incoherent and confusing and many people who don't know the history of the band were wondering who he was and not aware of what had just happened. Not sure what the future is for Doug and the band. Maybe he should just stay on as M.C. and do backup vocals, as he was mostly doing this evening.
Overall a bit of a short and disappointing set by MTB.

Now Foghat! TOTALLY DIFFERENT STORY! They came outta the gate molten hot and didn't disappoint. The band has had their own share of heartache and loss over the last decade as two original members have passed on, lead singer Lonesome Dave Peverett(who succumbed to cancer in February 2000) and original lead guitarist Rod Price(who fell down some stairs at his home after a heart attack four years ago).

I hadn't seen these guys in eleven years since they don't play near Philly that much anymore. It was my first time seeing new singer Charlie Huhn. I first saw this Motor City powerhouse singing with Ted Nugent in 1978 and he also did a 12 year stint in Humble Pie 1988-2000. And the guy still has one helluva set of pipes!
Great to hear them open with "Ride Ride Ride", the very first song I ever heard by Foghat when a buddy of mine brought one of their albums over to my house for a party back when we were in high school.

Bryan Bassett(formerly of Wild Cherry & Molly Hatchet) played some string bending slide guitar on "Drivin' Wheel" and their 1979 hit Third Time Lucky(The First Time I Was a Fool), blew some fine harmonica notes and even gave us a little tease of his big Wild Cherry hit, "Play That Funky Music, White Boy".

The finale, "Slow Ride" was dedicated to our fighting forces overseas.

Marshall Tucker Band lineup:

Doug Gray-vocals
Stuart Swanlund-vocals, guitars
Rick Willis-vocals, guitars
Marcus James Henderson-vocals, flute, sax, keyboards
Barry 'BB' Borden-drums, percussion
Pat Elwood-vocals, bass

Foghat lineup:

Roger Earl-drums, percussion
Craig McGregor-bass, backing vocals
Charlie Huhn-vocals, guitar
Bryan Bassett-guitars, harmonica, backing vocals

Marshall Tucker Band Setlist:

Running Like The Wind
Take The Highway
This Ol' Cowboy
Midnight Promises
Can't You See

Foghat Setlist:

Ride, Ride, Ride
My Babe
Drivin' Wheel
Third Time Lucky (The First Time I Was A Fool)
Chateau Lafitte '59 Boogie
Fool For The City
I Just Want To Make Love To You
Slow Ride
jimmy19029
LP

Return to Gig Reviews