Richie Kotzen - Bristol & Manchester

Your chance to add a review for any live show you have just seen - stadium, festival show, club gig or special event.

Moderator: Andrew

Richie Kotzen - Bristol & Manchester

Postby Uncle heFTy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:31 am

I have listened to RK on CD and, almost, got to work with him on his tours (a long story) and went to see him at 'Fiddlers' in Bristol. A very unprepossesing venue in a converted industrial unit on a back-street, I'd been there once before some 7 years ago - it hadn't change much; smarter, same small stage, bigger PA, but this time I had gone to see an artiste of whom I knew little, except that he was good.

I wasn't prepared for just how good! All I can say is that RK's light has been well and truly hidden under a bushel. It was a shame that the sound engineer didn't treat his vocals more sympathetically, but for a trio the gig was simply wonderful. So much so that I'm hoping to get to see him in Manchester next week. If you are in the UK and can get to see one of his gigs, I strongly recommend it.

Uncle H
Uncle heFTy
Ol' 78

Postby Uncle heFTy » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:28 pm

Just as a week ago I posted about the Richie Kotzen gig in \Fiddlers', I went to Manchester's 'Club Academy' to see Richie perform once more. I was not disappointed, despite having to rush off.

Supported by a Swindon band 'Fry' who were very good indeed (also a trio), Richie's sound was much, much better - no doubt driven by a good local engineer and the acoustics of the room. I bought his album 'Peace Sign' and would commend it to all here, wonderful vocals atop some astounding guitar work. I asked the promoters (FaBluSis from Swindon) if they had approached 'Firefest' and, sadly, they hadn't. Perhaps Firefest 2010 might be a target.

Richie's vocals have a touch of Andy Fairweather-Lowe and, occasionally, Stevie Wonder, he has a great range slightly anodyne but great to listen to.

I look forward to his return next year.

Uncle H
Uncle heFTy
Ol' 78

Return to Gig Reviews