Danny Vaughn 05/12/2010

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Danny Vaughn 05/12/2010

Postby Rockingbear » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:36 am

Danny Vaughn

Sheffield Corporation – Saturday 5th December 2010

I fortunately managed to make my way into Sheffield following a small respite in the bad weather. The wife, as usual, thought I was completely mad!

One thing that is not in question is that Danny Vaughn possesses one of the most powerful and versatile voices in rock. This small tour, titled “Aspirations & Inspirations” was to highlight the best of Danny’s solo work and also to pay homage to some of his favourite artists.

“Footstompin’ Music” was not the greatest of set openers, however, it was quickly followed by my favourite track from Danny’s solo albums, the powerful hard blues-rock of “Bad Water”.

The first cover of the evening was a great rendition of “Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy”. I am really looking forward to Mr. Big’s comeback album in the New Year.

Not surprisingly we were treated to a Beatles cover by way of “Magical, Mystery Tour”. I am not that particularly enamoured with the original and this version did little to change my mind.

“Shadowland” is another strong solo track taken from arguably Danny’s best solo album, “Soldiers & Sailors From The Riverside”.

Danny’s first ever concert was Stevie Wonder at New York’s Maddison Square Gardens thus the cover of “You Haven’t Done Nothing”. He realised that it would not be everyone’s cup of tea but it was quite an enjoyable interpretation.

Danny articulated his love of the great British bands especially those where the acoustic guitar could be utilised. Subsequently we were treated to performances of Zeppelin’s “Gallows’ Pole” and The Who’s “Behind Blue Eyes”. The latter, one of my favourite Who tracks, was particularly enjoyable.

The next two covers really highlighted Danny’s powerful voice: a rip-roaring race through Blackfoot’s “Train, Train” and a breathtaking take on the late, great Ronnie James Dio’s “Don’t Talk To Strangers”.

Perhaps the surprise of the evening was no Eagles song as Danny is part of The Ultimate Eagles (formerly The Illegal Eagles) as were most of his backing band.

The main set was brought to a close with “Fearless” and “The Voice”.

No surprises for the encore, the Tyketto classic “Forever Young” which was obvious, by the 120-150 strong audience’s reaction, the song of the evening.
Rockingbear
Ol' 78

Return to Earmuffs For The Blind