Night Ranger - O2 Academy London 24 June 2011

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Night Ranger - O2 Academy London 24 June 2011

Postby Real rock fan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:41 am

What an fantastic evening, Airrace opened up with an excellent 30 minute ish set, cut short by the late arrival of Night Ranger who had difficulties with customs.

Night Ranger came on and opened with Rock N` Roll Tonite, the sound was excellent, you could clearly hear the vocals, guitars etc.
A really nice small venue with a great view from pretty much all angles, we had the good fortune of being at the front directly in front of Joel Hoekstra.
Everyone played their socks off and really enjoyed themselves.

They played four new songs off the outstanding new album, they all sounded great live, even The Secret Of My Success which I didn`t want them to play was excellent.

The dual guitar playing was superb, they were loving it and so was the very grateful (after 26 years absence from the UK) crowd.

My standout songs for the evening were highlighted below.

First time I`d seen them live and it was one of the best concerts I`ve been to in 31 years and that includes a lot of great bands.

1.Rock N' Roll Tonite
2.Touch Of Madness
3.Sing Me Away
4.Growin' Up In California
5.The Secret Of My Success
7.Sentimental Street
8.Eddie's Comin' Out Tonight
9.L.A. No Name

10.Goodbye
11.Lay It On Me
12.Coming Of Age
13.Four In The Morning
14.When You Close Your Eyes
15.Don't Tell Me You Love Me

Encore
16.No Time To Lose Ya
17.Sister Christian
18.(You Can Still) Rock in America
Real rock fan
Ol' 78

Postby Rockingbear » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:19 am

Sounds like a great show. I have friends that also went but have not had the opportunity to speak to them about the evening.

I was devastated when they announced the date for the show as I had already pre-booked to go on holiday. I have been a Night Ranger fan since my early teens and they are one of the few bands left that I have not seen live. My oldest friend whom I went to school with scored a couple of tickets and I am sure one was for my good self until he heard my holiday plans!

The last time that Night Ranger played the UK they supported Foreigner on the "Agent Provocateur" tour but only in London and we saw them in Birmingham! To say that we were disappointed when Terraplane took the stage would be a minor understatment!

I did see Joel Hoekstra last year in New York as he was part of the band on the Broadway Musical "Rock Of Ages" but that is the closest I have come to seeing the mighty Night Ranger. Did they hint that they might return to these shores, maybe for a full tour including some dates up North!

Sounded like a great set list including the Damn Yankess track. I was interested to read that you did not want them to play "The Secret Of My Success" as this is probably my favourite Night Ranger track along with "Don't Tell Me You Love Me".

Due to geographical location, commitments and of course, finance, I miss loads of gigs every year but this must be the one that I was most disappointed not to attend even though it would have meant a 400-mile round trip. Still I must not complain too much as I recently have seen Rush, Journey, Foreigner and Styx and I have John Mellencamp, Eden's Curse, Dream Theater, Airbourne and Iron Maiden coming up in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the review and glad that you enjoyed it even if I am a wee bit envious...
Rockingbear
Ol' 78

Postby Real rock fan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:00 pm

I saw Foreigner on the Agent Provocateur tour at Birmingham, had to get a taxi back as there were no trains from New Street even though we were told there would be, cost me around £25, my mate couldn`t stop laughing.
We were expecting Night Ranger and like you we were disappointed.

They did say they will see us soon, hope it`s closer to home, we`re in Worcestershire and it was a long trip down but worth it. (we did fit in an all you can Chinese buffet and McDonalds was open when we came out of the show - lol)

Regarding The Secret Of My Success, they have so many great songs that I would rather have heard Rumours in The Air, Why Does Love Have To Change or maybe something off Man in Motion. Saying that it sounded superb live, great guitar.

I saw Rush, Styx, Foreigner and Journey a few weeks back too and also going to see Maiden (this Night Ranger show will be hard to beat)

Shame you missed it mate but hopefully you`ll get to see them next time, thanks for replying to this post.
Real rock fan
Ol' 78

Postby RockInDetroit » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:15 am

Real rock fan wrote:I saw Foreigner on the Agent Provocateur tour at Birmingham, had to get a taxi back as there were no trains from New Street even though we were told there would be, cost me around £25, my mate couldn`t stop laughing.
We were expecting Night Ranger and like you we were disappointed.

They did say they will see us soon, hope it`s closer to home, we`re in Worcestershire and it was a long trip down but worth it. (we did fit in an all you can Chinese buffet and McDonalds was open when we came out of the show - lol)

Regarding The Secret Of My Success, they have so many great songs that I would rather have heard Rumours in The Air, Why Does Love Have To Change or maybe something off Man in Motion. Saying that it sounded superb live, great guitar.

I saw Rush, Styx, Foreigner and Journey a few weeks back too and also going to see Maiden (this Night Ranger show will be hard to beat)

Shame you missed it mate but hopefully you`ll get to see them next time, thanks for replying to this post.

Night Ranger hasn't done anything off Man In Motion since they toured for that album. Not sure they have every done Why Does Love Have to Change. As for Rumors in the Air, maybe because you are in the UK...but I have seen them here in the US many times, that soing could go on Hiatus for a couple years. I like the song, but by removing it they are able to play others gons. They have not done Goodbye or Sentimental Streett (especially Good bye) in years. I would like to hear them again in the US. Was ROck In Roll TOnight better live than on the cd? That song kinda surrpised me as being part of the set list....the opener.
RockInDetroit
LP

Return to Earmuffs For The Blind