Eden's Curse - Leeds O2 Academy - 22/07/2011

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Eden's Curse - Leeds O2 Academy - 22/07/2011

Postby Rockingbear » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:03 am

EDEN’S CURSE

Leeds O2 Academy – Friday 22nd July 2011

I had already got my ticket for Dream Theater before it was announced that Eden’s Curse would be the support act for the evening. To me the latter was a huge bonus having been a huge fan since the release of their eponymous debut in 2007.

Being the support act, Eden’s Curse were limited by time but carefully picked the six tracks they did play, targeting the partisan Dream Theater audience. By the time that the intro “Trinitas Sanctas” started the O2 was close to capacity, many people coming to check out the band; despite being a huge fan this was my first time seeing The Curse.

Opening with the title track of their glorious third studio album “Trinity” the band hit the ground running. The live sound was definitely more metal than the magnificent melodic overtones that they produce in the studio and the harmony vocals on the next song “Fly Away” suffered a little in the mix.

Lead guitarist Thorsten Koehne was shredding through his solos like there was no tomorrow and these were certainly crystal clear in the mix. As were the powerful vocals of front man Michael Eden, who took every opportunity to thank Dream Theater and, in particular James LaBrie, for their support.

“Masquerade Ball” is one of the heaviest songs from their sophomore album “Second Coming” and was the next song delivered with power and passion. The rhythm section of Paul Logue on bass and Pete Newdeck on drums is as solid as they come both pitching in with backing vocals.

“No Holy Man” from the new album features James LaBrie on guest lead and backing vocals; those duties were admirably handled by keyboard player Alessandro Del Vecchio (Ale – cool abbreviation!).

The heaviest and my personal favourite track from the new album, “Jerusalem Sleeps” kept up the momentum and seemed to go down well with the majority of the crowd.

The all to brief set was brought to a close with the brilliant “Angels & Demons”; the studio version of this track features Pamela Moore duetting with Michael Eden but again Ale stepped up to the mark. Unfortunately, Ale is about half the size of Pamela and not nearly as attractive (sorry Ale).

Judging by the ovation that the band received at the end of the set they had not only pleased their existing fans but gained quite a few new ones. It is a great pity that this support slot was just for two shows as I think that they could easily have been on their way to breaking to the next level with a full tour.

I was fortunate to meet all the band members after the show who very kindly signed all my CD covers. Michael Eden is a very aggressive, in your face front man, however, off stage he is very well spoken and personable as are all the band members. They were all very humble and approachable and if there were any justice in the World they would be big stars.
Rockingbear
Ol' 78

Return to Earmuffs For The Blind