Thin Lizzy - Sheffield City Hall - 29/01/2012

Your chance to add a review for any live show you have just seen - stadium, festival show, club gig or special event.

Moderator: Andrew

Thin Lizzy - Sheffield City Hall - 29/01/2012

Postby Rockingbear » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:23 am

Thin Lizzy
Sheffield City Hall - Sunday 29th January 2012

Thin Lizzy were one of the bands that passed me by when I first got into rock music back in 1980. I was aware of their music but it has not been until recent years that I have truly appreciated how underrated this band are and what an amazing songwriter the late, great, Phil Lynott was. In all honesty, I would probably not have ventured out on a cold and wet January evening, had I not won a pair of tickets courtesy of Planet Rock and in doing so missed a brilliant gig.

Support for the evening came from Triggerfinger, a power-trio hailing from Antwerp, Belgium performing their unique hard blues rock (Queens Of The Stone Age meets Zeppelin) which was highly entertaining and featured one of the best sounds I have ever heard for a support band. Highlight of their set was “My Baby’s Got A Gun” featuring pure raw vocals (no microphones) of singer and guitarist Ruben Block. The superb sound continued for Maryland’s Clutch who went down well with the audience in attendance. Clutch are another band that I was unfamiliar with, their sound reminding me of a cross between 70’s Sabbath and Black Stone Cherry. I could not tell you any of the song titles that they played, however, their set was for the most part quite enjoyable.

As the lights went down the Thin Lizzy logo was spotlighted over the walls and ceiling of the three-quarters full Sheffield City Hall (the upper circle being completely empty). Despite the fact that it was not a full house the atmosphere was cracking throughout the whole evening. The curtains dropped to reveal a full stage with a large illuminated Thin Lizzy logo and ramps to either side of the drums. The unbelievable full sound enjoyed by both support bands continued for the rest of the evening. The sound engineer deserved a bonus and should be sought after with reverence by any discerning rock band!

The band launched into their hour and forty-five minute long set with an opening salvo of “Are You Ready” and “Jailbreak”. It was clear from the off-set that this was the real deal and not simply a few old band members cashing in as a tribute band. “Bad Reputation” kept up the heavy start with old stalwart Scott Gorham trading guitar licks with the multi-talented, new boy, Damon Johnson.

The pace dropped slightly with the classic “Don’t Believe A Word” introduced by bassist Marco Meendoza with frontman Ricky Warwick ably handling the lead vocals. Ricky has his own style but you can still hear the legendary Phil in his delivery ”Killer On The Loose” followed with “Dancing In The Moonlight” getting a particularly strong crowd reaction.

“Massacre” from 1976’s “Johnny The Fox” was very heavy and my least favourite song of the evening but the next three certainly got the band back on the right tracks again. Starting with one of my favourite Lizzy tracks “Angel Of Death” which featured some excellent keyboard work from Dare’s Darren Wharton who got to share lead vocals on the classic ballad “Still In Love With You”.

“Whiskey In The Jar” was another crowd favourite and had us all singing “Whack for my daddy-o” at full voice. A rousing reception was given to original drummer Brian Downey who performed a brief drum solo during “Sha La La” from Lizzy’s 1974 album “Nightlife”.

“Suicide” was intense before the main set was closed with ”Waiting For An Alibi”, “Cowboy Song” and arguably the most famous Thin Lizzy track “The Boys Are Back In Town”.

The band briefly left the stage before returning for a well deserved encore. The Bob Seger cover and sing-a-long “Rosalie” was sandwiched between the Celtic classics “Emerald” and “Black Rose”. Thin Lizzy left the stage to a standing ovation from the 1,500 strong crowd and promised to return. Ricky Warwick thanked the audience for coming out and supporting the band in these times of recession; I was fortunate to win my ticket but wanted to pay the band back with a positive review which was very easy based on tonight’s performance.
Rockingbear
Ol' 78

Return to Gig Reviews