Night Ranger - Islington O2 Academy - 4 June 2012

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Night Ranger - Islington O2 Academy - 4 June 2012

Postby Rockingbear » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:43 am

Night Ranger

Islington O2 Academy

Monday 4th June 2012

I had been waiting thirty years to see Night Ranger having missed the couple of occasions that they had played last in the UK. Back in 1985 I had got excited at the prospect of seeing them support Foreigner only to find, on arrival at the Birmingham NEC, that they were only support on the London date. Then last year I was away on holiday when they played Islington. I am not proud of myself but I was hoping that they would have had to cancel that gig; subsequent reviews indicated that this was one of the great gigs of all time. The latter was, unfortunately, confirmed to me by two close friends, one a long-time fan and the other a relative new fan.

There was no way I was going to miss out this year, however, would lightning strike twice or had I missed the boat?

Travelling down mid-afternoon we avoided the expected heavy traffic enabling enough time for a very nice Italian pre-gig meal; thirty years ago it would have been a greasy burger from a van!

Dante Fox had the privilege of opening the show but unfortunately suffered from a poor sound: far too loud! Hopefully, the latter will be better when they play later in the year at Firefest.

Following the aforementioned, poor sound I was a little concerned for the main event. My anxiety was further increased when the sound engineers appeared to have problems with the keyboards delaying the start by ten to fifteen minutes. I was also concerned that this would also reduce the time that the band would have on stage, however, the latter did not transpire.

The lights went down and AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long” blasted through the PA. Then after thirty years in waiting, for my good self, Night Ranger were on stage. What was instantly noticeable was that all five members were front of stage, including Kelly Keagy on drums and vocals. Jack Blades, replete with blue scarf and sunglasses was front and centre and bouncing about like a man possessed. The crowd reception was like the “second coming” and the band just fed off the energy. Three original members Jack Blades (bass, lead and backing vocals), Brad Gillis (lead & rhythm guitars and backing vocals) and Kelly Keagy (drums, lead and backing vocals) but are happy to share the stage with newer members Joel Hoekstra (lead & rhythm guitars and backing vocals) and Eric Levy (keyboards, piano, backing vocals).

Set opener was the rip-roaring “Lay It On Me” from mine and many other melodic rock fans’ 2011 Album Of The Year “Somewhere In California”. I was still in a state of shock when the first of numerous classics was played, “Sing Me Away” from the 1982 debut “Dawn Patrol” featuring Kelly on lead vocals. There are very few bands who can boast such phenomenal vocal talents as Night Ranger including two incredible lead vocalists in Jack Blades and Kelly Keagy.

Third song up was the title-track from 1985’s “Seven Wishes”; I could say that this was another crowd favourite but every song would fit that category.

The first cover version of the evening was Damn Yankee’s “Coming Of Age” with Jack intimating that this would be the only way we would hear it as a reunion is unlikely in the near future. Jack then asked the audience, “Does anyone here not know that Brad Gillis played with Ozzy Osbourne following the tragic death of Randy Rhoads?”

Surprisingly, there were a couple who admitted not to knowing to which Jack wittily replied, “Are you only fourteen years of age?”

Jack continued by asking Brad for his favourite Ozzy track which he offered to play rather than say; cue “Crazy Train”.

The first of five numbers from 1983’s “Midnight Madness” was the incredible “Rumors In The Air”. It was evident that the band were having a ball as they could not wipe the smiles off their faces throughout the whole evening. The same could be said for the capacity crowd.

Jack Blades then asked the audience if they knew which album the track “Secret Of My Success” from the Michael J. Fox of the same name was taken from? A very loud, “Big Life” was answered back; my personal favourite Night Ranger album. Kelly admitted that he could not remember which album it had been taken from blaming memory loss due to the use of various “substances” in the eighties…

Joel Hoekstra was then passed an acoustic six-string guitar expecting to play “Sentimental Street” (as written on the set-list which I managed to catch at the end of the set) only to be told that they were going to play the first ever song written by Jack, Kelly and ex-guitarist Jeff Watson “Let Him Run” which, paradoxically, appeared at the end of the sophomore album “Midnight Madness”. A second acoustic number followed with the magnificent “Goodbye”.

The band then cranked it up again with the thunderous “Eddie’s Coming Out” from the debut album. It is incredible how heavy this band is live yet still maintaining all the great melodies.

Jack introduced Joel Hoekstra on guitars mentioning that the new “Rock Of Ages” film was about to be released featuring some Night Ranger music. He also mentioned that Joel plays on the Broadway version of the show which I was lucky to see in New York a couple of years ago. Jack asked if we wanted to hear another Damn Yankees song asking Kelly to take the role of Tommy Shaw, at which point he amusingly squatted down; Brad Gillis to take on the role of Ted Nugent, Brad imitating shooting Jack in the ass! “High Enough” had the crowd and band, in unison, in full voice.

The title track of last year’s “Growing Up In California” preceded the raucous “Touch Of Madness”. By this time, tonight’s show had already become one of the best club gigs I had ever had the privilege of attending and was up there with the likes of Jimi Jamison, White Sister and Honeymoon Suite at Firefest – “Yes,” it was that good!

From “High Enough” I was expecting the final track so the four songs after were just an added bonus. “Four In The Morning (I Can’t Take Anymore)” and “When You Close Your Eyes” were pure bliss.

Main set closer “Don’t Tell Me You Love Me” featured a cover of Deep Purple’s “Highway Star” with Jack joking, “Well, what did you think we grew up listening to?”

The band left to a tumultuous reception returning to even more applause. Jack then announced, “We know, that you know, that we know, that you know, that we know, that you know……what we have left to play.”

He then explained how Kelly wrote a song about his sister, back in Oregon, wanting to grow up too quickly in the early eighties. Kelly left his drums and came to centre-stage for a stupendous rendition of their biggest hit “Sister Christian”.

The inevitable “(You Can Still) Rock In America” brought the hour and forty-five minute to a riotous climax.

Hopefully, I won’t have to wait another thirty years to see, arguably, the best live act on the planet!
Last edited by Rockingbear on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rockingbear
Ol' 78

Postby Real rock fan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:12 am

A very nice review, I didn't have the opportunity to go this year but I went last year with Airrace supporting, brilliant show.

I was also at the Foreigner show at the NEC in 1985 and expecting Night Ranger, still ranks as one of my disappointing moments.
Real rock fan
Ol' 78

Postby RockInDetroit » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:54 pm

Good to see Good-bye back in the set, but no Sentimental Street? I would rather have that than High ENough. But It's good they are changing things around a little. Night Ranger has been on fire (live) ever since they reunioned on the Neverland tour.
RockInDetroit
LP

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara