Whitesnake - Sheffield Motorpoint Arena (20/05/2013)

Your chance to add a review for any live show you have just seen - stadium, festival show, club gig or special event.

Moderator: Andrew

Whitesnake - Sheffield Motorpoint Arena (20/05/2013)

Postby Rockingbear » Sat May 25, 2013 10:40 pm

WHITESNAKE

Sheffield Motorpoint Arena - Monday 20th May 2013

The Who’s “My Generation” signaled we were moments away from Whitesnake hitting the stage, with David Coverdale wearing a smile wider than the Atlantic Ocean, announcing, in typical fashion, “’Ere’s a song f’ya!” although “Give Me All Your Love” would not have been my first choice of openers.

“Ready An’ Willing” took us all the way back to 1980 and kept the “Whitesnake Choir” in full voice.

James, the lighting engineer, came into some flack from Mr. Coverdale for blinding his holiness on stage but “Elsie” still managed to see the funny side of it all! He said that it was, “Fuckin’ great to be back in Yorkshire!” which endeared him even further to the Sheffield crowd.

“Can You Hear The Wind Blow” from 2008’s “Good To Be Bad” showed that Coverdale can still scream them out with the best of them.

One of my all-time favourite Whitesnake songs, “Don’t Break My Heart Again” bared no resemblance to the original from 1981’s “Come An’ Get It” and was given the metalised treatment with Doug Aldrich’s and Reb Beach’s guitars drowning out the keyboards of Brian Ruedy.

Whitesnake had the loudest sound of the evening and the mix was very good although the keyboards were not as prominent as in previous incarnations of the band.

The second of five tracks, from the ground breaking eponymous 1987 album, was the monster ballad “Is This Love” and though not as perfect as the album version still was an excellent rendition proving that Coverdale still possessed the talent he bestowed on the World 40 years ago.

A nice touch was the tribute to former, now deceased, members of Whitesnake shown on the back screen: Mel Galley, Cozy Powell and Jon Lord. “Gambler” to my ears had the best sound of the set and is from my favourite ‘Snake album, the transitional “Slide It In”.

Three tracks then followed from the “Forevermore” album; David even finding time to read out a marriage proposal from a crowd member and also spotting a guy in a big blonde wig, prior to the title track from the 2011 album. This was a real tour-de-force and Coverdale put his heart and soul, as he always does, and was really appreciated by the partisan crowd.

Mr. C. cleverly rests his voice at every opportunity with use of the aforementioned Whitesnake Choir, surrounding himself with exceptionally talented backing vocalists and the use of out-dated guitar solos - prior to “Love Will Set You Free” - and a Tommy Aldridge drum solo at the end. Fortunately, due to time constraints these solos were kept to a minimum. David Coverdale still remains one of the greatest front men on the planet and just knows how to work a crowd.; his voice may not be as good as it once was but it is far from wrecked and improved from the early nineties.

“Best Years”, “Bad Boys” leading into “Children Of The Night” kept up the metal

The BIG classics were left to wrap up the show in triumphal style. “Fool For Your Loving” again was too metal for me compared with classic original; “Here I Go Again” had the crowd in full voice and “Still Of The Night” brought the set to a fitting crescendo.

Special mention to bassist Michael Devin who looked like he was having the time of his life, living the dream, however, there was no doubt the real star of the evening, was the forever young, 61 year old, David Coverdale.

Set-list:-

1 Give Me All Your Love - Whitesnake (1987)
2 Ready An' Willing - Ready An' Willing (1980)
3 Can You Hear the Wind Blow - Good To Be Bad (2008)
4 Don't Break My Heart Again - Come An' Get It (1981)
5 Is This Love - Whitesnake (1987)
6 Gambler - Slide It In (1984)
7 Love Will Set You Free - Forevermore (2011)
8 Steal Your Heart Away - Forevermore (2011)
9 Forevermore - Forevermore (2011)
10 Best Years - Good To Be Bad (2008)
11 Bad Boys / Children Of The Night - Whitesnake (1987)
12 Fool for Your Loving - Ready An' Willing (1980)
13 Here I Go Again - Saints & Sinners (1982)
14 Still of the Night - Whitesnake (1987)
Rockingbear
Ol' 78

Return to Gig Reviews