I wonder... has anyone here heard the album yet???

Ed+Al+Wolf+Dave-Mike(Sammy+Gary=0)=2012 Tour+CD=fans(money)

Moderator: Andrew

Postby strangegrey » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:45 pm

I can say this...I can see why some people would like this album.....but the vast majority of those people never got the 'whole' Van Halen. Instead, they thought Van Halen was all about Roth and EVH was never an aspect here....those same people:

* showed up at Van Halen shows post 85 with "Hagar sucks" and "Where's Roth" banners
* instantly planted themselves in the Eat em and Smile camp in 1986.
* in derogatory fashion, pushed the moniker "Van Hagar" with respect to referring to VH fronted by Hagar.

I was a VH fan during Roth, after Roth, during Sammy, after Sammy, during Gary.....it didn't matter.....to me, EVH's contribution was the reason it was called 'VAN HALEN'....NOT Dave's. Those that gave legs to the 'Van Hagar' moniker never thought twice about calling it Van Roth....Don't bother responding, I know why!

The fact of the matter is this....True VH fans of all eras of VH see the lack of substance that aDKOT has. The ones that are so desperate to suck Roth's dick that they've waited 27 years for the chance, are the ones that mistakenly find this album to be the be all end all of VH....instead of the crusty part of EVH's ass that he forgot to wipe away after taking a post-Bertinelli dump in his gold-plated dumper up at Howdy Doody mountain. EVH himself felt this way a year ago. EVH never wanted to continue with Roth...he always viewed it as a step back.

Regardless, I view aDKOT as Pure shit....There's a good chance that I will actually listen to aDKOT less times than the most recent Journey abortion, Eclipse......and that speaks fucking volumes.
strangegrey
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:19 pm

strangegrey wrote:The fact of the matter is this....True VH fans of all eras of VH see the lack of substance that aDKOT has.

Yes, we do.

strangegrey wrote:The ones that are so desperate to suck Roth's dick that they've waited 27 years for the chance, are the ones that mistakenly find this album to be the be all end all of VH....

Yes, they are.

For those that think DLR is the rock VH was built on, Roth's solo albums don't do much to affirm that notion.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:42 pm

strangegrey wrote:
Memorex wrote:
strangegrey wrote:I've listened to the whole thing several times through and I feel it's the worst VH record ever released.....I really don't know what Wombats smoking....first praises on that piece of shit by Journey, Eclipse....then this carefully executed turd from the VH boys....are we listening to the same shitty albums?

Energy don't mean shit without songs. VHI Had songs, so did Every other VH Record....this one doesn't....simple as that.

Hugely disappointed!

You gotta let all that go man and just enjoy it for what it is. For their age, for being gone, for all the crap, it's not a bad disc at all. It needs more melody and all that, but I just have to let that go.

Let what go?
I'm not harboring any ill will towards EVH and the boys. I've been a huge VH fan for over 30 years (A dirty little secret is that I am a greater VH fan than I ever was a Journey fan) and EVH is the direct reason I am a guitarist.

The fact of the matter is that there are no songs (good, bad or otherwise) on this record. It's crap. To my ears, there's one good song, that's it. The rest sound like late 70s demo rejects that were rehashed. Ironically, that's not too far from the truth. However, EVH and co failed to consider that they should have left 35 year old rejected songs in the past, where they belong.

I should not, as a fan, be forced to consider their age, their absence or any other mitigating factor here when demanding a good product from them or any other band. When they release a pile of rat excrement, I will react accordingly. When they release a great album, I will react accordingly.

Too many people are so enamored with the fact that VH released something, anything at all, to stop and listen to the quality of the piece of shit that was released.

This is Journey Eclipse all over again. Diarrhea gets released, fanbois start having orgasms at the mere thought of drinking said diarrhea....guzzle it all down in a frosty mug, without realizing what they're gulping down.....

and we wonder why the bar has been lowered in this genre of music?!

I know what you are saying. It's not a great record in the sense of anything ground breaking or melodically. My comment about letting it all go is that maybe those expectations should not be there in the first place, all things considered. In other words, what would it take to please you with a a new album? Vocals? Uh uh - not gonna happen. Great melodies? Uh uh, not that kind of band with Dave there and the other half not altogether there. I'm not saying it's a great album by any means. I'd be surprised if Drew is listening to it a month from now cause frankly, there is nothing on the album to bring people back again and again. Nothing to latch onto. And like you, it's the same way I feel about Eclipse.

However, though I do not particularly love those two records, I also can't hate them like you because I don't think you can expect anything like that out of either camp at this point. I guess that's all I was trying to say.

For me, so far, record of the past year is Night Ranger's. That just scored huge with me. Close second is John Waite's disc. And to be honest, Melissa Etheridge put out a damn fine CD just a while back. I think those discs have the "come back" factor.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby No Surprize » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:11 pm

strangegrey wrote:
Memorex wrote:
strangegrey wrote:I've listened to the whole thing several times through and I feel it's the worst VH record ever released.....I really don't know what Wombats smoking....first praises on that piece of shit by Journey, Eclipse....then this carefully executed turd from the VH boys....are we listening to the same shitty albums?

Energy don't mean shit without songs. VHI Had songs, so did Every other VH Record....this one doesn't....simple as that.

Hugely disappointed!

You gotta let all that go man and just enjoy it for what it is. For their age, for being gone, for all the crap, it's not a bad disc at all. It needs more melody and all that, but I just have to let that go.

Let what go?
I'm not harboring any ill will towards EVH and the boys. I've been a huge VH fan for over 30 years (A dirty little secret is that I am a greater VH fan than I ever was a Journey fan) and EVH is the direct reason I am a guitarist.

The fact of the matter is that there are no songs (good, bad or otherwise) on this record. It's crap. To my ears, there's one good song, that's it. The rest sound like late 70s demo rejects that were rehashed. Ironically, that's not too far from the truth. However, EVH and co failed to consider that they should have left 35 year old rejected songs in the past, where they belong.

I should not, as a fan, be forced to consider their age, their absence or any other mitigating factor here when demanding a good product from them or any other band. When they release a pile of rat excrement, I will react accordingly. When they release a great album, I will react accordingly.

Too many people are so enamored with the fact that VH released something, anything at all, to stop and listen to the quality of the piece of shit that was released.

This is Journey Eclipse all over again. Diarrhea gets released, fanbois start having orgasms at the mere thought of drinking said diarrhea....guzzle it all down in a frosty mug, without realizing what they're gulping down.....

and we wonder why the bar has been lowered in this genre of music?!

Man, your bringing me down. You, being a VH fan for 30 years tell's me what your saying may be true. I haven't heard it yet, except one song and a little of another, both of them I like, especially "Blood & Fire" from what little I've heard. I've also read Andrew's review of the songs and what he say's about each of them. From reading them, I'm beginning to wonder and I've looked forward to this for 28 years. I was hoping for an cd in the vain of "1984". Fun time big rock, picking up where they left off. I would be jacked if it were like VH1 or FW which I'm also hoping as a close second. I really hope this doesn't disappoint me.
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby strangegrey » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:10 am

Listen, everyone's gotta make their own assessment of the album. I might be the one guy that fucking hates the shit out of this record for every 100 who listen to it....but I'm betting that's not the case.

I was trying to explain my feelings on aDKOT to a friend earlier...and I think I got the point across.

First, the songs ain't there. They really aren't. In the past, VH records always had 85-95% magic....and there was a stinker track on each record. Actually, stinker's a bad word. There was always a track or two that wasn't as strong as the rest of the album. But that was the exception, not the rule. The rest of the albums were pure magic.

That's not the case on this record. On aDKOT, the exception becomes the rule. There are a few good/ok tracks, but the rest is garbage. Bad songs, no hooks, no cohesiveness. You can't repeatedly come back to the record for the 'energy' or whatever it is that people are claiming aDKOT has. Like Memorex said, a month from now, this won't be repeatedly played on anyone's stereo. It's going to die off, because at the end of the day, it's the songs. It's not an important part...it's THE important part.

Now, let me put my guitarist hat on for a sec:
EVH's 'tone' is shit on this record. Now before people start jumping on me, let me clarify my use of the word 'tone'; 'tone' isn't just strings into pickups into effects into amp. In the context of what I'm saying, 'tone' is EVH's playing, his fingers, how he picks the strings, how he bends them, how he reacts to the amp, how he adapts during the course of doing a take....all of it. The whole package. These factors are the factors that allow someone to watch EVH plug into someone else's guitar/amp rig and immediately hear EVH still playing. There aren't many guitarists out there that have that 'magic' to their 'tone'....but EVH has it in spades beyond any other guitarist.

My problem with this record is that there's several swaths of music on aDKOT where I don't hear EVH. I don't hear that 'tone'...There's places on the record where if you told me steve lukather was playing, I couldn't argue that "No way that's EVH!" the way I could on every other VH record recorded. THAT's a problem. Something wen't amiss in either the recording/capturing of EVH's playing or EVH's playing itself. It completely lacks the magical goodies that make EVH's playing instantly recognizable.

If aDKOT didn't have the songs, but EVH's 'tone' was there in spades, I could wrap my arms around this record as a guitarist....and love it just for EVH's playing alone. But with EVH's 'tone' out to lunch on this record and the songs being mostly shit.....I have a hard time wrapping my arms around the record from any perspective.

Then, to add insult to injury....Mikey's voice is fucking gone....Mikey's voice was just as integral to VH's sound as Alex's snare or EVH's guitar. Mikey's gone, EVH's tone is out to lunch....and the songs suck. Those factors are too much for me to bear.....

I hope I explained myself in a way that makes people understand where I'm coming from. I know some people are finding good things out of this record...and I'm glad they are. I scratch my head to just what they're finding....but the fact that they're finding it is nice. At least some people get their new VH....To me, this record doesn't hold up well at all...
strangegrey
Stereo LP

Postby No Surprize » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:43 am

Strange, I hear, loud and clear. I'm holding out hope, that's all I can do.
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:47 am

I agree that the hooks aren't there, which is why this is a fun listen for a little while and then I am not likely to return to it.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby AR » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:22 am

I like the CD. It has some swagger.

No songs with the word "love" in them (How Will I Know When It's Love?, Why Can't This Be Love?, Love Walks In) Sammy wasn't exactly the best lyricist either. :lol:
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby lowdbrent » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:54 am

I bought it today at Walmart.

I have listened to it twice. There are some songs with elements very similar to other DLR era tunes. One song has a similar chord progression. Of course there are re-recorded songs from the Gene Simmons demo. To my ear, the rawness of the original demo guitar tracks is not quite there. I have to say, this is the best sounding VH album aside from Balance. There is bass guitar in the mix. It even has a bit of distorted growl to it. I honestly think Tattoo should not be on the record. I like just about everything else. I think that is could possibly be the hardest sounding VH record EVER. I like the tone. If all you have heard are the previews, you owe it to yourself to listen to the whole thing before making a judgement call. Some of the previews are just a small snapshot of a section of the tune and not a complete view. There are some catchy changes and solos that remind me of the old days. Some of the songs have a live feel to them. What I like best is VH never sounds snapped to the grip in ProTools. It is what it is with lots of swing.
lowdbrent
Ol' 78

like it

Postby tinylights » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:13 pm

I've listened to the entire record 3 times now. Overall really solid. Better than I thought it would be. Not crazy about the way the guitars were recorded. Very compressed sound. A lot of mid level in the mix. And sounds like much of the guitar recording was done direct rather than room and amp mic'd. That might be where that brown sound tone is missing. Although, I do think the recording is cohesive throughout and the quality level is there overall. I like that the bass is up in the mix. Some nice heavy tunes in there! I like: Beats workin, big river, trouble with never, shes the woman, you and your blues, blood and fire... And I agree Tattoo just doesn't seem to fit at all, much less merit a lead off single. Just wish Dave could still sing...But he does a decent job injecting "that Dave energy" where tone and range no longer exist.
tinylights
Radio Waves

Postby Red13JoePa » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:58 am

LOL Just went...typical walmart.
No sign of the album and vacuous stares when you ask "Where are the new releases."
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby brandonx76 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:40 am

Already like it better than anything I heard from Chickenfoot
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby Eyeof » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:54 am

I have downloaded and listened to some, but not enough here at work to make a judgement...I'll be honest I've had Tattoo stuck in my head for a week, so it has hooked me. I find it to be as pleasing a tune as "Oh Yeah" was, so we are on par there...

For people who can be objective, are you finding the album better or worse than Chickenfoot...I'm not asking if you hate hagar or all that, i'm asking objective fans...I liked the CF albums a lot...

I think I'll like this one...I love the Hagar era, but I like what I have heard so far, caught the tour in '07 and have my tix for this year, so don't give me crap on that...

Just seeing how it will stack up...
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby Eyeof » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:56 am

LOL AR...Imagine a combined effort of bad lyrics with Roth and Hagar!
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby brandonx76 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:14 am

It just sounds like they're coming from an instinctual place this time around, it's a fun record to listen to now - but not sure how long it will hold up....some great playing from Eddie of course, really like stay frosty, big river, outta space, blood and fire, a couple of others, didn't like She's the Woman as much due to some over the top reaches by Dave at times, but alas, what are you going to do...Roth era VH fans that complain significantly probably wouldn't be happy with ANYTHING they produced at this stage. In any event, they're back, sans Michael...enjoy
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby G.I.Jim » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:04 am

I think the album kicks ASS (for the most part), and with the exception of about 3 songs... this album gets two thumbs up from me! I had to hear the whole album a couple of times to really get a couple of the songs, but I am now sold. No... they don't sound like they're from 1984 anymore, but you could not possibly ask for more from a band that's this old. I think with Dave's limited vocal capabilities at this stage, they did the best they could have and have an album we should all be proud of. :D
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby jestor92 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:32 pm

I've only listened to the album once through and it wasn't a very close listen. Wasn't overly impressed. I'll listen to it more closely tomorrow.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby Eyeof » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:03 am

I had very high hopes after really enjoying Tattoo for the past week...but I have to say, It is really, really,really going to have to grow on me...from the frist couple of listens some songs sound like complete junk...it's like listening to an entire album of the worst song on "Fair Warning" or something...As three listens I don't feel anything else on the album is even close to living up to the single...

That said, VH albums have always had a way of growing on me. Still to say this is better than anything Chickenfoot put out is nuts at this point. Heck, at this point I would say Vince Neil and Brett Michael's last solo albums were two notches above this...

I really,really do hope it grows on me. If not, I hope they only playTattoo at the concert....
Last edited by Eyeof on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby Red13JoePa » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:29 am

Finally got it. Tattoo is smoking, love that heavy freight train like rythym part from Edward and She's The Woman has Eddie in your face aggressive and confident..opposite of things people bitched about him on the more subtle Tattoo.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby slucero » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:56 am

Imma have to agree with Strangegrey... I've listened to this a couple times already.. and it's seriously lacking in the songwriting department...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby cittadeeno23 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:10 am

I have listened to it 5 times now and I really think the Chickenfoot album is so much better. You really can see the difference in the talent levels between Sammy and DLR when you listen to them back to back. At least in my opinion.
Dave is great for VH. He is their frontman and belongs there. He was a huge reason why they became one of the most popular American bands ever. I'm happy for you Original lineup diehards. But I just like the Sammy/Mikey harmonies better. I can listen to Ed play all day long though. I really do love the Van Hagar albums and wish that lineup would have lasted forever, but I'm glad for you Dave era fans who waited for this forever. Enjoy it and have a blast at the concerts this summer!
cittadeeno23
LP

Postby RockInDetroit » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:09 am

I have not bought yet, but will. But two things scare me....

1) These songs are old ones that have never been released.
2) Melodies. I have heard from many this cd is missing them.

I can live without MA. Not many bands 35 years old have all original members. Actually feel DLR Van Halen is way better than Van Hagar. And I say that being a real BIG fan of Standing Hampton, Three Lock Box and VOA.

I think with all the time gone by since the last Van Halen cd that they should've had time to write some great melodic stuff. I will be buying this cd in the next week. I will know then.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby slucero » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:32 am

cittadeeno23 wrote:I have listened to it 5 times now and I really think the Chickenfoot album is so much better. You really can see the difference in the talent levels between Sammy and DLR when you listen to them back to back. At least in my opinion.
Dave is great for VH. He is their frontman and belongs there. He was a huge reason why they became one of the most popular American bands ever. I'm happy for you Original lineup diehards. But I just like the Sammy/Mikey harmonies better. I can listen to Ed play all day long though. I really do love the Van Hagar albums and wish that lineup would have lasted forever, but I'm glad for you Dave era fans who waited for this forever. Enjoy it and have a blast at the concerts this summer!

I was hoping for some VHI and VHII type stuff... but there's nothing that sticks out...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby AR » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:12 am

RockInDetroit wrote:I have not bought yet, but will. But two things scare me....

1) These songs are old ones that have never been released.

I think 6 songs are new, the other 7 are mainly reworkings of the Gene Simmons demo sessions.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby jestor92 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:36 am

I've finally listened to it closely. Only Tattoo, She's the Woman, Stay Frosty, and The Trouble With Never really stand out as good songs. The melody and lyrics on most of the songs are weak as sin. Outta Space makes me believe that DLR decided to rewrite the lyrics for some of the songs off the "DLR Band" record.

IMO a disappointing effort from the band since it's been 14 years since they released a new album, I was expecting something well....good. Musically it's a solid album, lyrically it blows ass and kills it for me. DLR's lyrics in the past have been weak, but they were a catchy fun weak. The lyrics on this just suck.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby AR » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:34 am

jestor92 wrote:Musically it's a solid album, lyrically it blows ass and kills it for me. DLR's lyrics in the past have been weak, but they were a catchy fun weak. The lyrics on this just suck.

One shot...Hey! Mas Tequila-
Two shots...Hey! Hey! que veneno-
Three shots...Hey! Arriba! Hey! Hey! Hey! Mas Tequila!
woo
She did a mean macarena to the funky cold medina
Behind a body shot and three margaritas.
She'll drink it straight from the bottle, terra cotta jug,
From a boda bag coppin' a major buzz.
I say,
One shot...Hey! Mas Tequila-
Two shots...Hey! Hey! que veneno-
Three shots...
Uno mas, bartender...one more...mas tequila!
Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey!
Yo can drink the water, but don't ya eat the ice;
Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice!

Oh yeah!
Yeah! She's gotta have soul
Or it won't feel right
Well, just plain, clean, and simple
Wrapped up nice n' tight

And homegrown and down-home, that makes one
Cookin' up that old time, long lost recipe for me. Woo!

It's gettin' hard to find
Guess it ain't hip enough now
You take an average guy, he can't identify, uh
And there's a short supply of her fine, fine stuff

Lemme get on, lemme get on, lemme get on some o' that
Shake it up, bake it up nice, uh!
Lemme get on, lemme get on, lemme get on all that
I so love my baby's poundcake
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Eyeof » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:39 am

Bullethead,
bomb the moon until you're crazy dead.
B-b-b-b-b-b-bullethead
got a different kind of true.
Bullethead,
yes you are in danger.
I drive just like you!

I got Elvis on my elbow
When I flex it, Elvis talks
I got hula girls on the back of my leg
and she hula's when I walk.

screeching cherry red
screaming 'lectric green
purple mountain's majesty
talk to me! Talk to me babe!

Swap meet Sally
Trampstamp Tatt
housewife to bombshell in the
time it took to get that new tattoo
tattoo tattoo

tattoo tattoo
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:52 am

Eyeof wrote:Bullethead,
B-b-b-b-b-b-bullethead
Bullethead,
yes you are in danger.
I drive just like you!

I got Elvis on my elbow

screeching cherry red
screaming 'lectric green

Swap meet Sally
Trampstamp Tatt
tattoo tattoo

tattoo tattoo

Call it a draw then, but Sammy wasn't any prize lyrically himself as evidenced. (and more originally by me for that matter) :P

I don't recall EVER listening to Van Halen for much lyrical content so don't see the current CD as any better or worse now.

How Will I Know When It's Love?
Why Can't This Be Love?
Love Walks In?
Can't Stop Loving You
Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do

:lol:
Last edited by AR on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Tito » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:55 am

Eyeof wrote:Bullethead,
B-b-b-b-b-b-bullethead
Bullethead,
yes you are in danger.
I drive just like you!

I got Elvis on my elbow

screeching cherry red
screaming 'lectric green

Swap meet Sally
Trampstamp Tatt
tattoo tattoo

tattoo tattoo

It's mousewife to momshell.

And I think it's a great lyric.
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby Eyeof » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:40 am

what is a mousewife or a momshell...I looked those lyrics up, so not sure...but i'm not sure making up words actually adds the the argument...

Yes, both these guys have written some really, really bad lyrics and I would agree, I sure don't listen to the music for the words man!

I was just messing though, I love Tattoo....my problem is I can't find anything else on the album that hooks me...you know?
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Van Halen