I wonder... has anyone here heard the album yet???

Ed+Al+Wolf+Dave-Mike(Sammy+Gary=0)=2012 Tour+CD=fans(money)

Moderator: Andrew

Postby Eyeof » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:49 am

Hagar: Oh, no, I think it's fantastic. Really, it's fantastic. Are you kidding me? If you take Joe [Satriani, CHICKENFOOT guitarist] versus Eddie, you take Dave [Lee Roth, VAN HALEN singer] versus me, Wolfie [Van Halen, VAN HALEN bassist] versus Mikey, Chad [Smith, CHICKENFOOT drummer] or Kenny [Aronoff, CHICKENFOOT's touring drummer] versus Al [Alex Van Halen, VAN HALEN drummer]… I mean, come on! You know what I mean? Man for man, who can sing the best? Dave or I, today? Who can play the best? Joe or Eddie, today? Who could play or sing the best? Wolfie or Mikey? I think it's a joke. Sure, I love the comparison as long as it's fair. Not because you're a big Eddie Van Halen fan, you think that he's God, therefore you think that he's better than Joe; you have to be bipartisan and just listen and watch both of them play. Listen, I played with them both, I can tell you right now: there is no comparison today. Never mind the innovator that Eddie was. I'm talking about what they can play today.
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:03 pm

I like Chickenfoot III, but wasn't into their first CD much.

If you want to talk about NO HOOKs, that was Chickenfoot live. Just jamming and songs without choruses and way too loud. They have seemed to correct that in a BIG way though with Different Devil.

You won't be getting any VH or Sammy solo stuff with the foot though (according to Sammy) - all reserved for his solo band.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Tito » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Eyeof wrote:what is a mousewife or a momshell...I looked those lyrics up, so not sure...but i'm not sure making up words actually adds the the argument...

Yes, both these guys have written some really, really bad lyrics and I would agree, I sure don't listen to the music for the words man!

I was just messing though, I love Tattoo....my problem is I can't find anything else on the album that hooks me...you know?

Momshell is basically a MILF. Mom + bombshell of course. Mousewife is a housewife who spends lots of time on the internet i.e. chat sites. You think the Melodic Rockers would be partial to that lyric since we have a lot mousewives on this site.

I agree with AR, I don't care about lyrics that much. It's about the music. I think that applies to most people since most people are always singing the wrong lyrics to any song.
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby Tito » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Eyeof wrote:Hagar: Oh, no, I think it's fantastic. Really, it's fantastic. Are you kidding me? If you take Joe [Satriani, CHICKENFOOT guitarist] versus Eddie, you take Dave [Lee Roth, VAN HALEN singer] versus me, Wolfie [Van Halen, VAN HALEN bassist] versus Mikey, Chad [Smith, CHICKENFOOT drummer] or Kenny [Aronoff, CHICKENFOOT's touring drummer] versus Al [Alex Van Halen, VAN HALEN drummer]… I mean, come on! You know what I mean? Man for man, who can sing the best? Dave or I, today? Who can play the best? Joe or Eddie, today? Who could play or sing the best? Wolfie or Mikey? I think it's a joke. Sure, I love the comparison as long as it's fair. Not because you're a big Eddie Van Halen fan, you think that he's God, therefore you think that he's better than Joe; you have to be bipartisan and just listen and watch both of them play. Listen, I played with them both, I can tell you right now: there is no comparison today. Never mind the innovator that Eddie was. I'm talking about what they can play today.

Sammy is full of shit as usual. A bitter prick. If he wants to play the game, I'll take DLR's first solo band post-VH. Vai, Sheehan, and Bissonette.
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:24 pm

Tito wrote:
Eyeof wrote:Hagar: Oh, no, I think it's fantastic. Really, it's fantastic. Are you kidding me? If you take Joe [Satriani, CHICKENFOOT guitarist] versus Eddie, you take Dave [Lee Roth, VAN HALEN singer] versus me, Wolfie [Van Halen, VAN HALEN bassist] versus Mikey, Chad [Smith, CHICKENFOOT drummer] or Kenny [Aronoff, CHICKENFOOT's touring drummer] versus Al [Alex Van Halen, VAN HALEN drummer]… I mean, come on! You know what I mean? Man for man, who can sing the best? Dave or I, today? Who can play the best? Joe or Eddie, today? Who could play or sing the best? Wolfie or Mikey? I think it's a joke. Sure, I love the comparison as long as it's fair. Not because you're a big Eddie Van Halen fan, you think that he's God, therefore you think that he's better than Joe; you have to be bipartisan and just listen and watch both of them play. Listen, I played with them both, I can tell you right now: there is no comparison today. Never mind the innovator that Eddie was. I'm talking about what they can play today.

Sammy is full of shit as usual. A bitter prick. If he wants to play the game, I'll take DLR's first solo band post-VH. Vai, Sheehan, and Bissonette.

The line-up was amazing (Sheehan!) but the album's forgettable. 5150 blew it away.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Eyeof » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:26 am

5150 is the best Van Halen album...

IMO
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby G.I.Jim » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:53 am

Man, talk about being bitter! :shock: I do think he's a much better singer than Dave, but if I put up VH's new album versus either of the Chicken foot albums, it wins HANDS-DOWN. I love Sammy, but neither of those albums has held my interest in the least. They seemed like nothing more than jam sessions that were written on the spot, and as excited as I was to hear them the first time... that's also the LAST time I heard them. He needs to go back to writing melodic songs with a good hook to draw us in. Just my $.02, but I don't care for Chickenfoot at all.
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby Ehwmatt » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:51 am

G.I.Jim wrote:

Man, talk about being bitter! :shock: I do think he's a much better singer than Dave, but if I put up VH's new album versus either of the Chicken foot albums, it wins HANDS-DOWN. I love Sammy, but neither of those albums has held my interest in the least. They seemed like nothing more than jam sessions that were written on the spot, and as excited as I was to hear them the first time... that's also the LAST time I heard them. He needs to go back to writing melodic songs with a good hook to draw us in. Just my $.02, but I don't care for Chickenfoot at all.

Haven't cared much for Chickenfoot either. BUt the way I read it, he's talking about musicianship exclusively above, and not songs. And he's spot on in every aspect there.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby brandonx76 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:12 am

G.I.Jim wrote:

Couldn't agree more, now that VH finally has a new product out, the proof is in the results..I'm curious when this was said by Sammy too. He'd have to be pretty bitter to not admit they made a decent album. BTW, I'd much rather listen to an aging Van Halen release of albums into their 70's, than the fucking Rolling Stones - but that's just me..Chickenfoot? hahaha...no way! (and I like Sammy, Joe, Mike and Chad, but get real)
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

A Different Kind Of Truth

Postby No Surprize » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:14 am

Bought it Tuesday. Have listened to it all the way through a lot. 2 times with my son, 16. I'm a huge VH fan. REAL VH fan that is with Diamond Dave on the mic.
Never cared for spammy, his voice, his look, etc. If it weren't for VH, his career would have been like Billy Squier's. GOD I hate that shit. Now on to the CD. I read Andrew's review this morning, since it's overcast, rainy, windy, a getting fucking cold, I have time today. 98? Gimme some of that Kool-aid man! Andrew quoted, " And I guess that might be the one point that some fans or casual VH listeners might grasp on to and bitch about. But the old school VH fans know better. Van Halen never were a chorus band until they started evolving with 1984 and then into the Sammy Hagar era." What? I totally disagree with that and I grew up with the band. Now, I don't quite get what your definition of that may be, but you could certainly understand the lyrics when Dave sung, and you could Distinguish
the chorus from the rest of the tune. From "Runnign with the devil", Jamie's Crying", Feel your Love tonight", "Ain't talkin bout love", "Dance the night away", "Beautiful Girls", "Women In Love", "And the cradle will rock", "Everybody wants some", "Take your whiskey home", there are plenty of VH tunes that you can hear the chorus and sing along to. You Cannot on this one. Beside's "Tattoo" which I think is vintage VH at it's best, "Blood and Fire" which has that Little guitars sound to it, "Stay Frosty", which is vintage Halen, the rest of it is like listening to "Light up the sky", "Loss of control", "Tora Tora" or D.O.A. till your ears bleed! I am, to say the least disappointed. Sure, EVH plays the shit of it, it fucking overshadows the song, and to me, it's all about the song. Can you sing along to it? The answer is no in my book. Now the CD is full of energy, that's a given. And it's refreshing to hear a CD that's real rock n roll and not over-produced, pro-tooled to death snippet ass garbage that most bands make today. Anyone who's been on board the VH wagon since the beginning knows Dave's never had a great singing voice. It's been a lot of years since the 'prime time' so let's be realistic, the guy's catching up to 60 years old. I know what I expect from Dave. I expect to be entertained, nothing more, nothing less. And like my kid said, 'Sounds like DLR with Van Halen to me", yes it does. The lyrics on the CD are vintage Roth. You know what your getting. Roth's lyrics compared to the other mop makes him seem like a hungry Robert Frost, about to write on the road less traveled. "When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor", classic VH. This is still a better CD than anything they ever did post-Roth. But, that isn't tough to do. I like this cd, just don't love it. 7 and a half in my book, by Andrew's 75%.
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby Eyeof » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:43 am

I agree with your review spot on, and you pretty much put into words what I have been feeling on this album, you just can't tell the chorus from the intro, from the end of these songs...

Thanks for expressing that in a way I was failing to....

Now, to say it's better than any Van Hagar album is very silly, but you have stated your Hagar bias.

Thanks for the review..by the way, I love Tattoo as well and was so hooked by it, I could not wait to hear the rest of the album. However, most of the rest sounds like B-sides from the 70's....Tora, Tora and DOA were great examples...
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby jestor92 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:34 am

I've warmed up to the album a bit after hearing it a few times. It's still not anywhere near Andrew's 98% ratings, but it's not a terrible album at all. The album really lacks some catchy chorus parts that was with the band during DLR's first go around and hell even the 2nd go around. Musically speaking it's great to hear EVH tearing shit up like he did the album. Right now my favorite tracks are Outta Space, She's the Woman, Tattoo, and Stay Frosty. Wish the lyrics were stronger and had better melodies, but I'm satisfied with it.
jestor92
8 Track

Previous

Return to Van Halen