Love Eddie BUT...

Ed+Al+Wolf+Dave-Mike(Sammy+Gary=0)=2012 Tour+CD=fans(money)

Moderator: Andrew

Love Eddie BUT...

Postby FamilyMan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:36 am

... Someone needs to tell him to either come up with a new guitar solo or lose it from the set altogether.
He's playing the same "Cathedral"/"Eruption" medley he's been doing for 30 years.

Other than that, a great show.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby masque » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:47 am

i said the same thing on another board and got toasted for it......all i was saying was if you are as talented as EVH it looks like you could come up with a few new licks and ideas after three decades or so. so me an you are on the same page!
masque
8 Track

Postby georgethree33 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:54 am

it's not a solo - Eruption is a song, so is Cathedral. He's been saying that since the start. Why would it change? I don't expect to come to a VH show and hear a different version of You Really Got Me or hear Unchained with completely different lyrics. Alex has a solo. Ed plays a song. It's been this way since they started touring. There's a little variation, but overall - it's remained unchanged.
georgethree33
Fresh Air

Postby jestor92 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:44 am

I don't recall 100%, but wasn't Ed doing part of 'Year To The Day' during the 04 reunion with Hagar?
jestor92
8 Track

Postby FamilyMan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:25 pm

georgethree33 wrote:it's not a solo - Eruption is a song, so is Cathedral. He's been saying that since the start. Why would it change? I don't expect to come to a VH show and hear a different version of You Really Got Me or hear Unchained with completely different lyrics. Alex has a solo. Ed plays a song. It's been this way since they started touring. There's a little variation, but overall - it's remained unchanged.

Alex's solo is different every tour. At least he realizes that the "solo", as it were, is a relic of the 80's and for the most part a piss break for the audience. And he does his best to make it entertaining.
But Eddie can wow the audience if he wants to at that juncture of the show, and instead, chooses to rely on a tired old device that doesn't allow him to stretch himself.

this is a guy with a studio in his house - yet in five years with DLR we have only 13 new tracks, some of which are repurposed 70's demos - and a guitar solo that his roadie has to know by now. Remember when we all heard "Beat It" on Michael Jackson's album? we were floored. When was the last time Eddie did that for us?
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby georgethree33 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:11 pm

That's right - Alex plays a SOLO. Ed plays a song. A solo should change every year - a song remains the same. I don't expect it will ever change. I guess if you're tired of it - that's the time to grab a beer or hit the can.

Though I agree with the lack of new material from the band in the last two decades, he doesn't owe us anything. I'm just glad he's playing like the Eddie of old again - rather than the drunk on the Sammy reunion tour. Remember that Eddie - this one is better. And they did deliver an album that didn't embarass them, so I'm good there too.
georgethree33
Fresh Air

Postby verslibre » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:23 pm

georgethree33 wrote:That's right - Alex plays a SOLO. Ed plays a song. A solo should change every year - a song remains the same.

Eddie's solo does not only consist of "Eruption/Cathedral," does it?
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby masque » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:15 am

verslibre wrote:
georgethree33 wrote:That's right - Alex plays a SOLO. Ed plays a song. A solo should change every year - a song remains the same.

no it doesnt and that's the point.....i dont have a problem with eruption being a big part of his solo time or cathederal for that matter but it's all the in between stuff and YES i do think he can and should change it up a bit.....it's not its me out there doing it this is eddie fucking van halen.....arguably the greatest rock guitarist of his generation.......in three decades surely you can stumble on a lick or two that makes me go "wow, that was different than what he did in 1985 on the without a net concert event on mtv".
masque
8 Track

Postby FamilyMan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:02 am

masque wrote:
verslibre wrote:

no it doesnt and that's the point.....i dont have a problem with eruption being a big part of his solo time or cathederal for that matter but it's all the in between stuff and YES i do think he can and should change it up a bit.....it's not its me out there doing it this is eddie fucking van halen.....arguably the greatest rock guitarist of his generation.......in three decades surely you can stumble on a lick or two that makes me go "wow, that was different than what he did in 1985 on the without a net concert event on mtv".

At least he's not wearing those parachute pants anymore. :roll:
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby ltbob » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:59 am

just watched some live u tube. I think he is playin better than ever! His sound is kickin ass even on p.c.. Im so glad the new record is great, i bought it and didnt have to pitch it. the only thing is we didnt need another F%^KIN 4 thosand dollar guitar that i cant afford.damn.Great record though.
ltbob
Ol' 78

Return to Van Halen