Van Halen with Cherone.

Ed+Al+Wolf+Dave-Mike(Sammy+Gary=0)=2012 Tour+CD=fans(money)

Moderator: Andrew

Postby Kenny » Sun May 06, 2012 11:44 am

masque wrote:i love van halen and i really loved parts of extreme but this mixture didnt work for me.

the vh3 album was awful and EVH has to take some blame for that because he supplied the music and it wasnt very good but Cherone at times on that album flat out sounds off key....he's a very good singer but the melodies he wrote for vh3 were god awful.

and live he has always made me a bit uncomfortable......even back in the extreme days he was certainly fruity acting but not as bad as he was with van halen or it just stood out more with VH.

i would rather hear cherone than see cherone perform.
I agree with your comments about the off key problems. To me he sounded flat at times. I did have the album for a while but ended up selling it. It just isn't very good.
"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know, the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how holy the motives."
Kenny
Cassette Tape

Postby atticus » Fri May 18, 2012 6:22 pm

I dug the album (except How Many Say I) and saw them live on that tour and thought Gary did a pretty good job. I just think he never really got a fair shot back then.
atticus
Ol' 78

Postby Pelata » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:09 am

atticus wrote:I dug the album (except How Many Say I) and saw them live on that tour and thought Gary did a pretty good job. I just think he never really got a fair shot back then.

I like the album well enough. It's not spectacular or anything, and if ranked would come in last in the VH canon, but I still found moments on it I enjoyed.

I saw them on this tour as well and thought Gary did a great job. The fans seemed to love him...of course half the set was DLR era VH which, by that point, had not been played in over 14 years...
Pelata
Cassette Tape

Postby DracIsBack » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:13 am

Andrew wrote:Yes he did. And live, he really struggled with the Sammy stuff.

Not that his king-sized ego would ever allow it, but I think David Lee Roth would struggle even more. The guy is a pretty awful live singer on his own stuff.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby Pelata » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:41 am

DracIsBack wrote:

Not that his king-sized ego would ever allow it, but I think David Lee Roth would struggle even more. The guy is a pretty awful live singer on his own stuff.

Dave could not even begin to sing a Hagar era song...can you imagine him trying to sing "When It's Love" or "Get Up"?
Pelata
Cassette Tape

Postby No Surprize » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:47 am

Pelata wrote:
DracIsBack wrote:

Dave could not even begin to sing a Hagar era song...can you imagine him trying to sing "When It's Love" or "Get Up"?

Who'd want to?
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby DracIsBack » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:51 am

No Surprize wrote:Who'd want to?

LOL - you've managed to turn a technical discussion into a silly-opinions-as-fact-fanboy debate.

Whether you like those songs or not, I maintain that David Lee Roth does not have the live vocal abilities (range, strength, tone) to sing those songs in their original key.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby FamilyMan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:34 am

Hopefully there were better shows than this one? :shock:

"Fire in the Hole" from VH3 is a great song.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby Eyeof » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:19 pm

Hagar rocks! Get over it!

By the way...how is that awesome 'postponed' tour going??? Postponed...LMAO
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby No Surprize » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:49 pm

Eyeof wrote:Hagar rocks! Get over it!

By the way...how is that awesome 'postponed' tour going??? Postponed...LMAO

It's going great. Made more money than Chickenshit's bar hopping circuit club tour. Hagar rocks. LOL! Believe what you will and don that red rocker bandana proudly fanbot.

No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby Eyeof » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:21 am

Okay Wolfie...I'll be sure too...

By the way, try and turn up your MA pre-recorded vox a little more next time and how about telling your dad and uncle to act semi-interested on the next show...

Oh wait, there are not any NEXT shows...your are cancelled...ahhh i mean postponed....
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby masque » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:44 am

ok here's the deal as I see it;

cherone= at times a great singer but has a tendency to choose some strange notes in his melodies. acts very strange live but was pretty great for extreme......the high point for his VH days were due to him embracing the DLR era of VH live. vh 3 album was horrible but he was working with music provided by eddie.

hagar= one of the all time great rock voices.....plain and simple. a superior pure singer to roth and cherone. was initially great for VH but to my ears each VH album with him was weaker than the one before.....they didnt progress with him they regressed with the quality of songs regardless of how well it sold.

roth= simply may be the single greatest rock and roll frontman of all time......great singer in the studio for the original VH albums but never great as a live singer......not because of studio "magic" but because i think he was always lazy and trying "forget the fucking words" kind of guy live.....it was part of his "act". he cannot sing the hagar era VH songs.....his voice is different and he doesnt have the range that sammy does. but i will also say that sammy didnt ever really sound good to me singing the roth tunes as dave's original performances were just "dave being dave" and hard for anyone to replicate.

all of that means to me that I prefer roth era VH tons over the hagar era of VH.....I do like many of the sammy VH songs and 5150 is a great album....but overall I would ten thousand times rather listen to "standing hamptom" or "three lock box" than "balance" or "f.u.c.k". just my two cents worth.
masque
8 Track

Postby Eyeof » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:50 am

I prefer Sammy, but there are some songs that were best left off the Van Hagar setlist and the main one being 'Jump'...man he seemed uncomfortable singing that...

I did like Hagar on "Panama" a lot however and "Ain't Talking Bout' Love" was pretty good...

I also liked some of the Hagar stuff mixed in and would have loved to have heard VH on 'Heavy Metal'...

I did think it was neat when Cherone showed up and could sing it all, but the new album was just not strong enough to support him staying with the band...

I wonder what Roth would sound like on a Sammy song? If you would hear him do one, what would it be?

By the way, I think the two best VH albums are 5150 and Van Halen....Maybe something in each about a band just out of the gate on something new...
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby Pelata » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:15 am

Eyeof wrote:I wonder what Roth would sound like on a Sammy song? If you would hear him do one, what would it be?

Finish What Ya Started
Pelata
Cassette Tape

Postby No Surprize » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:48 am

Eyeof wrote:I prefer Sammy, but there are some songs that were best left off the Van Hagar setlist and the main one being 'Jump'...man he seemed uncomfortable singing that...

I did like Hagar on "Panama" a lot however and "Ain't Talking Bout' Love" was pretty good...

I also liked some of the Hagar stuff mixed in and would have loved to have heard VH on 'Heavy Metal'...

I did think it was neat when Cherone showed up and could sing it all, but the new album was just not strong enough to support him staying with the band...

I wonder what Roth would sound like on a Sammy song? If you would hear him do one, what would it be?

By the way, I think the two best VH albums are 5150 and Van Halen....Maybe something in each about a band just out of the gate on something new...

Poundcake, Black n blue are 2 that come to mind.

No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby Eyeof » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:50 am

I like Black and Blue, kind of a forgotten tune that was actually the first release off of 0U812...

I never really cared for poundcake that much (felt like filler - no pun), but I would love to hear what Roth would bring to that track. I think I might like that....
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby masque » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:28 am

i would like roth singing

summer nights

best of both worlds

good enough
masque
8 Track

Postby Eyeof » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:34 am

Summer Nights is a great call!....
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby JohnH » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:14 pm

masque wrote:i would like roth singing

summer nights

best of both worlds

good enough

Roth trying to sing these would be as fucked up as Gillan attempting Hughes and Coverdale Purple. A pukefest of hideous singing. ( and I'm a fan of Dave and Ian)
JohnH
8 Track

Postby sniper16 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:07 pm

vh3 was a crap record, so were all the subsuquint new songs with sammy, because all were given to the singers with no melody input, the new record is stronger but still weak melody wise, as for cherone live in vh he was good on the dave stuff weak on the sammy and terrible as a front man, walked out on the show about an hour in
sniper16
8 Track

Previous

Return to Van Halen