Van Halen with Cherone.

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Van Halen with Cherone.

Postby Rick » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:24 am

This is cool because MA and EVH both take a turn singing during Why Can't This Be Love. Makes me wonder though, if Cherone's voice was in trouble. He doesn't sound like a singer than can handle that catalog. Sammy's part of it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h2nhSAJ2ns
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby AR » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:08 pm

I saw that tour in Philadelphia. Refreshing because Cherone was willing to do both sides of the catalog. Had he kept his hard rock look from extreme and Eddie had written a better album than VHIII, this lineup would have stood a decent chance.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Rick » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:10 pm

AR wrote:I saw that tour in Philadelphia. Refreshing because Cherone was willing to do both sides of the catalog. Had he kept his hard rock look from extreme and Eddie had written a better album than VHIII, this lineup would have stood a decent chance.

Yeah, I was not a fan of VHIII either.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby Rick » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:17 pm

He certainly holds his own on this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrIQZYnL2Vo
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby AR » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Rick wrote:He certainly holds his own on this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrIQZYnL2Vo

That's the show I was at.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:32 pm

I like VHIII, but I just don't get G.C. in this particular performance.

WTF is he doing at 2:57?? And those "Chorus Line" kicks. Gawd!!

WAY gay. Freakin' fruit!!! :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnWCHt8-Pc0
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Rick » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:53 pm

verslibre wrote:I like VHIII, but I just don't get G.C. in this particular performance.

Did you see him rolling down the steps? Holy shit. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby AR » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:13 pm

verslibre wrote:I like VHIII, but I just don't get G.C. in this particular performance.

I know what you mean. What happened to the Cherone who performed at the Freddie Mercury tribute at Wembley? That was what I was expecting when he joined VH.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:50 pm

This lineup never had a chance.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby jestor92 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:34 am

I thought VH3 was an alright album, it wasn't a good Van Halen album, but it was an alright album. In order for that album to have been a hit the band would've needed someone to take power away from EVH as the album was basically an Eddie solo album.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:45 am

Cherone was great. Fans complained that he danced like a fruitcake, but so what? He capably pulled off both DLR and Sammy's stuff. DLR can barely cover his own stuff. That's not a knock, he's just not much of a vocalist.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby jestor92 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:04 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Cherone was great. Fans complained that he danced like a fruitcake, but so what? He capably pulled off both DLR and Sammy's stuff. DLR can barely cover his own stuff. That's not a knock, he's just not much of a vocalist.

I saw Extreme a couple years back on the Saudes de Rock tour and the band they have now is quite impressive. Cherone though man he can bring it vocally and with stage presence. The dude was sick and the show and he still went out and put on a helleva performace. I personally wish they would've released the 2nd album that they supposedly wrote together.
jestor92
8 Track

Re: Van Halen with Cherone.

Postby JTRock » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:24 am

Rick wrote:This is cool because MA and EVH both take a turn singing during Why Can't This Be Love. Makes me wonder though, if Cherone's voice was in trouble. He doesn't sound like a singer than can handle that catalog. Sammy's part of it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h2nhSAJ2ns

That was cool, awesome to hear EV on vocals! :D
JTRock
Ol' 78

Postby Tito » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:00 am

I liked everything about the Van Halen III era - the album and tour. I do remember fans calling up the local station afterward saying, Cherone was good but a little gay. All the things considering, I thought he was and still is a good frontman.
Tito
Stereo LP

Postby masque » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:32 pm

i love van halen and i really loved parts of extreme but this mixture didnt work for me.

the vh3 album was awful and EVH has to take some blame for that because he supplied the music and it wasnt very good but Cherone at times on that album flat out sounds off key....he's a very good singer but the melodies he wrote for vh3 were god awful.

and live he has always made me a bit uncomfortable......even back in the extreme days he was certainly fruity acting but not as bad as he was with van halen or it just stood out more with VH.

i would rather hear cherone than see cherone perform.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Red13JoePa » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:52 pm

I remember when they invaded Philly on the III tour Mayor Rendell declared it "Van Halen Day" it was pretty cool actually. Good show too.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby mrsromek » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:50 pm

I'll chime in...saw their show at the Rosemont Horizon and I was impressed. Cherone nailed both the Sammy tunes and the DLR tunes. There was a nice mix of both, along with the tunes from 3. One I Want still kicks ass today, IMO. I also like Josephina.
mrsromek
45 RPM

Postby Moose » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Red13JoePa wrote:I remember when they invaded Philly on the III tour Mayor Rendell declared it "Van Halen Day" it was pretty cool actually. Good show too.

The band was still at a point where they could do no wrong. That show was tremendous.
Moose
Cassette Tape

Postby Andrew » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:15 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Cherone was great. Fans complained that he danced like a fruitcake.

Yes he did. And live, he really struggled with the Sammy stuff.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby BRETT5150 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:52 pm

i saw them in sydney and melbourne on that tour, and they were great, but yes, Cherones stage-dress and weird dancing did put me off.....it was very UN-VH!!!
But it was great to see the likes of "Romeo delight" and other Roth tracks back in setlist.
I do agree with Andrew though about the Hagar songs, he had trouble with them.
What is understood need not be discussed
BRETT5150
Ol' 78

Postby verslibre » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:28 am

"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby mrsromek » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:07 am

Do any of you happen to have the Unchained Monsters (Live in Pittsburgh '98) 2 CD set? I do, but for some reason I can't get either disc to play and they worked years ago. I have several VH boots I could trade for a copy ...for example (with Roth): Madison, WI, 1984, Montreal, CAN '82, London, '80. I also have several with Sammy too.
mrsromek
45 RPM

Postby Toast! » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:29 pm

mrsromek wrote:Do any of you happen to have the Unchained Monsters (Live in Pittsburgh '98) 2 CD set?

Hey, I have that show. I sent you a PM regarding the details.
Toast!
Radio Waves

Postby texafana » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:37 pm

I don't & never will, get this guy Gary. How he could sing so good with Extreme (to this day he totally rocks live with Ex), but to so much....totally....fk up the VH gigs is beyond belief. We saw him in Dallas with VH and he pointed his ass at the boys in the band so much it was like he was asking Ed to stick his ax up his ass. The most flamboyant antics I've ever seen in a rock band, totally clashed with the rest of the band visually. Chicks and dicks were both walking out way before the last tune, it was just plain awful. My wife and her friends were like "ooh....yuck...", there was no connect with the audience at all. I swear it was almost like "ha ha...I've already been fired, but legally I have to finish these gigs..so if I'm going out, I'm going all out and I don't mind embarrassing myself or the band!" jeesh....
texafana
Cassette Tape

Postby jestor92 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:34 am

Does anyone have any soundboards of the band with Gary?
jestor92
8 Track

Postby JeremyP » Fri May 04, 2012 2:31 am

VH III is may favorite Van Halen album by far. It's the only one I can listen to front to back without skipping any songs. Well, except for the first greatest hits album but that doesn't count. I don't get why people don't like it. The songs are great and Eddie's guitar tones and playing are some of the best of his career. The only conclusion I can reach is that people don't like things that are good.
JeremyP
LP

Postby masque » Fri May 04, 2012 3:41 am

JeremyP wrote:VH III is may favorite Van Halen album by far. It's the only one I can listen to front to back without skipping any songs. Well, except for the first greatest hits album but that doesn't count. I don't get why people don't like it. The songs are great and Eddie's guitar tones and playing are some of the best of his career. The only conclusion I can reach is that people don't like things that are good.

seriously? are you punking me?
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Fri May 04, 2012 12:22 pm

VH3 is not a bad album and there are great songs on it. i think where it left people wanting more is on the vocals. GC seemed over produced and processed and you couldn't really tell if he could sing (which he can). Plus the live element seemed weak.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby JeremyP » Sat May 05, 2012 3:45 am

masque wrote:seriously? are you punking me?

Nope. Sick of songs about chasing skirt.
JeremyP
LP

Postby mrsromek » Sat May 05, 2012 2:49 pm

I'd take Cherone's dancing ANY DAY over Wolfie on bass & background vocals. It would be like going to see Madonna, yet Roseanne Barr is up there as a background dancer.

Gary knew it wouldn't be long term, and he enjoyed the heck out of the gig while it lasted.
mrsromek
45 RPM

Next

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara