Eddie Van Halen Reveals His Cancer Returned Twice Last Year

Ed+Al+Wolf+Dave-Mike(Sammy+Gary=0)=2012 Tour+CD=fans(money)

Moderator: Andrew

Postby tater1977 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:26 am

by: Matthew Wilkening

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddie-va ... last-year/

In his first interview in years, Eddie Van Halen discloses that his cancer returned twice last year, that he’s emerged victorious in his battle with alcohol, and that his son Wolfgang reminds him of his own father.

Speaking to Esquire magazine, Van Halen explains that last spring doctors found and removed cancer cells from his throat, and the following fall removed another small chunk of his tongue for the same reason. He explains, “I haven’t talked about this, because I don’t talk about this.” It had previously been thought that the guitar legend had been cancer-free for years following the initial 2000 diagnosis and treatment on his tongue.

Fortunately, the interviewer describes the guitar hero as “the healthiest fifty-seven-year-old I’ve ever seen… young and vital and happy, lean and muscled.” Van Halen also reveals that ‘A Different Kind of Truth’ is the first album he’d ever recorded sober — a change credited in large part to Janie, his wife of three years — and that doing so wrecked hell on his nerves:

“I play a solo, and afterwards I was literally shaking.” Everyone’s going ‘Are you all right?’ And I go, ‘I’m f—-ing nervous.’ ‘Yeah, but you’re Eddie Van Halen,’ they say. And I go, ‘I know who I am, but I’m still nervous.’

Much of the credit for the band’s recent flurry of activity after more than a decade away from record stores and arenas is given to Van Halen’s son, Wolfgang, who joined the band on bass at age 15. He current serves as their “field marshall,” choosing setlists, directing the band through rehearsals and helping select which songs made it to the new album.

When asked what his own departed father, himself a musician, would think if he could see his grandson now, Eddie gets choked up: “Oh, God, don’t make me cry… Sometimes I think Wolfie’s him, reincarnated. He would have been so proud.”
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Eddie Van Halen Reveals His Cancer Returned Twice Last Y

Postby JrnyScarab » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:53 am

tater1977 wrote:Eddie Van Halen Reveals His Cancer Returned Twice Last Year

by: Matthew Wilkening

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eddie-va ... last-year/

In his first interview in years, Eddie Van Halen discloses that his cancer returned twice last year, that he’s emerged victorious in his battle with alcohol, and that his son Wolfgang reminds him of his own father.

Speaking to Esquire magazine, Van Halen explains that last spring doctors found and removed cancer cells from his throat, and the following fall removed another small chunk of his tongue for the same reason. He explains, “I haven’t talked about this, because I don’t talk about this.” It had previously been thought that the guitar legend had been cancer-free for years following the initial 2000 diagnosis and treatment on his tongue.

Fortunately, the interviewer describes the guitar hero as “the healthiest fifty-seven-year-old I’ve ever seen… young and vital and happy, lean and muscled.” Van Halen also reveals that ‘A Different Kind of Truth’ is the first album he’d ever recorded sober — a change credited in large part to Janie, his wife of three years — and that doing so wrecked hell on his nerves:

“I play a solo, and afterwards I was literally shaking.” Everyone’s going ‘Are you all right?’ And I go, ‘I’m f—-ing nervous.’ ‘Yeah, but you’re Eddie Van Halen,’ they say. And I go, ‘I know who I am, but I’m still nervous.’

Much of the credit for the band’s recent flurry of activity after more than a decade away from record stores and arenas is given to Van Halen’s son, Wolfgang, who joined the band on bass at age 15. He current serves as their “field marshall,” choosing setlists, directing the band through rehearsals and helping select which songs made it to the new album.

When asked what his own departed father, himself a musician, would think if he could see his grandson now, Eddie gets choked up: “Oh, God, don’t make me cry… Sometimes I think Wolfie’s him, reincarnated. He would have been so proud.”

I just read this article and when I got to the part about his cancer recurring the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. FUCK! Hope he continues to overcome this. I may just have to go see them on this new leg of the tour. You never know what could happen.

GREAT article by the way. Glad to see he has apparently cleaned up for good. Can't believe he gets shaky and nervous just recording a solo in the STUDIO. Has to suck.
JrnyScarab
Cassette Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:29 pm

EVH nervous? No wonder we don't get new solos on stage and hear Cathedral for the 90th time.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Return to Van Halen