Van Halen Cancels remaining shows

Ed+Al+Wolf+Dave-Mike(Sammy+Gary=0)=2012 Tour+CD=fans(money)

Moderator: Andrew

Van Halen Cancels remaining shows

Postby No Surprize » Fri May 18, 2012 6:52 am

VAN HALEN Reportedly Postpones More Than 30 North American Shows - May 17, 2012
According to Pollstar.com, VAN HALEN appears to have postponed over 30 dates on its 2012 North American tour, beginning with the July 7 concert at Uncasville, Connecticut and ending with the September 25 performance in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. There has been no word yet as to the reason for the postponements.

The official press release from United Concerts, which was the promoter for the VAN HALEN concert at in Salt Lake City, Utah, reads: "The VAN HALEN show at EnergySolutions Arena Tuesday, September 4th has been temporarily postponed. Future dates to be announced. The on-sale for this Friday, May 18th is also postponed. Please hold on to your tickets until further information is available. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Remaining VAN HALEN dates:

May 19 - St. Paul, Minn., Xcel Energy Center
May 22 - Kansas City, Mo., Sprint Center
May 24 - Denver, Colo., Pepsi Center
May 27 - Las Vegas, Nev., MGM Grand Garden Arena
Jun. 01 - Los Angeles, Calif., Staples Center
Jun. 03 - Oakland, Calif., Oracle Arena
Jun. 05 - San Jose, Calif., HP Pavilion
Jun. 12 - Anaheim, Calif, Honda Center
Jun. 14 - San Diego, Calif – Viejas Arena
Jun. 16 - Phoenix, Ariz., US Airways Center
Jun. 20 - Dallas, Texas, American Airlines Center
Jun. 22 - San Antonio, Texas, AT&T Center
Jun. 24 - Houston, Texas, Toyota Center
Jun. 26 - New Orleans, La., New Orleans Arena

The following shows are no longer being listed on VAN HALEN's official web site:

Jul. 07 - Uncasville, Ct., Mohegan Sun Arena
Jul. 09 - Hampton, Va., Hampton Coliseum
Jul. 11 - Philadelphia, Pa., Wells Fargo Center
Jul. 13 - East Rutherford, N.J., Izod Center
Jul. 15 - Baltimore, Md., 1st Mariner Arena
Jul. 17 - Rochester N.Y., Blue Cross Arena
Jul. 19 - Detroit, Mich., Joe Louis Arena
Jul. 21 - London, Ontario, John Labatt Centre
Jul. 24 - Toledo, Ohio, Huntington Center
Jul. 26 - Grand Rapids, Mich., Van Andel Arena
Jul. 28 - Cleveland, Ohio, Quicken Loans Arena
Jul. 31 - Fort Wayne, Ind., Allen County Memorial Coliseum
Aug. 02 - Columbus, Ohio, Schottenstein Center
Aug. 04 - Knoxville, Tenn., Thompson-Boiling Arena
Aug. 06 - Memphis, Tenn., FedEx Forum
Aug. 08 - Birmingham, Ala., BJCC Arena
Aug. 10 - Greenville, S.C., BI-LO Center
Aug. 12 - Cincinnati, Ohio, US Bank Arena
Aug. 21 - Spokane, Wash., Spokane Arena
Aug. 23 - Portland, Ore., Rose Garden
Aug. 25 - Sacramento, Calif.,Power Balance Pavilion
Aug. 28 - Fresno, Calif., Save Mart Center
Aug. 30 - Reno, Nev., Reno Events Center
Sep. 04 – Salt Lake City, Utah - EnergySolutions Arena
Sep. 08 - Albuquerque, N.M., Tingley Coliseum
Sep. 11 - El Paso, Texas, Don Haskins Center
Sep. 13 - Austin, Texas, Frank Erwin Center
Sep. 15 - Oklahoma City, Okla., Chesapeake Energy Arena
Sep. 17 - Wichita, Kan. – Intrust Bank Arena
Sep. 21 - Moline, Ill., Iwireless Center
Sep. 25 - Milwaukee, Wis., Bradley Center

VAN HALEN's new album, "A Different Kind Of Truth", has sold 377,000 copies in the United States since its February 7 release, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Canceling this many means something is very wrong. I hope the "C" didn't come back.
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby G.I.Jim » Fri May 18, 2012 7:48 am

SHIT SHIT SHIT!!!!! Dammit all to hell! :evil: :cry: I was planning on going to the August concert in NC. Damn this news just ruined my day. :(
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby Rick » Fri May 18, 2012 9:24 am

G.I.Jim wrote:SHIT SHIT SHIT!!!!! Dammit all to hell! :evil: :cry: I was planning on going to the August concert in NC. Damn this news just ruined my day. :(

I hear ya. I didn't know if I was going to make a show or not, but the Dallas one is still there. That show has been sold out since I first checked on it in February though.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby lowdbrent » Fri May 18, 2012 11:58 am

They are not canceled...just postponed.
lowdbrent
Ol' 78

Postby atticus » Fri May 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Well,there goes my plans to see them in Reno on the 30th of August. I just hope its just a minor glitch and not something major like EVH drinking again.
atticus
Ol' 78

Postby MRM » Sat May 19, 2012 12:43 am

lowdbrent wrote:They are not canceled...just postponed.

That's right. A lot of people use the word cancel in the place of postpone. They have two different meanings. Postpone means delay and cancel means will not be rescheduled.
MRM
Radio Waves

Postby Eyeof » Sat May 19, 2012 1:31 am

I'm telling you, I've seen them before and something just seemed a miss when I saw them a couple of weeks ago. Seemed like something just wan't right...I hope all is well with them in that respect...
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby Arkansas » Sat May 19, 2012 3:23 am

Radio rumor is that nobody in the band is talking to each other, and Wolfie has stepped-up to leadership. The other three just show-up for the gigs. They're calling it quits on 6/26.

But we all know about rumors...

later~
Arkansas
Cassette Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Sat May 19, 2012 3:59 am

This surprises us?
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby AR » Sat May 19, 2012 6:13 am

AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Squidward24 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:09 am

If they've lasted thing long I'd say egos are not the problem. The TMZ article mentions burnout, too. Much too soon. I'd buy that over infighting. Planning could have been better, a month on, two weeks off then repeat.

But until we get an official explanation, I'm sticking to burnout.
Oww. My aching tentacles.
Squidward24
Ol' 78

Postby Rick » Sat May 19, 2012 10:48 am

Squidward24 wrote:If they've lasted thing long I'd say egos are not the problem. The TMZ article mentions burnout, too. Much too soon. I'd buy that over infighting. Planning could have been better, a month on, two weeks off then repeat.

They've done tours that lasted much longer than this, and not so recently. I don't buy the burnout theory.

I'm thinking it's either infighting, or Dave's voice is taking a shit. I can't decide on which.
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby AR » Sat May 19, 2012 11:20 am

Rick wrote:
Squidward24 wrote:If they've lasted thing long I'd say egos are not the problem. The TMZ article mentions burnout, too. Much too soon. I'd buy that over infighting. Planning could have been better, a month on, two weeks off then repeat.

They've done tours that lasted much longer than this, and not so recently. I don't buy the burnout theory.

I'm thinking it's either infighting, or Dave's voice is taking a shit. I can't decide on which.

I do, think about how Alex has to bash those skins at age 60 and how DLR's voice has gotten worse since January. Well they could always just lip. :lol:

TMZ would love to post if there were really any infighting. Burnout isn't exactly a "sexy" story.
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Don » Sat May 19, 2012 3:45 pm

http://www.vhnd.com/2012/05/18/van-hale ... tend-tour/

Just when we all were beginning to think we were going to get a killer Van Halen album and an entire tour without any drama whatsoever, look what happens!
Yesterday, Van Halen POSTPONED (not canceled!) most of their Summer tour dates with no reason given. Immediately, speculation ran wild. Fans wondered if there were health issues. Rolling Stone quotes a mysterious “source with knowledge of the tour” who supposedly said the band members “hate each other” and are “arguing like mad.”
The Van Halen News Desk now has some answers form our trusted and proven sources. Other than those Summer dates having to be moved, it’s actually good news.
First off, no one in the band is sick. No health problems.
Second, we knew right away that Rolling Stone’s “source” is completely wrong, and can not possibly be a person with actual inside knowledge of the tour, because all four band members have been getting along splendidly throughout the entire tour. Roth and the Van Halen’s talk every day, and they are all smiles on stage. Everyone who’s seen the tour or even youtube videos can confirm that.
In fact, the band is on such a high from playing together this year and they were really taken aback by the Rolling Stone quote. They’re older and wiser and haven’t had any issues with one another.
Why were these dates postponed? The band has been working tirelessly for the last 18 months – writing and recording “A Different Kind Of Truth”, filming the “Tattoo” video, rehearsing, putting together the show themselves (lighting, the videos, the stage, routing the tour, and lots of behind the scenes stuff that most people don’t even know about). The band wants the second leg to be as awesome as the first. And for that to happen they want to put more time into the planning of it. Not just continue on with the same show.
Van Halen is very enthusiastic about the rest of the tour and wants be on the road for a long time. Just how long remains to be seen, but we’ll say that the tour will probably continue into next year. They are now considering touring Australia and Japan in the near future.
As it stands now, the 31 postponed US shows are due to be rescheduled. There should be some sort of official announcement forthcoming.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby No Surprize » Sat May 19, 2012 11:18 pm

Don wrote:http://www.vhnd.com/2012/05/18/van-halen-getting-along-fine-taking-a-break-and-planning-to-extend-tour/

Just when we all were beginning to think we were going to get a killer Van Halen album and an entire tour without any drama whatsoever, look what happens!
Yesterday, Van Halen POSTPONED (not canceled!) most of their Summer tour dates with no reason given. Immediately, speculation ran wild. Fans wondered if there were health issues. Rolling Stone quotes a mysterious “source with knowledge of the tour” who supposedly said the band members “hate each other” and are “arguing like mad.”
The Van Halen News Desk now has some answers form our trusted and proven sources. Other than those Summer dates having to be moved, it’s actually good news.
First off, no one in the band is sick. No health problems.
Second, we knew right away that Rolling Stone’s “source” is completely wrong, and can not possibly be a person with actual inside knowledge of the tour, because all four band members have been getting along splendidly throughout the entire tour. Roth and the Van Halen’s talk every day, and they are all smiles on stage. Everyone who’s seen the tour or even youtube videos can confirm that.
In fact, the band is on such a high from playing together this year and they were really taken aback by the Rolling Stone quote. They’re older and wiser and haven’t had any issues with one another.
Why were these dates postponed? The band has been working tirelessly for the last 18 months – writing and recording “A Different Kind Of Truth”, filming the “Tattoo” video, rehearsing, putting together the show themselves (lighting, the videos, the stage, routing the tour, and lots of behind the scenes stuff that most people don’t even know about). The band wants the second leg to be as awesome as the first. And for that to happen they want to put more time into the planning of it. Not just continue on with the same show.
Van Halen is very enthusiastic about the rest of the tour and wants be on the road for a long time. Just how long remains to be seen, but we’ll say that the tour will probably continue into next year. They are now considering touring Australia and Japan in the near future.
As it stands now, the 31 postponed US shows are due to be rescheduled. There should be some sort of official announcement forthcoming.

I can agree with this. People tend to forget the writing & recording aspect of it, not to mention every other detail. I'm just glad it was nothing health related to Edward Van Halen, the last of the great guitar heros!
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby Don » Sun May 20, 2012 3:46 pm

Diamond Dave speaks.

http://vimeo.com/42480835
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby AR » Mon May 21, 2012 12:26 am

Don wrote:Diamond Dave speaks.

Good enough for me!

Women In Love and Beautiful Girls from last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU3HVpje ... ure=relmfu

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby JTRock » Mon May 21, 2012 2:03 am

AR wrote:

Good enough for me!

Me too. If the reports about Wolfie being the glue are true, it's because he's in his 20s and he has the energy.
JTRock
Ol' 78

Postby FamilyMan » Mon May 21, 2012 11:17 pm

Poor Wolfie. :cry:
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby FamilyMan » Tue May 22, 2012 1:56 am

This is classic Roth/VH double speak. If he wanted to "set fans straight," he should have the other guys in the video with him.
This has all become tired. And the reality is, the music just isn't good enough anymore for the fans to be jerked around like this all the time.
Money's tight in everyone's household - especially in their demo - and for people to lay out good coin for Van Halen tickets, only to be cancalled or "postponed" is an insult.

"C'mon Dave, give us a break"
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby G.I.Jim » Tue May 22, 2012 7:40 am

FamilyMan wrote:

This is classic Roth/VH double speak. If he wanted to "set fans straight," he should have the other guys in the video with him.
This has all become tired. And the reality is, the music just isn't good enough anymore for the fans to be jerked around like this all the time.
Money's tight in everyone's household - especially in their demo - and for people to lay out good coin for Van Halen tickets, only to be cancalled or "postponed" is an insult.

I have to disagree here. I think the new album is amazing! I also understand that they need to take a break to rest up. I'm sure being on the road with Dave is TOUGH, and is probably enough to drive anyone to drink! If they need to break up the tour to keep the peace, I'm all for it! I'd rather them pace themselves and put on a great show, rather than burn out, fight, start drinking again, and give us a terrible show. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the shows to get a new date. :wink:
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby FamilyMan » Wed May 23, 2012 1:52 pm

G.I.Jim wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:

I have to disagree here. I think the new album is amazing! I also understand that they need to take a break to rest up. I'm sure being on the road with Dave is TOUGH, and is probably enough to drive anyone to drink! If they need to break up the tour to keep the peace, I'm all for it! I'd rather them pace themselves and put on a great show, rather than burn out, fight, start drinking again, and give us a terrible show. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the shows to get a new date. :wink:

Jim -
They've been sitting on their asses for 4 years. They need a break after touring 4 months? And regardless of how good or bad the record is -- and let's say it IS amazing -- we've gotten a grand total of 15 new tracks from these guys in 27 years. If they can't be at least somewhat more prolific or get through a few months doing a nightly 90 minute set, then we as fans should tell them politely to hang it up.
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby Joe Vana » Wed May 23, 2012 4:20 pm

FamilyMan wrote:
G.I.Jim wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:

Jim -
They've been sitting on their asses for 4 years. They need a break after touring 4 months? And regardless of how good or bad the record is -- and let's say it IS amazing -- we've gotten a grand total of 15 new tracks from these guys in 27 years. If they can't be at least somewhat more prolific or get through a few months doing a nightly 90 minute set, then we as fans should tell them politely to hang it up.

I have to agree with Jim....and....Have you gone on tour lately???? The travel sucks, and they spent about 6 hard months in the studio (again, have you done that on a major release), plus other things to prepare for release.....and when you tour you are paid to travel, not to play....said by a good friend who tours 8 months a year.....NO amount of money is a substitute for rest....and these guys need one....

You can tell them to hang it up, the other 99.9% of us fans will go see them play and enjoy a great show....thanks for saving me a seat.....

JV
The World was flat once....what happened??
Joe Vana
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Wed May 23, 2012 6:26 pm

Oh, if only the worst thing I had to worry about was something along the lines of "Can I make my bass/guitar/keyboard line stand out better in the mix on my umpteenth album for Warner Bros?" :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Stereo LP

Postby Eyeof » Thu May 24, 2012 3:21 am

I don't know JV, I can def sympathize with life on the road and way too much travel, but I'm not sure the guy who has put in 30 years, day in and day out at the factory or on an assembly line really has that much for people who have worked about two years in the last 27...

With that said, it is supply and demand and they can pretty much do what they want, and as long as we are willing to shell out the money for tix and CD's they have that right and can still do it any way they want.

I will say this, I would rather see a band cancel a show alltoghether, than sit through a deal like Def Leppard when Elliot clearly has no voice left...At this point our time is too precious to waste on that and I'm quite sure they had their reasons for doing what they are doing.

I did see them a few weeks back and thought something with a miss...Might have been a deal where the sound was off, or who knows...

And by the way, I love the new album and loved them in 2007....
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Thu May 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Joe Vana wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:
G.I.Jim wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:

Jim -

I have to agree with Jim....and....Have you gone on tour lately???? The travel sucks, and they spent about 6 hard months in the studio (again, have you done that on a major release), plus other things to prepare for release.....and when you tour you are paid to travel, not to play....said by a good friend who tours 8 months a year.....NO amount of money is a substitute for rest....and these guys need one....

You can tell them to hang it up, the other 99.9% of us fans will go see them play and enjoy a great show....thanks for saving me a seat.....

JV

Actually, yes -- have been on the road. I am in the I.A. stagehands union in NJ, I've done tours, and by the way -- the guys and gals who have it tough are the roadies. They work load-ins from 7am in the morning... build the show all day... work throughout the show... then tear it down for 4-5 hours after the encore (which in the case of Van Halen is one song - "Jump" if they decide to play it). They get on a bus, sleep for maybe 3 or 4 more hours - and do it all over again. So please -- don't cry me a river about how hard it is on the band, who fly private jets to and from gigs -- play for 90 minutes and take limos back to hotel suites.
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby Arkansas » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:38 am

Arkansas
Cassette Tape

Return to Van Halen